What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Among several other things, I'm taking a break from non-fiction to start a series I've never read before and always wanted to: Weis and Hickman's Death Gate Cycle!

Just finished the first chapters introducing Hugh the Hand's side of the plot. I recommend skipping the spoilery 'hook' prologue, and letting those details be a surprise later. (From the publishing side of things I realize why the hook prologue is there, but still I recommend against it.)

I have a general recollection of the overall plot thanks to a point-n-click adventure game covering the whole series (relatively briefly) made by Legendary Entertainment (iirc). I think they also did some similar Star Trek games (at least one TNG I played through more than once), and then went out of business or got bought up after turning an ersatz prequel to The Wheel of Time into an Unreal-engine FPS. (Albeit a very good one for the time.) The latter is still available on GoG, I think. {checking}

Yep, WoT is. Death Gate, no. Legend Entertainment, not Legendary, made the both; they also made Star Control II among other things! Currently Death Gate isn't available anywhere legitimate (as a video game). Good grief, 1994, it ran on DOS?? THE AGE, IT BURRRRNNNNSSS!  :HideEyes:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

DetCord

Three at present. Just finished Myths and Legends of the Eastern Front (again) by Sokolov.

Presently reading:

• Between Giants by Buttar.

• Rereading Battleground Prussia by Buttar.

• The Waffen SS: Hitlers Army at War by Gilbert.

Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

And a pretty good 'nome de plume.'

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

Just finishing David Hackett Fischer's excellent "Washington's Crossing," about the New Jersey Campaign of Winter 76/77.

The book covers the crossing of the Delaware River, the First Battle of Trenton, the Second Battle of Trenton (almost a week later) and Washington's audacious attack on Cornwallis' rear at Princeton. The narrative of the battles is lively and spell-binding.

But the strength of the book is that it fills in the blanks between battles. Even covering one of the New Jersey Militia's high points, the "Forage War" a partisan hit and run campaign that kept the British from getting too comfortable in their winter quarters.

(As a side-note, I recently saw one of those click-baity on-line T-shirts for sale that say: "Americans - We Will Cross a Frozen River to Kill You in Your Sleep - ON CHRISTMAS. Not Kidding. We've Done it Before." I briefly considered buying one...).

I read "Washington's Crossing" many years ago, and after so long am actually enjoying more on the second read.

I really can't find faults with the narrative or content and recommend it, even for someone with only passing interest in the subject.

https://www.amazon.com/Washingtons-Crossing-Pivotal-Moments-American/dp/0195170342/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1693230278&sr=1-3

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

ArizonaTank

Just starting two books.

First, Martin Caidin / Saburo Sakai's WWII memoir: "Samurai"

https://www.amazon.com/Samurai-Saburo-Sakai/dp/1696175992/ref=sr_1_1?crid=UIAMW3F0WYFM&keywords=samurai+sakai&qid=1693487085&sprefix=samurai+sakai%2Caps%2C140&sr=8-1

Sakai was Japan's top fighter ace in WWII (a naval aviator flying mostly Zeros) and survived literally to tell the tale. I am about 20% in to the book and enjoying it.

The other book is just fun:

"A Fan's Guide to Baseball Analytics" by Anthony Castrovince

https://www.amazon.com/Fans-Guide-Baseball-Analytics-Understanding/dp/1683583442/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2FFZOU9QTM0G5&keywords=a+fan%27s+guide+to+baseball+analytics+by+anthony+castrovince&qid=1693487495&sprefix=fans+guide%2Caps%2C212&sr=8-1

I am about 40% in and enjoying it. The author breaks down what the stats really mean, and why some of the old standards like "batting average" and RBI (Runs Batted In) really don't always show what we think they show.

He then goes on to explain newer stats such as OBP (On Base Percentage) and WAR (Wins Above Replacement). Anyway, his writing style is easy going and not academic at all.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Sir Slash

So I finished, "To The End Of The Earth: The U.S. Army and The Downfall of Japan 1945" the 3rd book in John C. McManus' excellent trilogy of the U.S. Army's story in the Pacific War. Fantastic books all.  :ThumbsUp:  Next up is, "Kabul: The Untold Story of the Afghanistan Withdrawal" by Jerry Dunleavy and James Hasson. 
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

Just started The Ruins by Scott Smith.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

Reading "Albion's Seed" by David Hackett Fischer.

A bit of a different kind of book for me.

"Albion's Seed" is an in-depth analysis of four major cultural waves from England to the American Colonies in the period before the Revolutionary War. The book covers all aspects of life: love, marriage, language, religion, child-rearing, language, cooking, leisure activities, etc.

I am 50% in, and the book has talked in depth about the Puritans who settled in New England, and who mostly came from the East of England (around the city of Norwich). This sub-culture contrasts starkly with the "cavaliers" who established Virginia. These were the unlanded 'second sons' of gentry from the Southwest of England.

Up next will be the Quakers from the English Midlands who settled in Delaware and Pennsylvania. Then the book will cover the Scots-Irish and those from the English Borderlands.

Anyway, its a great book if you have any interest in the subject. But for the average reader, this would probably be a "pass."

https://www.amazon.com/Albions-Seed-British-Folkways-cultural/dp/0195069056/ref=pd_bxgy_sccl_2/146-5892264-5829321?pd_rd_w=r5Jwb&content-id=amzn1.sym.26a5c67f-1a30-486b-bb90-b523ad38d5a0&pf_rd_p=26a5c67f-1a30-486b-bb90-b523ad38d5a0&pf_rd_r=V5V1XNRV9A7PG7N85Y32&pd_rd_wg=ZYmro&pd_rd_r=1cbc602f-664a-4180-9f9f-67b672fb5a56&pd_rd_i=0195069056&psc=1
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

DetCord

Halbe '45 and Soldiers to the Last Day.

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Staggerwing

^ Intriguing.

I have a good friend who is obsessed with all things American Midcentury, esp. cars, NASA, retail space design, 'golden age' Sci-fi, innovative classic TV (such as Night Stalker, Hawaii 50 and Twilight Zone/Night Gallery) and Cold War cultural tropes. He's also a big fan of Lost in Space and UFO so I'm always surprised that ST:TOS isn't a bigger blip on his radar.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

SirAndrewD

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys