Vassal opponent?

Started by DicedT, February 18, 2012, 09:56:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

DicedT

Barthheart

Upcoming virtual convention of Lock 'n Load Publishing products run completely through VASSAL!

http://virtualcon.weebly.com/

Come on out and see what's up.

Barthheart

Barthheart

Anyone up for some Tank on Tank this week at lunch?

bayonetbrant

I think I can do THU or FRI.  Today/tomorrow are a train wreck, and recovery from that will determine just how f'ed up my WED will turn out to be.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Barthheart

OK, both Thu anf Fri work for me so far. Let's aim for Thu and Fri backup.

DicedT

Barthheart

Great Michael. The new module is loaded up at the VASSAL site.

Anyone else interested is welcome to come out too. 8)

Keunert

so you use a computer to run a counterintuitive program that runs hard to understand boardgames and on top of this mess you pretend to have fun with this?
just in case you all missed it: you are playing this on a computer that will most likely run modern games aka computer games.

Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

DicedT

Yes, Keunert, we could stick to real computer games. Because God knows, there are hundreds of historical simulation games on an Israeli strike against Iran, or the American Indian or Zulu wars, or Alexander the Great.

It's not that I like Vassal. It's that the alternative are brain-dead shooter games or twitchfest RTS titles, both of which have as much as to do with history as Dr. Seuss has with atomic physics.

Michael

Quote from: Keunert on March 19, 2012, 05:39:27 PM
so you use a computer to run a counterintuitive program that runs hard to understand boardgames and on top of this mess you pretend to have fun with this?
just in case you all missed it: you are playing this on a computer that will most likely run modern games aka computer games.

GJK

A VASSAL thread, I love it!  bayonetbrant sent an invite for me to join here and this looks like a nice place to be, thanks for the invite. 

I redid the graphics for the Patton's Best VASSAL module; a very fun game.  I haven't played in some time and would love to do so again.  I often thought of making a PC game version, where it would roll the dice for you and do all the chart look ups but you know what?  It wouldn't be as much fun! There's something about just knowing that your high roll means you're in trouble and when you go to cross-reference that result and you confirm your fears....now that is some fun sh$%. 

By the way, my very first VASSAL module that I played was "Under Fire!" on my Commodore 128 back in 1985.  It used Squad Leader board #3 (I believe) and a few SL counters and the screen looked like the one above.  All text based but it played the AI and it actually played fairly well.

Excuse me now while I go brain-dead blowing up stuff in Battlefield 2142.   ;)

Edit: the old AH C128 game was actually "Close Assault" http://www.retrogames.co.uk/more/on/details/000372 and not "Under Fire!" (though I think I had both).
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

DicedT

Hey, GJK,

If you're up for Vassal (brain-dead or non-brain-dead are equally welcome), let me know.

Michael

Rekim

Quote from: GJK on March 19, 2012, 09:17:46 PM

By the way, my very first VASSAL module that I played was "Under Fire!" on my Commodore 128 back in 1985.  It used Squad Leader board #3 (I believe) and a few SL counters and the screen looked like the one above.  All text based but it played the AI and it actually played fairly well.

I recall spotting Under Fire on a store shelf once, WAY back in time. Wish I'd picked it up as I never saw it again. I still like the idea of a computer AI for some board games.

GJK, I remember you talking about a project you were working on to update the map for VG Carrier. How did that turn out?

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Rekim on March 20, 2012, 07:54:26 AMGJK, I remember you talking about a project you were working on to update the map for VG Carrier. How did that turn out?

Yes Gary - share!

(For those that don't know, GJK is a pretty talented game artist.)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers