Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeGER and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

FarAway Sooner

:timeout:

Gus, if there's one thing we've learned from this thread, it's that we have to be specific in our language.  If it carries a fixed weapon of any sort (apparently including a snap-on LMG), it's a pick-up tank as opposed to a pick-up truck.

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GDS_Starfury

QuoteThose who do not study history are doomed to continue discovering that house-to-house fighting against Russianesque defenders is like hell.

going by all the shit theyve lost so far I wouldnt be surprised to see some ISU-152s show up.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Gusington on January 06, 2023, 11:57:06 AM
^Is that a Toyota Land Cruiser pickup?? Hahaha

I wondered who would notice!

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on January 06, 2023, 12:41:10 PM
:timeout:

Gus, if there's one thing we've learned from this thread, it's that we have to be specific in our language.  If it carries a fixed weapon of any sort (apparently including a snap-on LMG), it's a pick-up tank as opposed to a pick-up truck.

Pretty sure that truck had zero fixed weapons of any sort. So... it's an infantry fighting truck. Wait no, a pick-up personnel carrier.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

FarAway Sooner

Sorry, when I say the weapons are "fixed", I just mean "mechanically attached" (as opposed to attached using duct tape or Super Glue).  "Affixed" might have been a more appropriate term.  Using that logic, it only takes one screw or bolt affixing the MG to the bed of the Toyota to render it a Pick-Up Tank.

I get why we haven't yet sent our most modern heavy MBTs to Ukraine, but I'm a little surprised that this is the first time we've sent them anything that could be confused with a tank.  I disagree with the decision to not sending longer-range ATACMS missiles to Ukraine for fear of provoking a Russian nuclear response, but it seems bizarre to me that sending anything heavier than a Humvee was viewed as a major escalation in a conventional military conflict.

Crossroads

Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Pete Dero

For Russian Christmas Putin went to church with everybody who loves him.

GDS_Starfury

elmo made some dumbass remarks about tanks today and twitter is having a field day with it.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

GDS_Starfury

Con

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 07, 2023, 03:55:07 PM
elmo made some dumbass remarks about tanks today and twitter is having a field day with it.
Best quote I read is that he has first hand experience of tanking.  Twitter stock that is

In the other hand Phillip OBrien who I think does a really good job in macro approach to war is somewhat in agreement with Elon on tanks and their capabilities under inadequate air superiority on each side.

Con

FarAway Sooner

Quote from: Crossroads on January 07, 2023, 01:44:03 PM
Lawrence Freedman with a new article. A solid read, again.

https://open.substack.com/pub/samf/p/makiiva-and-bakhmut-the-impact-of?utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=email

Excellent article, Crossroads.  I wish anything about the Russian conduct of this war were more predictable.

Crossroads

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on January 07, 2023, 10:25:01 PM
Quote from: Crossroads on January 07, 2023, 01:44:03 PM
Lawrence Freedman with a new article. A solid read, again.

https://open.substack.com/pub/samf/p/makiiva-and-bakhmut-the-impact-of?utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=email

Excellent article, Crossroads.  I wish anything about the Russian conduct of this war were more predictable.

I just read agin his articles from the beginning of Russian invasion. Already on March 3 he called this a war Russia can't win, with their plans A and B exhausted.
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Gusington

Poland to become 'The Greatest Military Power East of France'?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Skoop

I got to say I'm quite happy with a powerful Poland.  Why wait around for nato when you can just smash your enemies yourself.

Gusington

^One fly in the ointment of a powerful Poland is their declining population...they need people to operate all the hardware they're building and buying.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd