Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

Lots of speculation at the moment following France's decision to send AMX-10 RC "tanks" to Ukraine, and with US to send (?) Bradleys, Germany would finally allow Marders to Ukraine, too. Here's hoping.

In other news, now I am really curious as how would one categorise an AMX-10 RC. RC apparently stands for "wheeled gun". Why not. A bit like a Volvo with a main gun, then.
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Gusington on January 05, 2023, 01:05:04 PM
No, only the prisoners...which is almost the entire country.

Well, Prigozhin was seen in a video giving the newly pardoned men some good life advice  ::)

"Don't drink too much, don't take drugs, don't rape women."

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/05/world/europe/russia-pardon-prisoners-ukraine-wagner.html
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Crossroads

It's happening  :clap:

QuotePresident Biden and Chancellor Scholz expressed their common determination to continue to provide the necessary financial, humanitarian, military and diplomatic support to Ukraine for as long as needed. To this end, the United States intends to supply Ukraine with Bradley Infantry Fighting Vehicles, and Germany intends to provide Ukraine with Marder Infantry Fighting Vehicles. Both countries plan to train Ukrainian forces on the respective systems.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2023/01/05/joint-press-statement-following-a-call-between-the-president-joe-biden-and-the-chancellor-of-the-federal-republic-of-germany-olaf-scholz/

Edit Germany's sending a PATRIOT system as well!

QuoteIn light of Russia's ongoing missile and drone attacks against Ukraine's critical infrastructure, President Biden and Chancellor Scholz affirmed their intention to further support Ukraine's urgent requirement for air defense capabilities. In late December, the United States announced its donation of a Patriot air defense missile battery to Ukraine. Germany will join the United States in supplying an additional Patriot air defense battery to Ukraine.

What's next? #FreeTheLeopards

Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

GDS_Starfury

Im hearing that the initial batch of Bradleys will be 50.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

and Germany is sending Marders and another Patriot battery.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

FarAway Sooner

I'm sure that the Ukrainians will take whatever weapons they can get, but I do wonder if this hodgepodge of different equipment types won't end up creating as many logistical problems as it solves battlefield problems? 

Sending more and more Patriots  makes sense, but I suspect that they'll be more useful in keeping Russian air assets further back from the front lines.  Unless the Pentagon has signed off on consistently shooting $4,000,000 missiles at $20,000 Shahed drones? 

I'd love to see a news story about some Western country sending the Ukrainians 40,000 artillery spotting drones costing $2,000 apiece.  In this war, we're learning once again that quantity has a quality all its own...

I wonder whether the non-Toyota IFVs that we're sending over will work better on offense or defense?

GDS_Starfury

the Patriots are for theater defense.  Ukraine is also getting a land based Sea Sparrow variant that will be the medium range system along with others.  Im also no to worried right now about the logistics of all this stuff as the US and NATO are running that part of the show out of theater.

Gusington

What would it take for Germany to send Leopards?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

fran

We are getting close to the one year anniversary. I don't think anyone expected Ukraine's resistance and resolve.

Including the Russians!  ;D

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

What's that classic quote from the Ukrainian soldier over the summer...'We'd be in real trouble if the Russians weren't so f*cking stupid.'

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Stalin's moustache would fall off if he could see them now. Followed by the sound of rolling heads.  :hide:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Those who do not study history are doomed to continue discovering that house-to-house fighting against Russianesque defenders is like hell.

Meanwhile, when it comes to the tank classification grid, Norway has preparations!

Bonus points for orchestral HALO theme.

"Pinned by Katasulu
Katasulu
3 days ago (edited)
For all of those telling me it's an ifv and not a tank: infantry fighting vehicles can be considered light tanks depending on the military regime they reside under. [...] Even the official Norwegian page describes it as a "Medium weight tank" (mellomtungt stridskøyretøy)."
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

^Is that a Toyota Land Cruiser pickup?? Hahaha

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd