Conquest of Elysium 5 Announced!

Started by CJReich46, May 13, 2021, 10:41:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CJReich46

Saw this on the 4x Reddit.

https://www.illwinter.com/coe5/index.html

10 different planes - Inferno, A Sky Realm, continents (Yes there will be ships and ports.) Three new factions - New rituals, battle maps, independent factions new monsters, new random events.

August 2021!
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

JasonPratt

Saw this advertised on Steam (I think), and wishlisted: it may be the edition I finally buy! (Don't know why, exactly. Maybe for the multiplayer. But I've always WANTED to like this spin-off.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

CJReich46

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 14, 2021, 08:36:22 AM
Saw this advertised on Steam (I think), and wishlisted: it may be the edition I finally buy! (Don't know why, exactly. Maybe for the multiplayer. But I've always WANTED to like this spin-off.)

I have been playing a bit of COE4 lately since the announcement, and airboy asked for what were the differences.

What I noticed is in battles. The armies will move forward to attack surround etc. Casters will do their thing, ranged units etc. Also when you're in a fortress or citadel, you have walls and gates to defend. So if you're the besieging army you have to deal with the defending units on the wall then the gate.  Not to mention more rituals for classes to do.

There are Planes of Existence -  There is Elysium,  Hades (for all you necromancers) and Inferno (demonologists)   Agartha, The Void (Horrors). From time to time someone will open the gate to those planes OR worse an event will trigger them being opened.  BEWARE. 

I had a game where I was a Warlock (Dark Age) and watching almost all the AI players fall due to Independent armies. Then when I thought my Fire Summoned Armies were doing well... some damn fool opened the gates to Inferno, and all the devils came out! So I was getting mopped by them, and trying to hang on to find the final AI to crush it.  I did not do so well. What I like about Conquest 4 is the Independent units do not sit idling waiting for you to conquer them. They move. They threaten and siege.

CJReich46

al_infierno

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

CptHowdy

devoncop

May pick this up today. Reviews are excellent and I haven't given the COE series a try yet.

I have dabbled in Dominions 5 but I found it a bit overwhelming and the UI regarding gem use a bit baffling but this one seems to be more streamlined whilst retaining a huge variety of units and play styles.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Gusington

Is this game as complex as it is massive? Overwhelming like devoncop describes Dominions 5 above?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

devoncop

Hi Gus

You can read the manual online or download it for free via steam if that is of interest.

I am doing that now and am about 60% through the 80 pages.

It is evident that it does not have the intense micro of Dominions 5 (armies are set up automatically rather tan having to be deployed manually via battle plans and magic users cast their known spells without player involvement for example). It still has a lot of nuances however and the more I read the well written manual the more I am enthusiastic about the game.

The manual does make clear that there is a certain roguelike unpredictability to your starting position and world events so if that is something that bothers you it may not be your sort of game but I think it may hit my sweet spot as the replayability and differentiation between different faction playstyles is huge.

The corny old cliche "easy to learn and hard to master" seems to be appropriate here.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

devoncop

Gusington

Thank you! Looking at the Steam page now...not one negative review. That is unreal. The fanbase must be cult-like.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

devoncop

Gusington

Post impressions! This is the first game of this type that has interested me, so I am a total n00b in this realm.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Ubercat

I'm liking it so far. It appears to have the same depth as all Illwinter games. Only played the Dwarves at this point.

I'm trying to whittle down an AI enemy by cutting his resource collecting abilities and waylaying his traveling armies, all while building a force great enough to assault his capital.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell