Great Northern War Released!

Started by rahamy, April 14, 2023, 07:06:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

SirAndrewD

No hyperbole this might be the best overall WDS title I've played.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: SirAndrewD on April 29, 2023, 04:56:49 PMNo hyperbole this might be the best overall WDS title I've played.

Just curious, what specifically makes it the best? What's different?

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on April 29, 2023, 05:07:03 PMJust curious, what specifically makes it the best? What's different?

Huge number of scenarios, fun campaign, the setting, the overall look, interface.  I find it especially easy and clean to move large formations about. 

It and Waterloo are high up for me on ones I'm going to come back to a lot. 

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: SirAndrewD on April 29, 2023, 05:57:20 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on April 29, 2023, 05:07:03 PMJust curious, what specifically makes it the best? What's different?

Huge number of scenarios, fun campaign, the setting, the overall look, interface.  I find it especially easy and clean to move large formations about. 

It and Waterloo are high up for me on ones I'm going to come back to a lot. 

Thank you.  I'll cave.

CJReich46

Intriguing. I do hope the War of the Spanish Succession or Austrian Succession come next.  :ThumbsUp:
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Skoop

This is an interesting setting for a war game.  With such a tried and true system, how out of the realm of possibility would hiring a few 3d artists/ animators to level the graphics up to something like field of glory ?  I know fans of this game don't care about fancy graphics, but it would still be really cool.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Skoop on April 29, 2023, 08:57:40 PMThis is an interesting setting for a war game.  With such a tried and true system, how out of the realm of possibility would hiring a few 3d artists/ animators to level the graphics up to something like field of glory ?  I know fans of this game don't care about fancy graphics, but it would still be really cool.

I'd do red bloody murder to see this system upgraded to that level.

As it is though, the graphics in GNW are incredibly better than the old Tiller (RIP) titles.  It looks good for what it is.

Strela

Our focus has been on gameplay enhancements, user interface and graphics while upgrading the Tiller library.

Great Northern War is one of the first title that WDS has run end to end since acquiring the Tiller portfolio. Rich Hamilton and the Musket & Pike team did a great job and better still, all the changes that have been introduced will be in the next updates for Renaissance and Seven Years War. And yes, more titles for Musket & Pike are in the pipeline.

On my side of the fence (20th Century to current), we are very close to releasing the first revamped Squad Battles titles. Personally, I am excited to see how these are received. You can read more about what's coming over on our website in these two blog posts; https://wargameds.com/blogs/news/2023-quarter-one-update-and-squad-battles-version-4-01-preview and https://wargameds.com/blogs/news/squad-battles-winter-war-visual-order-of-battle-preview

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Strela on April 29, 2023, 10:47:39 PMOur focus has been on gameplay enhancements, user interface and graphics while upgrading the Tiller library.

To that end you have succeeded.

I, again, don't want to get into hyperbole but I don't review or do any other video based anything anymore since I'm now a professional for my company and I won't do any media unless I get paid.

But to that end I will say I love what WDS is doing and this title looks great for the engine and I love the historical work as a historian myself.

Grim.Reaper

Did buy it, hopefully can get through tutorial today.

glen55

Quote from: Gusington on April 18, 2023, 05:51:14 PMPeter the Great by Robert Massie is one of my favorite books of all time. Anyone even remotely interested in the Great Northern War will love it. And if you have no interest, it may ignite an interest  :3musketeer:

Thank you for speaking so warmly of this book that you made me pick it up. Your praise is not over the top; it's a real gem.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

devoncop

I am reading "Dreadnaught by Robert Massie right now on the run up to WW1 and the naval arms race and am about 350 pages into this 900 page epic and it is one of the most gripping history books I have ever read.

His style is an amazing mix of diplomatic manoeuvring, fascinating anecdote (particularly about the egos of the leading actors and their quirks) and painstaking analysis and if "Peter the Great' is in a similar vein I will definitely be picking that up the read as well.

Thank you for the recommendation.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

glen55

Quote from: devoncop on May 30, 2023, 10:32:51 AMI am reading "Dreadnaught by Robert Massie right now on the run up to WW1 and the naval arms race and am about 350 pages into this 900 page epic and it is one of the most gripping history books I have ever read.

His style is an amazing mix of diplomatic manoeuvring, fascinating anecdote (particularly about the egos of the leading actors and their quirks) and painstaking analysis and if "Peter the Great' is in a similar vein I will definitely be picking that up the read as well.

Thank you for the recommendation.

Thank in return. I will try that one next but it may be a while because I'm in savoring mode on Peter, not rush-through-to-the-next-one mode.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower