Consolidated Syria Conflict Thread

Started by Mr. Bigglesworth, September 19, 2015, 04:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boggit

Quote from: Grimnirsson on October 16, 2015, 07:06:24 AM
The question is why is Turkey still in the Nato, I mean Erdogan is no less a dictator as Assad, he has for years been trying to stamp out the opposition, he now uses the IS conflict as sort of cover for that too and attacks the anti-IS Kurdish fighters, the press is no longer free in Turkey, journalists Erdogan doesn't like, are being arrested and he is cultivating an anti-West Muslim attitude and even encourages his fellow-men living in other countries to keep themselves apart from their surrounding society, because he thinks assimilation is a bad thing. That was his message to the Turks living here in Germany when he recently visited for his canvassing tour.

The world has to get rid of the Islamic State, that has to be the priority, not Assad or Turkey. That's why I think Putin's game over there is helpful, just to make things happen in a situation that was ruled for too long by ignoring reality or by being paralyzed by whatever political agenda.
Given Erdogan's actions against the Kurds in Iraq and Syria (leaving Turkey for the moment), I thought it a bit rich for him to criticise Putin for having a swipe at non-IS opponents to Assad. We may not like Assad, but Putin has a point about him being a bulwark against IS, even if he is a brutal dictator in his own right.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Bison

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on October 17, 2015, 07:32:07 PM
Quote from: Bison on October 17, 2015, 02:07:57 PM
I hate to say it, but that graphic reminds me of the body count from Vietnam.  A means to show "progress" in the war in terms of numeric quantities, i.e. high numbers equal positive results, but ignores the reality of the actual effect on the battlefield.

Depends. Who's the ones reporting the numbers? If it's the Air Force or US government, then yes, just like Vietnam. If some independent group, then it seems like just a depressing statistical graphic.

Well the table's statistics are attributed to CENTCOM.

jejo68

Quote from: Boggit on October 17, 2015, 08:22:33 PM
Quote from: Grimnirsson on October 16, 2015, 07:06:24 AM
The question is why is Turkey still in the Nato, I mean Erdogan is no less a dictator as Assad, he has for years been trying to stamp out the opposition, he now uses the IS conflict as sort of cover for that too and attacks the anti-IS Kurdish fighters, the press is no longer free in Turkey, journalists Erdogan doesn't like, are being arrested and he is cultivating an anti-West Muslim attitude and even encourages his fellow-men living in other countries to keep themselves apart from their surrounding society, because he thinks assimilation is a bad thing. That was his message to the Turks living here in Germany when he recently visited for his canvassing tour.

The world has to get rid of the Islamic State, that has to be the priority, not Assad or Turkey. That's why I think Putin's game over there is helpful, just to make things happen in a situation that was ruled for too long by ignoring reality or by being paralyzed by whatever political agenda.
Given Erdogan's actions against the Kurds in Iraq and Syria (leaving Turkey for the moment), I thought it a bit rich for him to criticise Putin for having a swipe at non-IS opponents to Assad. We may not like Assad, but Putin has a point about him being a bulwark against IS, even if he is a brutal dictator in his own right.
He may be a dictator, but up until we stabbed him in the back he was our dictator.

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: Bison on October 17, 2015, 08:50:05 PM
Quote from: Airborne Rifles on October 17, 2015, 07:32:07 PM
Quote from: Bison on October 17, 2015, 02:07:57 PM
I hate to say it, but that graphic reminds me of the body count from Vietnam.  A means to show "progress" in the war in terms of numeric quantities, i.e. high numbers equal positive results, but ignores the reality of the actual effect on the battlefield.

Depends. Who's the ones reporting the numbers? If it's the Air Force or US government, then yes, just like Vietnam. If some independent group, then it seems like just a depressing statistical graphic.

Well the table's statistics are attributed to CENTCOM.

Good point  :)

eyebiter

Russia warns Israel over jets detected near Syria–Lebanon border
http://www.i24news.tv/en/news/international/middle-east/89394-151018-russia-warns-israel-over-jets-detected-near-syria-lebanon-border

"According to As Safir, the Lebanese source said that Russian aircraft immediately blocked the Israeli jets' path while they flew above the Akkar region in northern Lebanon. "The Russians immediately sent a clear warning to the Israelis that entering Syrian airspace would be a pretext for opening fire," the source added."

Nefaro

I don't think the Russian air force would want to scrap with the IAF, if they know what's best for them.

Gusington

:o Christ...this is deteriorating...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on October 18, 2015, 02:24:51 PM
:o Christ...this is deteriorating...

The Sovs are going to push until someone pushes back. Obama may have his tail between his legs, but the IAF doesn't. The IAF isn't likely to stand down and Putin will get the message where he can and where he can't find weakness.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Nefaro on October 18, 2015, 01:02:03 PM
I don't think the Russian air force would want to scrap with the IAF, if they know what's best for them.

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Staggerwing

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 18, 2015, 02:51:40 PM

The graphic on their vertical stabilizers looks like Sam the Eagle. Which reminds me...

For Bison:

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Bison

Mr. Bigglesworth

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0SC0NY20151018

Sick, cold and homeless. We discussed this a while back.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Bison

I can only say Merkel better this doesn't blow up,  but she seems an ambiguous globalist intent on dragging down Germany.

Grimnirsson

"Mother Merkel" has lost any connection to reality repeating the same mantra over and over "Wir schaffen das!" (but you know that mantra I suppose from someone else..."Yes, we can!") while ignoring that our country is at the limits already, authorities expect up to 1.5 million asylum seekers to arrive in Germany this year alone and 2016 these numbers will likely go up rather than down because those granted asylum will bring their families over to Germany too.

Her popularity ratings are falling quite fast it seems and there are voices that predict that she will not politically survive this. Hopefully, since she has done enormous harm to my country and I don't see any way to close the flood gates again.
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

undercovergeek

you just need a guy from the right to stand up and start blaming your countrys woes on the influx of unwanteds and were all off on the merry go round again!