Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

Quote from: Sir Slash on November 13, 2022, 11:44:00 PM
I'm sure the administration that didn't mind throwing away all that money, effort, and weapons in Afghanistan....will do a much better job of managing things this time.

I don't know why you keep comparing this to Afghanistan when it's clearly apples to oranges.  To quote Jules Winnfield, "It ain't the same ballpark, it ain't the same league, it ain't even the same sport!" 

If you're picking a bone with a specific "administration" of current/recent years, please keep it out of this thread because that's R&P turf.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

Quote from: al_infierno on November 14, 2022, 12:27:40 AM

If you're picking a bone with a specific "administration" of current/recent years, please keep it out of this thread because that's R&P turf.

Exactly. Everyone move on please. The discussion of aid to Ukraine is only proper to the extent it focuses on its impact on the war and the strategic situation.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

ArizonaTank

Russia's Wagner Group executes one of its own with a sledgehammer to the head and publishes the video.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/sledgehammer-execution-of-russian-mercenary-who-defected-to-ukraine-shown-in-video/ar-AA1443Lx?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=f2b021ffd15243079b9d082e28937795

This video is "unverified," but the head of Wagner Group (Prigozhin) said that the video should be called "A dog receives a dog's death".

This is real Isis-type stuff.

Just reminds me of the old Maya Angelou quote: "When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time."
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Crossroads

Quote from: ArizonaTank on November 14, 2022, 11:04:14 AM

Just reminds me of the old Maya Angelou quote: "When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time."

Another atrocity on their long list of atrocities, with a difference this time they did it to one of their own. No wonder Ukrainians are determined to fight the Russians off from their occupied territories no matter what. (I have not watched nor will I watch that video, but have seen enough about its details in written form)

Seems Russia is determined to do their utmost to keep the Western democracies supporting Ukraine, despite breaking of that will pretty much their only remaining option to get something out from this war of theirs.

Torture chambers, all sorts of horrors revealed everywhere they were chased out from. The military formation that did the atrocities in Bucha was decorated, let us not forget that.

Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Sir Slash

I won't watch it. Geez, is a bullet to brain too painless for these people? I've just been reading, Island Infernos about the Army's war in the Pacific. The battles were brutal beyond compare but no one tried to sensationalize it or broadcast their brutality to others.  :hide:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Sir Slash on November 14, 2022, 12:10:36 PM
I won't watch it. Geez, is a bullet to brain too painless for these people? I've just been reading, Island Infernos about the Army's war in the Pacific. The battles were brutal beyond compare but no one tried to sensationalize it or broadcast their brutality to others.  :hide:

Maybe the Russians are out of bullets now too?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Crossroads

On a lighter note, an indicative estimate of Ukrainian losses. Saving Private Raccoon!  :knuppel2:

https://twitter.com/MicZiel/status/1592038149051805698
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

JasonPratt

I get the joke except for the raccoon -- did someone film the Orks absconding with one?!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Windigo

Plus one rare/endangered Ukrainian Hamster (true - Wagner apparently also is sadistic to animals, not just people)
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Gusington

They killed an adorable fucking hamster?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 14, 2022, 01:36:13 PM
I get the joke except for the raccoon -- did someone film the Orks absconding with one?!

Yes, it has become great meme fuel in Ukraine. When the Russians left Kherson, they stole the Raccoon from the zoo; there is a video.

https://english.nv.ua/nation/ukrainians-react-to-theft-of-kherson-zoo-raccoon-by-russian-soldiers-50283755.html

According to our man Denys Davydov, there is even an online petition to add the 'return of the raccoon' to Ukraine's official demands for peace.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

ArizonaTank

Ukrainians may be keeping the heat on the Kherson retreat...

I have seen several "rumors" of Ukrainian landings at Kinburn Spit (that little finger of land sticking out into the Black Sea on the Russian side of the Dnieper).

Forbes and Sky News have reported possible landings...being careful to characterize the information as "rumors."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2022/11/14/a-strategic-strip-of-sand-rumors-of-ukrainian-raids-as-russian-forces-retreat-keep-an-eye-on-the-kinburn-spit/?sh=2d0d8908304d

If so, it might be a way to get around Russian fortifications opposite Kherson.

Or, could just be raids to keep the Russians off-balance.

Or, could just be Ukrainian head fake.

If true, I would think they are just raids. Would be difficult for the Ukrainians to sustain a real offensive from there...and easy for the Russians to eventually seal them off. But then again, many classic attacks in history, come from where the enemy is least expecting it....
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Sir Slash

And now the poor raccoon has been, 'mobilized' into the army no doubt. "Pvt. R.A. Coon from Kherson. Thank you for volunteering private". With the Russians record, he'll be an officer shortly.  ;D
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

FarAway Sooner

Quote from: Sir Slash on November 14, 2022, 04:23:50 PM
And now the poor raccoon has been, 'mobilized' into the army no doubt. "Pvt. R.A. Coon from Kherson. Thank you for volunteering private". With the Russians record, he'll be an officer shortly.  ;D

My thinking is that they just promote him to Master Sergeant.  Once he becomes an officer, he gets to start dipping into the paychecks of all the enlisted soldiers who aren't actually physically present in the unit.  I doubt the Russian officer ranks would want to have to share stolen money with a racoon.