Main Menu

WWII Brass Brigade

Started by Zulu1966, November 26, 2019, 11:27:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomm

Quote from: ArizonaTank on December 13, 2020, 12:06:10 PM
However, I would love to see a multiplayer game where players each have a few dozen bots to command.

In Brass Brigade, you can 'recruit' nearby bots and give them simple commands. So far, I am content with being able to order some bots to follow me as bodyguards, but there are more commands available.

I enjoy the game. It is like playing a part in a war movie. Not only once have I saved a fellow bot from a charging Katana-wielding Japanese officer in the last moment!

The 'spawn problem' I mentioned above also seems to be less pronounced on maps without a chokepoint like the Arnhem bridge.

Switching tracers off makes the game look even better, IMHO.

I am also under the impression, that the firepower of different nations very much influences the battles (Germans > Brits, US > Japanese). Not bad for an 'arcade' game.

Best regards,
Thomm

Thomm

New map in the (last?) update to Brass Brigade: Streets of Berlin

Best regards
Thomm

Jarhead0331

I tried to like this game.

I failed.  :'(
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

I got excited about the Berlin map but sadly have still not fired this up.

JH what didn't you like?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on March 02, 2021, 09:02:17 AM
JH what didn't you like?

I dunno. It just sucked. The action just wasn't satisfying and was pretty clunky.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Thomm

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 02, 2021, 09:27:14 AM
JH what didn't you like?

I dunno. It just sucked. The action just wasn't satisfying and was pretty clunky.

Now, I do not want to judge you based on your posting history alone, but it seems that your standards are rather high.

Especially, since you apparently have quite a number of games to choose from.

I, on the other hand, just follow game development in general, and have little interest in investing time in actual playing. And Brass Brigade is a game where I know that I can just jump in and have fun for half an hour, before moving on to something more productive.

For Streets of Berlin, playing as the Soviets in a 15 vs. 15 match with custom settings (e.g. no special abilities, spawn time 5 sec. for infantry, 30 s for tanks, ...) is always a nail-biting contest. At this headcount, your bot comrades need you for victory.

What I like most is the atmosphere, when the shots kick up so much dust, that the target gets totally obscured in no time. I do not think I have seen this in any other game so far.

You are right about the controls, though. They could be better.

Best regards
Thomm

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Thomm on March 02, 2021, 02:46:05 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 02, 2021, 09:27:14 AM
JH what didn't you like?

Now, I do not want to judge you based on your posting history alone, but it seems that your standards are rather high.

Especially, since you apparently have quite a number of games to choose from.

I, on the other hand, just follow game development in general, and have little interest in investing time in actual playing. And Brass Brigade is a game where I know that I can just jump in and have fun for half an hour, before moving on to something more productive.

For Streets of Berlin, playing as the Soviets in a 15 vs. 15 match with custom settings (e.g. no special abilities, spawn time 5 sec. for infantry, 30 s for tanks, ...) is always a nail-biting contest. At this headcount, your bot comrades need you for victory.

What I like most is the atmosphere, when the shots kick up so much dust, that the target gets totally obscured in no time. I do not think I have seen this in any other game so far.

You are right about the controls, though. They could be better.

Best regards
Thomm

Totally fair...It is true that I'm much more of an ARMA guy, then say something like this that is aimed toward the more casual market. I'll give the new map a shot someday.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

W8taminute

Interesting discussion and JH and Thomm both bring up good points about this game.

It really all depends on what your tastes are.  Both of you are correct.  The game delivered something nice to one gamer but not to another and that is due to what was expected by each gamer. 

I'm kind of in between what Thomm and JH said.  I like the game for just being able to hop in for half an hour of fun before moving on but it is kind of clunky and not as precise as something like BF5 or Arma.  That's why I really haven't played too much with this game or with Ravenfield. 

Potato chips such as Doritos sure are yummy but they don't satisfy the way a Big Mac and chocolate shake do!
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Jarhead0331

FWIW, I enjoy Ravenfield more than Brass Brigade. I just feel like it flows much better and the combat action is more satisfying.

I reinstalled BG to give it another look.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Thomm

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 02, 2021, 02:50:40 PM
Totally fair...It is true that I'm much more of an ARMA guy, then say something like this that is aimed toward the more casual market. I'll give the new map a shot someday.

I have ARMA 3. Deinstalled it after finishing the campaign, because ... procrastination ...

I have never tried it in multiplayer. From what little I investigated, the overhead seemed to be too much for me.

If there was a way to join an ARMA multiplayer game effortlessly and play a, say, 30 min. match with respawning, I would be interested.

But I am not sure whether or not there is something like that.

I do remember, however, a story of a squad waiting four hours for an enemy that never showed up, because the enemy commander did not understand his mission properly. :hide:

Best regards,
Thomm

Toonces

Not to derail the thread, but ARMA 3 used to have King of the Hill online matches where you could simply pop in for some MP action.  I used to play it a lot, but then something happened and I lost my character and all his progress and I couldn't be bothered to start all over from scratch.  It was quite fun, though.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

W8taminute

Quote from: Toonces on March 02, 2021, 09:01:49 PM
Not to derail the thread, but ARMA 3 used to have King of the Hill online matches where you could simply pop in for some MP action.  I used to play it a lot, but then something happened and I lost my character and all his progress and I couldn't be bothered to start all over from scratch.  It was quite fun, though.

Yeah I remember that.  That mod was the basis for PUBG. 

Here's and example of some fun I had with a friend:

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Thomm

Quote from: W8taminute on March 03, 2021, 08:38:14 AM
Yeah I remember that.  That mod was the basis for PUBG. 

Here's and example of some fun I had with a friend:

That was interesting! I can see the appeal of that! Especially the teamwork!

But it is certainly a totally different game style and experience than, say, Brass Brigade.

I think it is futile to compare the two.

Best regards,
Thomm