Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Windigo on November 15, 2022, 06:19:46 PM
Real News Network????? Real News. Seriously? I am for balancing one's news sources, but them???

And Andrew, the Crimea is definitely doable IMO. Especially if the AFU keeps the pressure on all winter and keeps messing with their logistics.

What is wrong with TRNN? How is it any more susceptible to criticism than say CNN, MSN or Fox?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Windigo

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 15, 2022, 06:23:48 PM
Quote from: Windigo on November 15, 2022, 06:19:46 PM
Real News Network????? Real News. Seriously? I am for balancing one's news sources, but them???

And Andrew, the Crimea is definitely doable IMO. Especially if the AFU keeps the pressure on all winter and keeps messing with their logistics.

What is wrong with TRNN? How is it any more susceptible to criticism than say CNN, MSN or Fox?

It isn't more suscepttible (nice choice of words BTW). Have I had any good words about those other guys? It seems to be entertainment and circle jerking down there for ratings now.... and bad polling.   ;D
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Skoop

The Ritter interview must be weeks old as he listed Kherson as one of the unattainable objectives so....I guess if Ukraine followed his pessimist attitude, the Kharkov offensive wouldn't have happened and Kherson would still be Russian.

If Ukraine wants to continue and it can be sustained let them.  I still like the idea of this ending with a negotiated DMZ at the pre 2014 Russ Ukraine boarder, with Sebastopol inside the DMZ or even partitioned like cold war Berlin.  Might be the best settlement for both sides, then let western prosperity finish off Russia over decades like the USSR in the cold war.     

Uberhaus

Oh oh, Pizzacon 4?!
On a more serious note, the BBC is reporting that the missiles may be s-300s.
"The BBC has been unable to verify these pictures, but we've spoken to three defence experts about what they show.

Mark Cancian, from think tank CSIS, believes it may be from an S-300 system. This type of missile is typically used for surface-to-air attacks, and has been used by both Russia and Ukraine throughout the war.Who fired the missile is unclear," says J Andrés Gannon, a security expert at the US Council on Foreign Relations, who agrees that it may be from an S-300 system.

"We know Russia has been using the S-300 for ground attacks even though it's an air defence system, but Ukraine also uses them for air defence against cruise missiles."

Dr Justin Bronk, a senior fellow at think tank Rusi, agrees that it may be from an S-300 system, but there isn't enough evidence to identify it yet.

Both sides are using s-300s but Russia is using them to attack ground targets and Belorussian territory is in range of Przewodow.  If Russia launched a highly inaccurate missile in ground attack at Ukrainian targets so close to the Polish border, it confirms Kasparov's statement that Putin thinks he is playing chess but that he is playing checkers.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Skoop on November 15, 2022, 06:36:19 PM
The Ritter interview must be weeks old as he listed Kherson as one of the unattainable objectives so....I guess if Ukraine followed his pessimist attitude, the Kharkov offensive wouldn't have happened and Kherson would still be Russian.

If Ukraine wants to continue and it can be sustained let them.  I still like the idea of this ending with a negotiated DMZ at the pre 2014 Russ Ukraine boarder, with Sebastopol inside the DMZ or even partitioned like cold war Berlin.  Might be the best settlement for both sides, then let western prosperity finish off Russia over decades like the USSR in the cold war.     

You have to consider the source.  Ritter's had a pretty awful track record of being correct about this Special Military Operation war from the beginning.   From his initial insistence that the Russians would never invade, to him predicting the war would last less than a week once it began, to his instance that the UAF would be incapable of mounting any counteroffensive operations over the summer. 

He's been doing this a while too.  He's been supportive of the Assad regime and has directly blamed Russian/Assad atrocities on Syrian Rebels.  He's also been a guest on Russian state run TV spreading what he must know is Russian disinformation to the Russian public. 

He directly ignored evidence to the contrary when he blamed the Ukrainians for the Bucha massacre.  That's what earned him his Twitter ban. 

Some journalists have suggested that Ritter is compromised.  In his case I tend to believe it.  He's been caught twice trying to solicit children for sex and was convicted once.  That sounds to me like a guy with a lot of skeletons in his closet.  He only got caught twice, think of all the times he probably wasn't.

I imagine it would probably be pretty easy for the Russians to exert a lot of influence over him.   

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

The Ritter interview is from November 4, IIRC.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: SirAndrewD on November 15, 2022, 07:19:09 PM
Quote from: Skoop on November 15, 2022, 06:36:19 PM

You have to consider the source.  Ritter's had a pretty awful track record of being correct about this Special Military Operation war from the beginning.   From his initial insistence that the Russians would never invade, to him predicting the war would last less than a week once it began, to his instance that the UAF would be incapable of mounting any counteroffensive operations over the summer. 

He's been doing this a while too.  He's been supportive of the Assad regime and has directly blamed Russian/Assad atrocities on Syrian Rebels.  He's also been a guest on Russian state run TV spreading what he must know is Russian disinformation to the Russian public. 

He directly ignored evidence to the contrary when he blamed the Ukrainians for the Bucha massacre.  That's what earned him his Twitter ban. 

Some journalists have suggested that Ritter is compromised.  In his case I tend to believe it.  He's been caught twice trying to solicit children for sex and was convicted once.  That sounds to me like a guy with a lot of skeletons in his closet.  He only got caught twice, think of all the times he probably wasn't.

I imagine it would probably be pretty easy for the Russians to exert a lot of influence over him.

i know next to nothing about Scott Ritter other than that he served honorably in the Marine Corps for 12 years and was a weapons inspector for UNSCOM. That being said, a lot of the allegations you are making seem to sound very similar to the ones that were leveled against Trump when being accused of Russian collusion, which we now know was a complete fabricated hoax. it seems very possible that Ritter has been targeted by the US DOJ because of his public opposition to and criticism of various US foreign policies...I mean that, or he is, in fact, just a child molesting douche. 

My point is, you have to have healthy skepticism and ask questions.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 15, 2022, 07:44:14 PM
i know next to nothing about Scott Ritter other than that he served honorably in the Marine Corps for 12 years and was a weapons inspector for UNSCOM. That being said, a lot of the allegations you are making seem to sound very similar to the ones that were leveled against Trump when being accused of Russian collusion, which we now know was a complete fabricated hoax. it seems very possible that Ritter has been targeted by the US DOJ because of his public opposition to and criticism of various US foreign policies...I mean that, or he is, in fact, just a child molesting douche. 

My point is, you have to have healthy skepticism and ask questions.

The other side of the coin is, of course, that he's largely said that the accusations made against him, including the sex solicitation, has been a conspiracy to silence him. 

Healthy skepticism is always best either way.   As I said, I don't even entirely disagree with a lot of the points in his interview and I know he's got a lot of knowledge on the subject.   The fact that he does has been largely one of the reasons I'm so skeptical of him because he's made statements and accusations that he absolutely has to know are at least misleading if not outright false. 

As always the best thing to do is listen to the substance of his argument and do your own research. 

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Crossroads

Hmm, apparently it wasn't a Russian missile, despite the fact Russia saying it wasn't their missile.

Question: Is it true you always lie?
Radio Yerevan: No! We always lie only the sheer truth.
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Crossroads on November 16, 2022, 07:56:36 AM
Hmm, apparently it wasn't a Russian missile, despite the fact Russia saying it wasn't their missile.

The latest information is that it was a Ukrainian missile that missed badly after it was fired to shoot down Russian incoming missiles.

I suppose if the incident has an upside it is that Russia got to see first-hand how quickly NATO reacted.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: ArizonaTank on November 16, 2022, 09:17:42 AM
Quote from: Crossroads on November 16, 2022, 07:56:36 AM

The latest information is that it was a Ukrainian missile that missed badly after it was fired to shoot down Russian incoming missiles.

I suppose if the incident has an upside it is that Russia got to see first-hand how quickly NATO reacted.

Would have been something if a Ukrainian missile triggered WWIII.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

ArizonaTank

The sniper war: Ukraine's army claimed on Wednesday to have made the world's second-longest sniper kill shot, at a distance of 1.68 miles, or 2.7 kilometers.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ukraine-says-sniper-killed-russian-soldier-almost-1-7-miles-away-which-it-claims-is-the-second-longest-kill-on-record/ar-AA14b8Q7?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=c97df78a3c9948bca5b3c0943c59c86a

The video on Telegram is a little grainy, but still sobering:
https://t.me/AFUStratCom/9621
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Groggy

The missile that landed in Poland definitely emphasizes how Russia's relentless strikes on Ukraine civilian infrastructure threatens NATO, because intercepting them can lead to accidents.
''War is the unfolding of miscalculations.''-Barbara Tuchman

Sir Slash

I agree. Whether or not the missile was Russian or Ukrainian, the Russians are clearly at fault for shooting things into other peoples' countries. It is sad that innocents have to die because of it.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.