What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

Quote from: SirAndrewD on January 03, 2022, 05:37:18 PM
My first published, book actually.   :D

Congrats.  Mind linking it?
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

SirAndrewD

Quote from: al_infierno on January 03, 2022, 05:44:21 PM

Congrats.  Mind linking it?

When it's out.  It's in endorsements right now. 

It's kind of a cheat, I'm a C-Suite for the publisher and it's just a book about my Sales Method with a real eye towards it being a lead gen piece for my company.  It's called "Don't Buy the Watch".
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Just started on My War Gone By, I Miss It So by Anthony Loyd.  Basically a memoir about a war correspondent's experience in the Bosnian War, but it reads like a superbly written war thriller.  The prose is great and he's quite good at elucidating his thoughts and experiences.  Definitely recommended.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Sir Slash

I just got two new books, "The Eastern Fleet and the Indian Ocean 1942-1944" and "Stalin's War on Japan: The Red Army's Manchurian Strategic Offensive Operation 1945" both by Charles Stephenson. That should keep the Old Guy busy a while.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

Interesting al...I enjoy Balkan history, will look up that title on The Amazon.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

About to start The Medieval Cannon by Jonathan Davies, A. Hook, J. Shumate, and S. Walsh (Osprey New Vanguard).

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Now reading The Art of Renaissance Warfare from the Fall of Constantinople to the Thirty Years War by Stephen Turnbull.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

Just finished "Truman" by David McCullogh. A bio of President Harry Truman...and very long at over 1000 pages.

A good solid biography of a unique President and politician. They really don't make them like Truman anymore.

Truman was famous as a kind of "everyman" who would roll up his sleeves, take responsibility and take action. On the bad side, he was "no nonsense" to a fault, often too direct and lacking nuance or flexibility. For example, he nearly "conscripted" rail workers to end a nation-wide strike; but before he actually did it, he got lucky when the unions and owners "blinked." He also briefly had the Government take over steel mills to end a nation-wide steel strike (this brought the two sides to concede enough ground to end the strike). Both actions were a little "over-the-top" and may have even been illegal.

But sometimes his directness was exactly what was needed. For example, when the Soviets blockaded Berlin, Truman ordered the US military to do an airlift. His generals did not want to do it because they thought it would fail. But Truman gave clear direct orders to get it going, and after a slow start, the US and UK air bridge paid off, forcing to Stalin to lift the blockade.

He was in the hot seat during some of history's greatest events; Potsdam, the Axis surrenders, the Marshall Plan, the Berlin Airlift, and the Korean War. Despite intense political pressure, he fired MacArthur who wanted to take the Korean War to the Chinese, and who routinely disregarded Truman's guidance. By removing "Mac" Truman probably kept the Korean War from becoming WWIII. 

The bio is a little long-winded in places and spends too much time on politics for my liking...but having said that, it was interesting to see how a relatively unknown local politician became first a senator, then President. It was a different time, and I think the forces that brought Truman to the Presidency really could not be harnessed today.

Another interesting thing about Truman was that he was honest and humble. The only real profit he took from his various political positions was the sale of his memoirs toward the end of his life. He would not do product endorsements or take paid positions. He retired to his hometown of Independence, Missouri and just became another citizen. He was not rich and hated pomp, and when he left office, former Presidents did not receive a pension or a Federal security detail (both of these points would later change while he was still alive). He could often be seen driving himself to the downtown office where he wrote his memoirs, or just taking long walks around town (by himself) for his health.   

https://www.amazon.com/Truman-David-McCullough/dp/0671456547/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1641923305&sr=8-1
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

bobarossa

McCullough won the Pulitzer for Truman.  One of my favorite authors.  Have read Path Between the Seas, The Wright Brothers, and 1776.  He does not write short books but 1000 seems long even for him!

Gusington

He is one of my favorites too, Brooklyn Bridge is great. I also loved 1776.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Just started 'Retreat From Moscow - A New History of Germany's Winter Campaign, 1941-1942' by David Stahel.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

I recently re-read Catton's Grant Takes Command.  What a fantastic book!  So, I decided to buy and read the second book in the trilogy, Grant Moves South (chronologically this is the book before Command).  Catton is simply a  brilliant writer, I think this is the 8th book of his I've read now.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

About to begin 'The 900 Days - The Siege of Leningrad' by Harrison Salisbury.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd