What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Greybriar likes Turtledove.

I can't judge as I have never read his dreck 😎

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

To each his own. I'll forever despise Turtledove and his publishers.

mirth

I knew what he was talkin bout, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity for a Different Strokes reference.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: BanzaiCat on September 21, 2017, 12:47:48 PM
To each his own. I'll forever despise Turtledove and his publishers.

To each his own is right. I realize Bond and Turtledove are both very popular and successful authors. And I'm not trying to piss off anyone who enjoys their work, but I definitely have not enjoyed reading either despite many attempts.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Greybriar

Many people enjoy reading Turtledove's books. I've only read one series of his books but I don't understand the criticism I have seen of him here. Is Turtledove my favorite author? No, not by a long shot. But I have read far worse books than his. Dreck? I wish I had the money his books have brought in for him.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

mirth

Quote from: Greybriar on September 21, 2017, 12:54:44 PM
Dreck? I wish I had the money his books have brought in for him.

So do I. I also don't particularly like most of Stephen King's work, but he seems to be doing alright without my support.

Gusington

It all boils down to Greybriar's sig.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

We're talking about books, not PC games.

Gusington

Doesn't matter. It's art and subjective.

You don't know my pain!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

I might think Turtledove sucks and his publishers are grade-A a**holes, but I respect Greybriar for his taste in liking the author. After all, just because it's my opinion doesn't mean it's the most popular or correct one.

And mirth is right about Stephen King, too. I've not read but a few of his books and they're struggles. The Mist was the only one (and of course it was a short story) that I actually enjoyed a great deal.

mirth

King is a much better short story writer than novelist.

Gusington

I haven't read any Turtledove and just a few King novels. I have met many more people that despise King than even know who Turtledove is.

Still very much looking forward to Salem's Lot. If it is even close in quality to The Stand or The Shining, I will enjoy it. If it's gross like The Dark Half, I won't.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Salem's Lot is excellent and scary as hell. It's also one of his shorter novels.

Gusington

I have read many reviews and talked to many peeps who agree with your above statement. Hell just the poster for tv movie from the early 80s scares the crap out of me.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd