What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Yeah definitely. In between, the next book actually, is Japan 1941: Countdown to Infamy by Eri Hotta. After that, maybe, will be Pacific Crucible by Ian Toll.

Growing up I never did a lot of WWII reading because I had my grandparents and it felt more like current events than history. I'm now learning how much I didn't know, or wasn't told.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Pacific Crucible is another gem that has a spot on my bookshelf.

I love reading history. I've been fascinated with WW2 since I was a kid. My Grandfather was in the Navy during the war. He had some amazing stories.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: Gusington on May 11, 2015, 08:58:25 PM
Yeah definitely. In between, the next book actually, is Japan 1941: Countdown to Infamy by Eri Hotta. After that, maybe, will be Pacific Crucible by Ian Toll.

Growing up I never did a lot of WWII reading because I had my grandparents and it felt more like current events than history. I'm now learning how much I didn't know, or wasn't told.

Hell, i plan on learning a bit of how much I dont know until i am kaput.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: mirth on May 11, 2015, 09:07:02 PM
Pacific Crucible is another gem that has a spot on my bookshelf.

+1

Neptune's Inferno is great as well if you're looking to scratch an early Pacific War itch.

Gusington

Neptune's Inferno is also on my list. Before that though I have a short title on the development and deployment of the Me 262. May also pick up another couple of titles on German and Japanese experimental aircraft of the 1930s and 1940s...love that stuff.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

I read Neptune's Inferno a couple months back. Loved it.

In addition to the Kershaw book, I am currently reading Eagle Against the Sun: The American War With Japan by Ronald Spector.  Another 50 cent bargain I picked up.

Reading the Pac War stuff makes me want to play Flat Top.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

Speaking of Ian Toll, Six Frigates is a great read also.

Barthheart

Where do you guys find the time for all your reading?!? I'm a slow reader and currently have about 8 books stacked up on my night stand.  :P

mirth

Quote from: Barthheart on May 12, 2015, 08:18:35 AM
Where do you guys find the time for all your reading?!? I'm a slow reader and currently have about 8 books stacked up on my night stand.  :P

I'm a terribly slow reader. I can read quickly out of necessity, but it kills the enjoyment for me.

I read pretty much every spare moment I get. Mostly later at night or early in the morning when things are relatively calm.

Gusington

Me too...very slow reader. I also read late at night, or sometimes while at practices that my daughters are at. I have about 40 titles I have collected over the years in queue, and that is down from a high of about 100!

When I commuted 2.5 hours each direction I would pack that time with more reading and tear through books. That was the only redeeming quality of commuting that far.

Have also had Six Frigates in my sights for a long time. I love naval history, which is ironic because I am almost phobic of the open ocean.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Airborne Rifles

These days when I say I "read" a book what I usually mean is that I listened to it while running or walking. I run about 25 miles a week and walk 30 minutes to work and back, so I burn through audiobooks at a pretty good clip. Three kids under 5 right now means I don't get much real "read" reading done.

bob48

Just about to order off amazon,  'Ardennes 1944: Hitler's Last Gamble' by Antony Beevor.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

mirth

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on May 12, 2015, 05:12:20 PM
These days when I say I "read" a book what I usually mean is that I listened to it while running or walking. I run about 25 miles a week and walk 30 minutes to work and back, so I burn through audiobooks at a pretty good clip. Three kids under 5 right now means I don't get much real "read" reading done.

3 kids under 5. You have my sympathy, sir  :uglystupid2:

Gusington

Goddamn AR you are a glutton for punishment in many ways.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Finished Ghost On The Throne.

It had some good details of the initial chaos of the Diadochoi wars.  It's a good read. 

But at the same time, I expected the timeline to proceed further than it did; the book to be longer.  Felt like it ended only after the early years when most of Philip & Alexander's remaining family had been offed, but even the last of those were summarized as an afterthought in the very end.  Notably, it didn't get into the longer term Succession Wars at all, or even the initial settling of the dynasties, which I had hoped it would at least hit upon. 

Maybe I was expecting too much.  Nearly half the pages in the Kindle version are reference & clarification notes at the back.  Was a bit surprised when it ended, as it seemed to do so rather abruptly.  As if the author decided to stop writing at that point and end it ASAP.