IRL (In Real Life) > Music, TV, Movies

The Forgotten Battle. New movie about the Scheldt Estuary

<< < (3/3)

Zulu1966:

--- Quote from: Pete Dero on October 16, 2021, 03:59:26 AM ---
--- Quote from: Zulu1966 on October 16, 2021, 02:35:21 AM ---Seen it. Its ok. Not really about the battle more a composite tale of different people. Has a suitably gritty feel to it - the final battle scene is poor in conveying any sense of scale.

Go into it expecting a band of brothers and you will be disappointed - but as a tale of war it is fine.

--- End quote ---

This movie is made in the Netherlands with a budget of around 14 million euro (the larger part spend on the final battle scene !).

With those budgets we (Belgium & the Netherlands) never can compete with those larger than life action movies, so we tend to focus more on human stories during the war.

--- End quote ---

Yes - and I enjoyed it. It was a good film - not bad by any means. I was maybe a bit too unenthusiastic with the "OK" ... Well worth watching in my view.

rocketman:
Not much about the battle of the Scheldt if you go by the official dates, rather it takes place during Market Garden  :o
I was disappointed. Acting is so and so. It has an authentic period feel which is good. No amphibious landings. No sense of scale of the campaign.

Pete Dero:

--- Quote from: rocketman on October 16, 2021, 08:45:38 AM ---Not much about the battle of the Scheldt if you go by the official dates, rather it takes place during Market Garden  :o

--- End quote ---

On September 17, a British and two American airborne divisions, together with a Polish brigade, landed behind the German lines at Eindhoven, Nijmegen and Arnhem. These landings started Operation Market Garden.

On September 21, the Canadian 4th Panzer Division moved north, roughly along the Ghent - Terneuzen line. It had the task of clearing the so-called "Breskens pocket", an area around Breskens that was still in German hands. The Polish 1st Armored Division moved further east to the Belgian-Dutch border for the crucial area north of Antwerp. This is the start of the Battle of the Scheldt.

So the two actually partially coincide.

rocketman:

--- Quote from: Pete Dero on October 16, 2021, 09:54:43 AM ---
--- Quote from: rocketman on October 16, 2021, 08:45:38 AM ---Not much about the battle of the Scheldt if you go by the official dates, rather it takes place during Market Garden  :o

--- End quote ---

On September 17, a British and two American airborne divisions, together with a Polish brigade, landed behind the German lines at Eindhoven, Nijmegen and Arnhem. These landings started Operation Market Garden.

On September 21, the Canadian 4th Panzer Division moved north, roughly along the Ghent - Terneuzen line. It had the task of clearing the so-called "Breskens pocket", an area around Breskens that was still in German hands. The Polish 1st Armored Division moved further east to the Belgian-Dutch border for the crucial area north of Antwerp. This is the start of the Battle of the Scheldt.

So the two actually partially coincide.

--- End quote ---
Wikipedia puts it at Oct 2 to Nov 8:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Scheldt
Maybe the start date is fluid, but my expectation of the movie was on the campaign and that the main units would be amphibious landings, commandos and so on and not a glider plane (curiously with only two passangers aside two pilots).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version