DC3 Barbarossa, Bart vs Jason, aftermath discussion thread

Started by JasonPratt, May 29, 2016, 09:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

Quote from: Barthheart on March 14, 2017, 06:09:44 PM
DC1 is a great game. I still play it. The full France campaign is a lot of fun from either side.

DC2 was just too many units for me. The scale was just not fun for me.

DC3 uses similar base mechanics but the new political level added is a fantastic addition. I think it's the best in the series.

Cheers Barth, that's the one to begin with then  :)
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Sir Slash

I loved DC 1 AND DC 2. I like pushing all those counters around that gorgeous map with real roads and rivers to cross. Case Blue also has a reasonable attempt at a Naval Element in the game and, is a lot to deal with, but is quite the challenge and fun. I'm not sure I like the change to larger scale units in DC 3. Give me back my all my hundreds of regiments please!
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Crossroads

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 15, 2017, 09:55:25 AM
I loved DC 1 AND DC 2. I like pushing all those counters around that gorgeous map with real roads and rivers to cross. Case Blue also has a reasonable attempt at a Naval Element in the game and, is a lot to deal with, but is quite the challenge and fun. I'm not sure I like the change to larger scale units in DC 3. Give me back my all my hundreds of regiments please!

Ended up buying both Barbarossa and Warsaw To Paris. Damn Matrix store put a hefty discount to latter with DC3 placed into the cart. How could I resist... :hide:

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Barthheart

JasonPratt

In Soviet Russia, divisions hundreds you!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Barthheart

We need to play a game of Warsaw to Paris.... I'll even take the French?  :D

Crossroads

Quote from: Barthheart on March 15, 2017, 01:45:11 PM
:bd:

Finished with installing all three games, as I downloaded the DC Community Project beta as well.

So far so interesting, have just had the time to launch each game, poke around the tutorials a bit, looked at the manuals, launched the campaigns too to see the large picture. Looks really interesting, I've really not found an operational home since TOAW III, this just might be it. 

Barthheart

Go read this thread I created back when I was helping out on the first DC with Vic. It'll get you started on the mechanics of the first game and is somewhat helpful for the whole series.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2561038

Sir Slash

That was my go-to post back when I first got clobbered by the AI in DC 1. It got me straightened-out and on the winning side.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Crossroads

Quote from: Barthheart on March 15, 2017, 05:02:22 PM
Go read this thread I created back when I was helping out on the first DC with Vic. It'll get you started on the mechanics of the first game and is somewhat helpful for the whole series.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2561038

Thanks Barth, most excellent! And what an example for me with my current DAR on how to ease the learning curve of a game system.

Crossroads

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 15, 2017, 09:50:00 PM
That was my go-to post back when I first got clobbered by the AI in DC 1. It got me straightened-out and on the winning side.

And cheers to Sir Slash as well for giving the nudge to get the Warsaw to Paris as well. I am a shameless early war fanboy, so spoiled now. Fall Weiss, Winter War via Community Project, Fall Gelb, Barbarossa.  :smitten:  I'll play them chronologically, so to be sure I am fully up to speed once Jason and Barth continue with the renewed hostilities on eastern steppes.  :nerd:

Sorry, did not want to steal the thread. Back to post mortem  :knuppel2:

JasonPratt

Quote from: Barthheart on March 15, 2017, 01:52:08 PM

!!MASSIVE

JEALOUSY!!  :tickedoff:

Although if we do a sequel Case Blue game I would be mollified.  :coolsmiley:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Quote from: Crossroads on March 16, 2017, 01:25:13 AM
I am a shameless early war fanboy, so spoiled now. Fall Weiss, Winter War via Community Project, Fall Gelb, Barbarossa.  :smitten:

I'm writing up mission list descriptions for the Command Ops 2 volumes, and "The Foothills of the Gods" provides a little-known late-blitz set of scenarios. I've known this for years since Conquest of the Aegean of course, but when I sit down to finally and definitely get into the system I'm starting there. (It also features the lowest unit-count per mission on average, and the three or four fewest unit missions in the series so far.) Watching the Germans trying to put their honed blitz strategies into the valleys and mountains of Greece (with Italy trying to follow suit from over the Albanian border), while ANZAC troops from half a world away desperately trade their blood to protect fleeing outmatched Greek troops -- who end up surrendering while the shattered Commonwealth groups hold the gates of Thermopylae in order to evacuate the country...  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

I forgot to mention I'm doing this to help Panther market their dang games, since they're too busy to explain to potential buyers what the hell missions are even in the packs.  ::) :knuppel2:

Barthheart

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 16, 2017, 10:55:28 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on March 15, 2017, 01:52:08 PM

!!MASSIVE

JEALOUSY!!  :tickedoff:

Although if we do a sequel Case Blue game I would be mollified.  :coolsmiley:

I'll play you Warsaw to Paris if you'd like. And I'll even take the French.  :D

Crossroads

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 16, 2017, 11:06:02 AM
Quote from: Crossroads on March 16, 2017, 01:25:13 AM
I am a shameless early war fanboy, so spoiled now. Fall Weiss, Winter War via Community Project, Fall Gelb, Barbarossa.  :smitten:

I'm writing up mission list descriptions for the Command Ops 2 volumes, and "The Foothills of the Gods" provides a little-known late-blitz set of scenarios. I've known this for years since Conquest of the Aegean of course, but when I sit down to finally and definitely get into the system I'm starting there. (It also features the lowest unit-count per mission on average, and the three or four fewest unit missions in the series so far.) Watching the Germans trying to put their honed blitz strategies into the valleys and mountains of Greece (with Italy trying to follow suit from over the Albanian border), while ANZAC troops from half a world away desperately trade their blood to protect fleeing outmatched Greek troops -- who end up surrendering while the shattered Commonwealth groups hold the gates of Thermopylae in order to evacuate the country...  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

I forgot to mention I'm doing this to help Panther market their dang games, since they're too busy to explain to potential buyers what the hell missions are even in the packs.  ::) :knuppel2:

Yessir! I've poked at Command Ops 2 while at LnL store, have not swallowed the bait yet, but if (when) I do, Foothils of the Gods would be the way to start  :bd: