What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

I don't dabble a lot in WWII alternate history stuff. ACW and WWI alternate history I dig.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: BC on June 30, 2017, 07:26:39 AM
You should try 1945 by Forschten and Gingrich. It was way the hell out there but the whole bit with Skorzeny conducting raids on American soil was interesting.

Fun read. I wish they had done the follow-on books.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

Forstchen's The Lost Regiment series was excellent. Would make an awesome move.  O0
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on June 30, 2017, 07:47:27 AM
Forstchen's The Lost Regiment series was excellent. Would make an awesome move.  O0

A Lost Regiment movie has been rumored for many years. I think it was optioned at least once,  but nothing came out of it.

I liked the first few books, but they became repetitive as the series went on.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

BanzaiCat

As long as you stay away from Harry Turtledove. Paint drying is far more exciting than his pedantic plots.

Gusington

Never read him on the advice of almost everyone here.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: BC on June 30, 2017, 07:52:08 AM
As long as you stay away from Harry Turtledove. Paint drying is far more exciting than his pedantic plots.

Yep. I've tried many times to read Turtledove. Never made it past the first chapter of anything he's written.

Gusington

I hate stories where a Confederate units get AK47s or a Roman legion lands on Mars.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Quote from: mirth on June 30, 2017, 07:50:52 AM

A Lost Regiment movie has been rumored for many years. I think it was optioned at least once,  but nothing came out of it.

I think the first four are pretty amazing; it's one of my favorite series ever. The fourth is pushing it a bit (not sure if it's the third or fourth one where they defend the Rome/Roma area or not). I did read a few after that but I don't remember the plots from them.

There was indeed a movie in the works, which got me all excited. I don't even see it showing up on IMDB anymore. Forstchen.com's last update on this was from 2007 I think. A shame, but then again, considering Hollywood's track record, they'd find a way to screw it up and make it pander to the Chinese market.

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on June 30, 2017, 07:56:40 AM
I hate stories where a Confederate units get AK47s or a Roman legion lands on Mars.

As stupid as those concepts sound, you'd think they could at least be fun in a pulpy sorta way. Turtledove just makes everything dull.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Gusington on June 30, 2017, 07:56:40 AM

Guns of the South was...an okay read. It was the ONLY book Turtledove did that was readable for me (admittedly I read it early on before I even knew who he was - I worked at Waldenbooks at the time and saw the hardcover with Lee on the cover holding an AK-47 and that got me all moist in the cockles of my alt-history heart).

I tried his Roman Legion series (the Videossis Cycle? Something like that, I don't care enough to look it up) where a Roman legion is transported to another planet, and I couldn't get through it.

Turtledove's books are like what's wrong with trailers these days. Trailer-makers can make any movie look like the most amazing thing ever, but when you go see it, the movie sucks balls. That's Turtledove in a nutshell - great ideas, awesomely shitty and boring executions.

mirth

Quote from: BC on June 30, 2017, 07:57:13 AM
Quote from: mirth on June 30, 2017, 07:50:52 AM

I think the first four are pretty amazing; it's one of my favorite series ever. The fourth is pushing it a bit (not sure if it's the third or fourth one where they defend the Rome/Roma area or not). I did read a few after that but I don't remember the plots from them.

There was indeed a movie in the works, which got me all excited. I don't even see it showing up on IMDB anymore. Forstchen.com's last update on this was from 2007 I think. A shame, but then again, considering Hollywood's track record, they'd find a way to screw it up and make it pander to the Chinese market.

I think the fourth is where I stopped reading. Those first 2-3 where excellent.

BanzaiCat

That's one of the few series that actually gets better the further into it you get...at least for those first three or four books.

mirth

Quote from: BC on June 30, 2017, 08:00:23 AM
Turtledove's books are like what's wrong with trailers these days. Trailer-makers can make any movie look like the most amazing thing ever, but when you go see it, the movie sucks balls. That's Turtledove in a nutshell - great ideas, awesomely shitty and boring executions.

That's why I've tried reading his stuff so many times. The jacket synopsis always sounds really cool and the cover art looks great, but what's inside sucks.

Gusington

Come for the great ideas, stay for the shitty, boring executions!

Since I do love steampunk and dieselpunk genres, that is probably directly related to my like of older alternate history with a nice dash of plausible tech and events. Nothing too out there, like Star wearing underwear or a sober Toonces.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd