Until the Last Plane - The WW2 Airfield Management Game

Started by CarloC, March 28, 2020, 02:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarloC

Hi guys. I'm Carlo, a solo developer from Italy, and this is my game about airfield management. The idea behind is to celebrate the heroes who fought in the World War II: brave pilots who soared through the skies, and the smart ground crew who helped them by managing their planes.  In particular the second ones, we shouldn't forget the sweat and the sacrifices of the ground crew.

I've used pixel-art cause i love it  :smitten:
Hope you like the concept and I would appreciate your feedback and any suggestions.

Steam page

Jarhead0331

Looks pretty neat. Welcome aboard.

Praying for you and your country.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Phantom

My dad was RAF groundcrew in WW2 - I've put this on my Steam wishlist. Good luck with it & hope you keep safe & well.
Regards
Keith

Redwolf

On my Steam wishlist as of today. Good luck and have fun finishing it.

fran

Quote from: Redwolf on March 29, 2020, 07:47:42 AM
On my Steam wishlist as of today. Good luck and have fun finishing it.

Same here.

It does have great potential for simulation.

My first thought was why did nobody else think of this before?

A few thoughts of the game:

• Any inclusion of Base protection? For example, the setup of AA batteries to project on enemy raids on airbase.
  • Any inclusion of Base protection: In the Soviet theatre, the setup of patrols against Soviet partisans .
  • The installation of early warning systems: Including linking to radar
  • Does it deal with a single airfield? What about repairs for bomber raid requirements vs fighter protection?
  • Interesting choice for Soviet and USA for starter nations, no Brits for Battle of Britain?

All the best.

CarloC

Thanks fran for your questions, I try to anwser:

It does have great potential for simulation.
Unfortunately my game hasn't a very depth simulation model. I wanna keep it quite simple.

My first thought was why did nobody else think of this before?
Dunno, but I know why I did it: as a War Thunder player and a management games lover, I've mixed the two things :)

Any inclusion of Base protection? For example, the setup of AA batteries to project on enemy raids on airbase.
Not yet, but I think about it!  O0

Any inclusion of Base protection: In the Soviet theatre, the setup of patrols against Soviet partisans .
There are "random events" between each days. One of them is: bandits/raiders that come to your airfield trying to loot spare parts.

The installation of early warning systems: Including linking to radar
Not planned. Well...some concept of radar is already part of gameplay. But is not identified as "radar".

Does it deal with a single airfield? What about repairs for bomber raid requirements vs fighter protection?
Sorry I didn't understand.

Interesting choice for Soviet and USA for starter nations, no Brits for Battle of Britain?
Oh this is sad part. :( I've started the project with 6 nations (USA, USSR, UK, Germany, Japan, Italy), but I have to cut it to just two due to lack of funds. :'(
I'm just a developer and I have to hire graphic artists, sound designers, music composers; so I cannot afford the design for about 30-40 airplanes.
This is why I'll use Kickstarter.

P.S.: apologize; I'm not native english speaker. Hope I was clear.

Carlo

JasonPratt

Just wishlisted! -- I'm fine with a couple of campaigns for now, quite distinct. You can always add more campaigns later as expansions (or sequels), and fans of the game will buy in.  :smitten:  :bd:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

W8taminute

This looks like a fun game.  I will wishlist this and probably buy the game when it is released.   O0
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

CarloC

Thank you guys for all your support. It's important for me that you enjoy my work. :smitten:

Here is an example of the random events I was talking to Fran about.

CarloC

Hi, guys. Sorry for the long absence  :notworthy: I've prepared a video summary of my progress on the game.
Although it is not a simulated game, I tried to give a touch of realism with the placement of weapons according to the type of aircraft. I hope that lovers of historicity like it.  ;)
Then I added the squadron emblems to put more strategy to the gameplay. They are different for each country.

W8taminute

Nice progress so far.  This is looking like it will be a fun game.   O0
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

CarloC

Hi, everybody, here's the usual appointment with my development diary. This time I've worked on the menus (yes I know a bit boring but they're useful  ;)) and I've added reconnaissance missions.

CarloC

Here is the third page of the development diary. I have arranged the mission selection menu making it clearer and more informative. Then I introduced the "inspect" mode; before you can repair the aircraft now you must first know the damaged part. Finally, for lovers of historicity, I show how pixel-art models are designed to be properly proportioned like real planes.

CarloC

Hi all, I'm back. Unfortunately I don't have a new dev's diary ready. So I've updated the general gameplay video with latest features. Missions menu, new workshop system and new repair mechanics.