What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

I've heard of that book. What is it, a kind of Steampunk I Robot?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

No it's more like a biography, check out the link. It's coffee table sized so there are some great pieces of art included.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Martok

Interspersed with reading the Wheel of Time (I'm getting toward the end of Knife of Dreams), I'm now also perusing The Klingon Art of War, as "translated by" Keith R.A. deCandido. 

An enjoyable read, it has a surprising amount of depth, but without being overly complex.  Admittedly, you won't see a lot of Sun Tzu's and/or Clausewitz's precepts here, as the book is less about waging large-scale war and more about addressing personal behavior, ethics, etc., but it's still an interesting read for all that.  Kind of like "Bushido for Klingons". 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

JasonPratt

KoD doing well for you I trust? The first part might have started a little slow, but compared to CoT...
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Martok on September 03, 2014, 09:57:07 AM
Interspersed with reading the Wheel of Time (I'm getting toward the end of Knife of Dreams), I'm now also perusing The Klingon Art of War, as "translated by" Keith R.A. deCandido. 

An enjoyable read, it has a surprising amount of depth, but without being overly complex.  Admittedly, you won't see a lot of Sun Tzu's and/or Clausewitz's precepts here, as the book is less about waging large-scale war and more about addressing personal behavior, ethics, etc., but it's still an interesting read for all that.  Kind of like "Bushido for Klingons".

I flipped through that at B&N the other day but just wasnt impressed with it.  ended up grabbing Maritime Dominion an the Triumph of the Free World.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

BanzaiCat

I miss browsing at B&N. Or working at a bookstore and getting a sweet discount to blow my paycheck on.

vyshka

Finished The Crystal Shard and started Streams of Silver as I continue to work through some of the Drizzt books. I will probably take a break on them after the Icewind Dale trilogy is completed. Goodreads says I am up to 24 books for the year so I guess I will surpass my target of 26. Other books currently in some state of being read: The Cathedral & The Bazaar by Eric Raymond, Systems Performance by Brendan Gregg, and Playing the World by Jon Peterson.

In the queue to be read:

Of Dice and Men
The Defense of Moscow 1941
The Lies of Locke Lamora
A Song Called Youth
and probably 1000 other books :)

Martok

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 04, 2014, 11:14:13 AM
KoD doing well for you I trust? The first part might have started a little slow, but compared to CoT...
Oh yes.  I'm enjoying it as well as I did the first time -- more so, actually, as this time there's not a several-month gap in between reading CoT and KoD wherein my memory gets a little fuzzy.  :) 

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on September 05, 2014, 03:20:13 AM
Quote from: Martok on September 03, 2014, 09:57:07 AM

I flipped through that at B&N the other day but just wasnt impressed with it.  ended up grabbing Maritime Dominion an the Triumph of the Free World.
In my specific case, it probably helps a lot that I've long been a fan of DeCandido's previous work in the Trek-verse, especially Articles of the Federation and his I.K.S. Gorkon/Klingon Empire novels.  That man has done for Klingons what Diane Duane has done for Vulcans and Romulans. 

"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

airboy

Wrote a review for Islands of Rage and Hope by John Ringo - book 3 in the zombie apocalypse series.  I really enjoyed this one.  It should appear eventually when space permits.

Martok

At long last, I've stepped into unknown -- or perhaps "virgin" would be more accurate -- territory and begun reading The Gathering Storm, the first of the WoT books written by Brandon Sanderson. 

It'll be interesting to see how his writing style contrasts with Jordan's.  I'm already beginning to spot numerous differences, but will withhold comment until I'm further in. 

TacticalWargames

After overdosing on WH40K I've finally started  Other side of the Wire Vol 2 by Ralph Whitehead. This first book is one of my all time fav military history books. I did start Vol 2 last year but had had enough of WW1 at that point..so now restarted and hopefully the final vol will come out next year.

I manged to get both volumes in hardback limited edition of 750 and signed. Vol 1 is now only available in paperback. Still the research is outstanding..prob the best I've seen.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Volume-German-Reserve-September-1914-June/dp/1908916893/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1410349517&sr=8-4&keywords=other+side+of+the+wire

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Other-Side-Wire-Volume/dp/1907677127/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_y

Gusington

Reading a steampunkish compilation right now called Queen Victoria's Book of Spells.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

TacticalWargames

Just ordered this from Amazon.

Poilu: The World War I Notebooks of Corporal Louis Barthas, Barrelmaker, 1914-1918 by Louis Barthas

http://www.amazon.com/Poilu-Notebooks-Corporal-Barrelmaker-1914-1918/dp/0300191596/ref=pd_sim_b_44?ie=UTF8&refRID=0B5QD0PMRHM156MRZB52

WallysWorld

Reading through German Panzer Divisions of WWII by Chris Bishop and Jorge Rosado.

Nice 'beer and pretzels' book on each of the Panzer divisions showing their history and their armor allotment during different stages of the war. Best thing is I got it for $5 at Chapters.

http://www.amazon.com/German-Panzer-Divisions-Chris-Bishop/dp/1782740651/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410387864&sr=8-1&keywords=Jorge+Rosado+%26+Chris

That Louis Barthas book posted above looks very interesting.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

BanzaiCat

I've got a copy of Goering's Grenadiers somewhere, and it's pissing me off that I can't find it. It's a great tome reviewing Luftwaffe field divisions. I did an article in World at War Magazine last year on it, and that book was invaluable as a resource. Grr...