Battlefront’s 2023 look ahead

Started by Grim.Reaper, January 29, 2023, 08:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Sir Slash

Sounds pretty ambitious. I hope they're not biting off more than they can chew.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Grim.Reaper

Although I appreciate and like they are moving games to steam, I just wonder how much time has been spent on it the last couple of years and whether it outweighs further advancing the games, working on a more modern engine, and such. I guess being on steam will provide them more money for the future and could help their multiplayer fans. Although their update process and licensing was a pain, the move to single installer made it better and think I could have lived with it while receiving much more stuff.  This update seems similar to the update from 2022, but they did mention pausing their professional work so maybe gives them more time.

In any event, will continue to support them as I pretty much own everything they have released in the series.

Destraex

Can somebody please remind me whether we can all port our old licenses over to steam for free?
This timeline looks great.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Grim.Reaper

Yes, you can for free put your games onto steam.  If you own shock force, Black Sea, or Cold War, those are already available on steam.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 30, 2023, 05:56:20 AMAlthough I appreciate and like they are moving games to steam, I just wonder how much time has been spent on it the last couple of years and whether it outweighs further advancing the games, working on a more modern engine, and such. I guess being on steam will provide them more money for the future and could help their multiplayer fans. Although their update process and licensing was a pain, the move to single installer made it better and think I could have lived with it while receiving much more stuff.  This update seems similar to the update from 2022, but they did mention pausing their professional work so maybe gives them more time.

In any event, will continue to support them as I pretty much own everything they have released in the series.

My hunch is that being on steam doesn't really attract too many more sales and revenue for Battlefront. I think most people with an interest in these types of games already have what they want and most potential future customers would find them anyway and not base their decision to buy on steam availability.

I mean, certainly some are waiting to buy additional titles as we've seen in this thread, but I think this is the exception rather than the rule.

Personally, I'd prefer they focus on new content and improvements rather than porting over.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

That is my suspicion as well, but guessing being tied to matrix has helped as well and would guess that matrix required steam.

In any event, I am in agreement.....would prefer more content and new versions by a landslide.

Redwolf

I really hate the thought that engine 5 has been delayed in favor of that PBEM++ system which seems to work pretty badly.

Destraex

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 30, 2023, 07:37:32 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 30, 2023, 05:56:20 AMAlthough I appreciate and like they are moving games to steam, I just wonder how much time has been spent on it the last couple of years and whether it outweighs further advancing the games, working on a more modern engine, and such. I guess being on steam will provide them more money for the future and could help their multiplayer fans. Although their update process and licensing was a pain, the move to single installer made it better and think I could have lived with it while receiving much more stuff.  This update seems similar to the update from 2022, but they did mention pausing their professional work so maybe gives them more time.

My hunch is that being on steam doesn't really attract too many more sales and revenue for Battlefront. I think most people with an interest in these types of games already have what they want and most potential future customers would find them anyway and not base their decision to buy on steam availability.

I mean, certainly some are waiting to buy additional titles as we've seen in this thread, but I think this is the exception rather than the rule.

Personally, I'd prefer they focus on new content and improvements rather than porting over.

I respectfully disagree. I think that a lot of people will not be exposed or buy outside of steam and that steam offers a huge boost in free advertisement and promotion simply by virtue of the games turning up on peoples recommended lists. The only new customers left are probably on steam. Also consider that a lot of the time I see friends playing something on my steam friends list and check the store item out just because I know they like what I like.
The younger generations are much less likely to go for stand alone download and patch style deals I would say. On steam they would probably give it a go.
Me. I just cannot be bothered rustling up my combat mission games and then installing and patching them lately. The motivation is low because once again, friends don't generally have it installed. I have even played the demo version in preference to the mucking around. Perhaps it's easier now but that is beside the point.
Me. I simply am not bothered

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Destraex on February 01, 2023, 05:48:27 AM

I respectfully disagree. I think that a lot of people will not be exposed or buy outside of steam and that steam offers a huge boost in free advertisement and promotion simply by virtue of the games turning up on peoples recommended lists. The only new customers left are probably on steam. Also consider that a lot of the time I see friends playing something on my steam friends list and check the store item out just because I know they like what I like.
The younger generations are much less likely to go for stand alone download and patch style deals I would say. On steam they would probably give it a go.
Me. I just cannot be bothered rustling up my combat mission games and then installing and patching them lately. The motivation is low because once again, friends don't generally have it installed. I have even played the demo version in preference to the mucking around. Perhaps it's easier now but that is beside the point.

I respectfully think you're mistaken. Go to Steam charts and search "Combat Mission". You will see that over the last 30-day period only 22 people have played CM Shock Force 2 on steam, while only 21 have played Black Sea. Only 8 have played Cold War! ZERO have played any of the battle packs. Yes, that's some boost through free advertising. Those numbers are for the entire world by the way.

I stand by my belief that porting over to steam has generally been a total waste of time and resources, if you look at it from the point of new sales and revenue, unless battlefront received direct compensation from Slitherine/matrix, which is certainly possible. Otherwise, I think the process has clearly led to a general lack of overall new content, particularly for some of the older titles. I respect that some are happy with the steam option and prefer the convenience of it over potential new content, though. I just don't see it as generating any substantial boost to sales.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grim.Reaper

On top of that, even with the limited players being shown as playing the game, how many are actually "new" users versus previous owners of the games who got the Steam keys for free?  I suspect a good portion of the reviews, comments, and such are from previous players.  I am certain they have received some new sales but it would be difficult to know if those new sales are greater than what Battlefront might have achieved by churning out new content/modules for their existing customer base who buy everything on sight.  Steam audience is large, but they aren't the typical users of these type of deep games and what they likely consider less than desirable graphics and performance.

Don't get me wrong, I like having a Steam option, just not at the expense of bug fixes, version upgrades, and new content/modules.  With the new single install pack setup option nowadays, installing and maintaining the non-steam version is pretty easy, at least for me.

Destraex

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 01, 2023, 07:41:01 AM
Quote from: Destraex on February 01, 2023, 05:48:27 AM

I respectfully think you're mistaken. Go to Steam charts and search "Combat Mission". You will see that over the last 30-day period only 22 people have played CM Shock Force 2 on steam, while only 21 have played Black Sea. Only 8 have played Cold War! ZERO have played any of the battle packs. Yes, that's some boost through free advertising. Those numbers are for the entire world by the way.

I stand by my belief that porting over to steam has generally been a total waste of time and resources, if you look at it from the point of new sales and revenue, unless battlefront received direct compensation from Slitherine/matrix, which is certainly possible. Otherwise, I think the process has clearly led to a general lack of overall new content, particularly for some of the older titles. I respect that some are happy with the steam option and prefer the convenience of it over potential new content, though. I just don't see it as generating any substantial boost to sales.

Understand your POV. I would say in response;

* Do we have current player figures for the non-steam version? If not how can we compare the two?
* I would say that moving to steam will make maintaining Battlefront games easier in future and if they ever drop the ball and shut up shop steam will keep supporting the games if people keep playing them I would say?
* I own none of the games you mention as I either had the previous titles and the new ones were extremely expensive or I was not interested. This was particularly the case with Black Sea and Cold War because of the claustrophobic maps in the demos that did not fit being able to manoevure and fire combined with advanced weapons that basically stopped anybody from putting their head up.
My actual point here is that we might look again once the more popular titles like Normandy etc are on steam. But without any stats to compare non-steam................
* I think most wargamers would own steam. I'd point out that DCS is an example of a game that I know people who use steam and would not have played otherwise and made the jump on steam.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Destraex on February 02, 2023, 02:58:23 AMUnderstand your POV. I would say in response;

* Do we have current player figures for the non-steam version? If not how can we compare the two?

I don't see this as bearing any relevance. A comparison is not necessary. All I'm disputing is the point that the porting over of the titles to steam resulted in a substantial boost in sales and new players that outweighed the benefits of devoting resources to engine upgrades and new content. All that is necessary to address here are Steam numbers and they are clearly extremely low by any measure.

Quote from: Destraex on February 02, 2023, 02:58:23 AM* I would say that moving to steam will make maintaining Battlefront games easier in future and if they ever drop the ball and shut up shop steam will keep supporting the games if people keep playing them I would say?

Disagree. Now instead of updating a single version of the game, Battlefront must update and service two. I would argue this will actually be a drain on resources and if low sales on steam continue, a further detriment to the company overall. If battlefront Heaven forbid goes under, Steam can't support the games. Perhaps they can still sell them and you can still play them, but steam is not in the patch development business. Otherwise, maybe the steam version is easier to update and maintain on the developer end...maybe it isn't. I simply do not know.

Quote from: Destraex on February 02, 2023, 02:58:23 AM* I own none of the games you mention as I either had the previous titles and the new ones were extremely expensive or I was not interested. This was particularly the case with Black Sea and Cold War because of the claustrophobic maps in the demos that did not fit being able to manoevure and fire combined with advanced weapons that basically stopped anybody from putting their head up.
My actual point here is that we might look again once the more popular titles like Normandy etc are on steam. But without any stats to compare non-steam................

I'm sure the release of the WWII titles will definitely bring in more sales. However, my suspicion is that the model will be much the same. Only a handful of new buyers and players. As far as the non-steam comparison, again, irrelevant in my view.

Quote from: Destraex on February 02, 2023, 02:58:23 AM* I think most wargamers would own steam. I'd point out that DCS is an example of a game that I know people who use steam and would not have played otherwise and made the jump on steam.

I still think in this genre or niche, the majority of players don't have a preference or even prefer a non-steam option. You may get some more deviation on this with battlefront only because of the nightmare updating frequently became because of their old licensing system, but as Grim noted, the system has changed and it is very easy now. Funny you mention DCS, it's one of the few titles I prefer non-steam. I refuse to transition over and continue to happily use either the desktop shortcut or skatezillas great utility.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Thomm

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 01, 2023, 07:41:01 AMI respectfully think you're mistaken. Go to Steam charts and search "Combat Mission". You will see that over the last 30-day period only 22 people have played CM Shock Force 2 on steam, while only 21 have played Black Sea. Only 8 have played Cold War! ZERO have played any of the battle packs. Yes, that's some boost through free advertising. Those numbers are for the entire world by the way.

That's depressing, if true.

My current favorite game, 'Easy Red 2', is played by 50 people worldwide, or so it says.

Just to cross-check: ARMA III:  17,055 current players

Amazing.

Bardolph

Oof. That made me go look up ARMA III on Steam Charts... it is 10 years old. How the hecko did that happen?
It does make my brother's 4000 hours in ARMA look a little less insane lol.