Ubuntu, Linux, and Gaming

Started by Staggerwing, August 02, 2012, 05:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junk2drive

Back in 2009 I had a problem with my XP install after a Windows update failed. I feared a repair/reinstall. A coworker suggested ubuntu as that was what he used. For free why not. So 09.04 became my daily OS. I read the forums every day and searched for answers. It became a hobby as much as playing games. Eventually I needed XP for games and reinstalled, SP1, SP2, SP3, and on and on...
Later on I tried a newer version, it didn't like my ATI card and would not work. Since XP worked and I needed it for games that I was beta testing, I gave up on linux. I took another look in mid 2011 when I built this computer with a 500g SATA drive. XP SP0 doesn't know what a SATA drive is. I had to search for what I needed and make an install disc from the XP iso and the SATA files. I really got pissed when I found that XP can only use 3.2g of my 4g of RAM! I never filled my old 80g HDD so 500g is a lot of empty space for me to try anything. I started with the RC1 beta of 11.10 and followed that to official release. Then I added beta 1 of 12.04 on another partition.

Currently ATI drivers are working well for me. Nvidia owners are having problems. This seems to go back and forth over time. With Valve working with nvidia I expect that to change quickly.

W8taminute

I've been trying to figure out how to dual boot my MacBook Pro for months now but met with no luck.  Seems like these newer Macs will only allow you to dual boot windows which I refuse to do.  Hence my PC gaming activity has died down considerably.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

junk2drive

W8 is supposed to be the same way, no dual boot.

W8taminute

^Meaning I can run Lion and Ubuntu at the same time?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

junk2drive

I did a forum search for macbook and found this thread for triple booting

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1908210&highlight=macbook

There is a forum just for Mac users as well

W8taminute

Wow that is a good find.  I tried using rEFIT like the user mentioned but not in the fashion he specifies.  He's doing a triple boot which I won't be doing since I don't own Windows 7 but the process he outlines for installing Ubuntu is a lot different from what I've come across.  This is worth a try, much thanks kind sir!

junk2drive

Glad to help.

Anyone with an Android device is already using linux. There is a group working on an Android version for x86 boxes as well. I imagine that would allow you to run your Android apps on your PC after getting them on your device. I wouldn't mind getting the Combat Mission game for $5 if I could run it on my PC.

MarkShot

Many, many years ago I played around with Linux in a three way boot environment:  DOS/Win3, OS/2, and Linux.  It was mainly to learn UNIX for work.  For some reason the Operations Department didn't want to give me ROOT access on our UNIX boxes so that I could learn.  Being in charge of Database/Data Warehousing, I really thought I needed that depth of knowledge as we migrated from VAX/VMS.  So, I created my own UNIX box with Linux.

I was impressed with how much performance Linux delivered for so little hardware.

However, I never thought much of it for gaming as Windows is the biggest gaming platform.  Also, I've always been concerned about security.  I believe Linux is intrinsically more secure than Windows, but if you don't know what you are doing when installing/managing a networking O/S, then you can really compromise security.  I understand Windows security inside and out, but know hardly anything about Linux and security.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Nefaro on August 03, 2012, 02:32:55 AM
Just so happens that I have about 20 or 30 GB that I set aside in another partition, last time I reinstalled Windows, in case I decided to dual boot Win7 and WinXP.  Thus far I've not needed to bother doing the reversed install of XP after a newer OS so when I eventually feel like spending time to mess with it, it should be pretty painless.

Depending on what you're planning to do with Linux, that 20-30GB may not be enough.  I've seen some modern distros use up in excess of 10GB with a clean install.  Of course, lots of them will use less space, and there's nothing stopping you pruning it yourself post-install by removing software you'll never use etc.

Nefaro

Quote from: Huw the Poo on August 03, 2012, 12:34:05 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on August 03, 2012, 02:32:55 AM
Just so happens that I have about 20 or 30 GB that I set aside in another partition, last time I reinstalled Windows, in case I decided to dual boot Win7 and WinXP.  Thus far I've not needed to bother doing the reversed install of XP after a newer OS so when I eventually feel like spending time to mess with it, it should be pretty painless.

Depending on what you're planning to do with Linux, that 20-30GB may not be enough.  I've seen some modern distros use up in excess of 10GB with a clean install.  Of course, lots of them will use less space, and there's nothing stopping you pruning it yourself post-install by removing software you'll never use etc.

Yeah, I never intended for that small partition to hold a lot of programs & such.  In this case, it would just be there for toying with Ubuntu some, if I load it up.

junk2drive

Here is a 5 minute video from an OEM that uses ubuntu, an overview of the OS and software. With a chick!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzFm2tmmhGc&feature=plcp

junk2drive

junk2drive

Well I have managed to bork both of my ubuntu installs. I have no UI. No help from the forums. I suspect it is something I did with a program, ubuntu tweaks. I will reinstall this weekend...

junk2drive

The latest Humble Indie Bundle contains 6 games with linux native ports. From a linux gaming site:

QuotePlay on Windows, Mac*, and Linux* (system requirements here). Note that this is the debut for all of the Linux versions of the games. Please be patient while the developers fix any 1.0 bugs as quickly as they can, and don't hesitate to contact us if you run into any issues. *Please note that the finishing touches for Vessel's Mac and Linux debut are still being completed and should be ready in 24-72 hours.

Also of note is that FTL has a native linux version available at the dev's site.

junk2drive

If you are a fan of RPGs like Diablo, Flare is free and now available on Desura for linux, Mac and Windows.

http://flarerpg.org/