What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbmike

It's going to be interesting to see how they do it. I hope it doesn't get Jar Jar'd.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bob48

Quote from: bob48 on December 13, 2017, 07:05:32 AM
Quote from: BanzaiCat on December 12, 2017, 06:35:15 PM
Quote from: bob48 on December 12, 2017, 04:38:23 PM
Thank you, BC. I just picked that up for my Kindle for £0.99

Which one, Bob?

I'm fairly excited over the Northern Operations book. I always wanted to learn something more in-depth about German operations there beyond the Norway campaign and especially surrounding the Murmansk offensives.

The one about the Orne and Pegasus bridges.

Proving to be a very interesting read so far.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Gusington

About to begin The Faded Map: Lost Kingdoms of Scotland by Alistair Moffett.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Whoa, thanks for that one, Gus. Sounds like something to read before the next trip over there!

Gusington

Actually I have to thank you. With your late night conversatin', I was able to choose this era over WWI, for now.

Have you read any Alistair Moffett? He is a legend in the UK, especially Scotland. I've read a few books by him and picked up a couple of more when I was on the Isle of Sky.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

I've not, though I've just tried for the last several minutes to find a book I have on my Kindle about a history of Scotland. The dude goes into the VERY distant past, describing the Earth forming and the plates that formed northwestern Europe, going into migration to England, how it was connected to mainland Europe via Doggerland, and then into the history of Scotland. It's not showing up in my Kindle library on my PC.

I think it's this one, though. I haven't tried to read it since I last went in May.

Gusington

Haven't heard of that one. Tectonics is a little too far back for me :)

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

I thought the same, but it's actually rather interesting. Instead of choosing an arbitrary point in time and declaring that to be the start of the history of Scotland, he instead decides to ratchet the clock back a ways and start from scratch. I didn't finish the book but he's very entertaining in his description, so it's not some boring treatise on plate tectonics. At least, I didn't think so. It actually sets the stage well and shows you how society on the British Isles started the way they did.

And it was the first time I learned about Doggerland, too, which I found fascinating.

Gusington

'I didn't finish the book.'

😎

20 pages in to The Faded Map and it starts with a Greek explorer's charting of almost the entire British coastline, circa 320 BC!

😳

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Staggerwing

Quote from: MetalDog on December 27, 2017, 08:01:16 PM
320 BC?  I had no idea.

That was Pytheas of Massalia. There is even a chance that he passed Iceland on his circumnavigation of the British Isles.

If you get the chance, read "The Extraordinary Voyage of Pytheas the Greek" by none other than Barry Cunliffe.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

^That's him. You guys should pick up The Faded Map, you would love it.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Killing Pablo by Mark Bowden
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

I could read a menu written by Mark Bowden and be happy.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd