Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

Quote from: Gusington on December 22, 2022, 01:07:48 PM
Me too - I noticed how much he has aged in the last year on tv last night. I don't know how he deals with stress like that every single day.

Maybe he follows the often grim humour from @uamemesforces to keep his spirits up.

https://twitter.com/uamemesforces/status/1606000832293441536
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Windigo on December 22, 2022, 01:25:04 PM
Me too - I noticed how much he has aged in the last year on tv last night. I don't know how he deals with stress like that every single day.

There are reasons why most great wartime leaders drank and smoked.

There was some heated discourse in certain circles about his choice of wardrobe for the speech. For my money, for a leader in midst of a horrific invasion, he was spot on. A visual reminder that only hours before, the man had stepped off of the battlefield at Bakhmut.  Mensch of the Year? Hell Yes!!!!
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Sir Slash

I would think to address the nation who's generosity has saved his people from death and enslavement, putting on a suit and tie wouldn't be too much. 
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

FarAway Sooner

Quote from: Sir Slash on December 22, 2022, 07:45:37 PM
I would think to address the nation who's generosity has saved his people from death and enslavement, putting on a suit and tie wouldn't be too much.

I would think, for a President whose people are fighting and dying everyday to stave off death and enslavement, it's more important to communicate solidarity with your people than kowtow to the etiquette of your comfortably remote benefactors. 

It's purely my opinion, but I think WE should be grateful to them for thwarting Russian ambitions.  Asking him to dress up seems to me that we're asking him to show gratitude to us for spending money when they're spending the lives of their soldiers and civilians to fight a common foe.

GDS_Starfury

QuoteI would think, for a President whose people are fighting and dying everyday to stave off death and enslavement, it's more important to communicate solidarity with your people than kowtow to the etiquette of your comfortably remote benefactors. 

It's purely my opinion, but I think WE should be grateful to them for thwarting Russian ambitions.  Asking him to dress up seems to me that we're asking him to show gratitude to us for spending money when they're spending the lives of their soldiers and civilians to fight a common foe.

100%  :bd:
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Groggy

QuoteI would think, for a President whose people are fighting and dying everyday to stave off death and enslavement, it's more important to communicate solidarity with your people than kowtow to the etiquette of your comfortably remote benefactors.

100%

Quote from: Sir Slash on December 22, 2022, 07:45:37 PM

The man has been living in a battlefield for the past year. He has been fighting alongside his countrymen and his clothing reflects his leadership and resolve. Learn from history. Winston Churchill wore his air raid suit to the White House in 1941.
''War is the unfolding of miscalculations.''-Barbara Tuchman

Gusington

Zelensky has to live with a price on his head for the rest of his life while his country is shredded to pieces. He can wear whatever he wants.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I would think someone who really wishes to show respect for their supporters would wear better than a Work-Out Suit when thanking them for saving their country. Does the man not own a single suit? If he were at the front fighting Russians he should wear whatever he wants. But there weren't any bullets or bombs aimed at him standing in the well of Congress. So what's the problem? Should he also have worn his Kevlar Vest? What about carrying an AK? Or maybe hand grenades? I bet he didn't arrive in a Humvee or eat C- Rations while chatting with Joe. If you are the representative of a whole nation of people fighting for their survival, dress like you'd want them to be seen by the whole world.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Con

Quote from: Sir Slash on December 22, 2022, 11:49:14 PM
I would think someone who really wishes to show respect for their supporters would wear better than a Work-Out Suit when thanking them for saving their country. Does the man not own a single suit? If he were at the front fighting Russians he should wear whatever he wants. But there weren't any bullets or bombs aimed at him standing in the well of Congress. So what's the problem? Should he also have worn his Kevlar Vest? What about carrying an AK? Or maybe hand grenades? I bet he didn't arrive in a Humvee or eat C- Rations while chatting with Joe. If you are the representative of a whole nation of people fighting for their survival, dress like you'd want them to be seen by the whole world.
This seems to be the most asinine thing to get your panties in a bunch over

GDS_Starfury

Slash doesnt get the Pavlichenko effect that he pulled off.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Groggy

A suit and tie is not an indication of respect or respectability.
Putin wears a suit and tie all the time, still is a mass murderer, dictator and pariah.
''War is the unfolding of miscalculations.''-Barbara Tuchman

Pete Dero

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1605646333175422977

Zelensky told me he wouldn't go back to wearing a suit and tie and shaving his beard until Ukrainian victory in the war.

Skoop

Quote from: ArizonaTank on December 22, 2022, 03:01:26 PM
Quote from: Windigo on December 22, 2022, 01:25:04 PM

There are reasons why most great wartime leaders drank and smoked.

There was some heated discourse in certain circles about his choice of wardrobe for the speech. For my money, for a leader in midst of a horrific invasion, he was spot on. A visual reminder that only hours before, the man had stepped off of the battlefield at Bakhmut.  Mensch of the Year? Hell Yes!!!!

I noticed that discourse too, it was the same discourse 2 weeks ago, after he was named man of the year, ranting about Zelenzky banning Christian's and keeping Ukraine under martial law when this war is supposed to be about Ukraine democracy.  When you read into the story, none of it was true, but it leaves me scratching my head why members of the right wing want to shit on Zelenzky and Ukraine so much....it's just a bad look politically.

Gusington

Maybe all of Zelensky's suits have been burned up in the ongoing bombardment of Ukraine.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao