What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Staggerwing on May 03, 2014, 10:56:25 AM
And on that note, lets revive the 'who should play Honor, etc, in the Feature Film?' discussion.

Michelle Forbes is a bit too old now, considering Honor has benefitted from Prolong treatments.

is it that time of year already?  lol
Forbes would have been great though.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

a short haired Emma Watson?

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Martok

^  Not the worst choice in the world.  I've always been under the impression Honor possesses distinctly Oriental facial features (thanks to her mother), but if one were to go with a Caucasian actress, I'd be okay with her. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

GDS_Starfury

just almond shaped eyes and high cheekbones.

Staggerwing

AFA some of the others- Ron Perlman would make a great Anton Zilwicki. He'd have to buff up a little though.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

WallysWorld

Finished Herbert A. Werner's "Iron Coffins". What a great book!

Just about to start Guy Sajer's  "The Forgotten Soldier".
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

OJsDad

Quote from: Shelldrake on May 02, 2014, 01:36:21 PM
Quote from: skeptical.platypus on April 26, 2014, 09:54:34 PM
Quote from: Airborne Rifles on April 13, 2014, 07:36:22 AM
Started Through Struggle the Stars. Pretty good scifi.

Sci-fi, $2.99 on kindle, and a grogheads rec. Good enough for me! I'm ready for some new military sci-fi, too.

Thanks!

Second book in The Human Reach series The Desert of Stars is out and well worth $4.99. I am looking forward to the next book in the series.

Just finished The Desert of Stars.  Better than the first book.  Still rough on the writing, but better. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Staggerwing

Are the science and politics still plausible enough?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: OJsDad on May 05, 2014, 06:34:18 PM
Quote from: Shelldrake on May 02, 2014, 01:36:21 PM
Quote from: skeptical.platypus on April 26, 2014, 09:54:34 PM
Quote from: Airborne Rifles on April 13, 2014, 07:36:22 AM
Started Through Struggle the Stars. Pretty good scifi.

Sci-fi, $2.99 on kindle, and a grogheads rec. Good enough for me! I'm ready for some new military sci-fi, too.

Thanks!

Second book in The Human Reach series The Desert of Stars is out and well worth $4.99. I am looking forward to the next book in the series.

Just finished The Desert of Stars.  Better than the first book.  Still rough on the writing, but better.

Just finished Through Struggle the Stars. Really good. Starting The Desert is Stars Tonight.

OJsDad

Quote from: Staggerwing on May 05, 2014, 07:17:07 PM
Are the science and politics still plausible enough?

I'm not an expert on the science, but it seems very plausible.

For the politics, Japan and US are the inept evil aggressors, EU, Russia and India are neutral and China and Korea the the victims.  Up, seems about right   ;D
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Gusington

@Airborne Rifles - City of Fortune is excellent. Very detailed and well written. I am about 1/3 of the way through.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: Gusington on May 10, 2014, 01:45:24 PM
@Airborne Rifles - City of Fortune is excellent. Very detailed and well written. I am about 1/3 of the way through.

Awesome, thanks. I'll probably pull the trigger on it on kindle here soon.

Gusington

Just make sure you don't try to read it at bedtime...it's kinda heavy for just before bed and after some hard days at work I couldn't make it past a couple of pages. With some time this weekend I was able to get further and see that the first part (Venice' seizing hegemony from Byzantium in the Fourth Crusade)...is just epic.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

I finally finished Tokyo Vice: An American Reporter on the Police Beat in Japan. Great book although it took me almost a year to get through it. I've always been fascinated by writers detailing their experiences in other cultures, and this book delivers well, not just with that perspective but also tugs at the heartstrings considering some of the things this guy and his family went through thanks to the yakuza.

Now I've (finally) started reading Tales From Development Hell: The Greatest Movies Never Made. I enjoy the behind-the-scenes perspectives in movie-making, especially when they rip the morons that run the studios. This book is a great example of that.

As an aside: anyone remember the movie Manos: The Hands of Fate, by chance?

Martok

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on May 11, 2014, 08:40:57 AMNow I've (finally) started reading Tales From Development Hell: The Greatest Movies Never Made. I enjoy the behind-the-scenes perspectives in movie-making, especially when they rip the morons that run the studios. This book is a great example of that.
I don't know if I could stand to read something like that.  Even if no specific titles/projects were mentioned, I still suspect I would want to either weep and/or howl in rage for all the great films that aren't getting made.  I salute you, sir! 

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on May 11, 2014, 08:40:57 AMAs an aside: anyone remember the movie Manos: The Hands of Fate, by chance?
Almost certainly one of the greatest episodes of MST3K ever.  ;D 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces