Gundam (Mobile Suit Gundam) gets a live action movie with Disney and ILM

Started by Destraex, January 17, 2022, 02:54:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

Anybody a fan of Gundam here? I have never really watched it. But with Disney via industrial light and magic doing a live action version. Perhaps it's time to pay attention to this franchise. 1979 is when it started
A video of a director claiming to be a fan... heard this before with star wars.

https://gundamnews.org/sunrise-releases-first-concept-art-of-live-action-mobile-suit-gundam-film

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

JasonPratt

....oohhhh nooooo, now they're coming for you, too, Gundam?!?  :-\ :'( :buck2:

At this point, I have zero faith in Disney's ability to do anything good with even an animated Gundam series, much less a live action one.

I'm enough of a fan to own every series up through... double-0, if I recall correctly. (Lots of series since then, out of which I've only gotten the Thunderbolt movie so far.) So a good twentyish series (every season or two is a new story, so a new 'series' in American terms, about half the time in a new milieu) plus a few related movies. And this fills me entirely with dread.

But hey. I've got my old series to watch any time. One of the nice things about Gundam is that if someone puts out a substandard or sucky entry, or even one you just don't like for various aesthetic reasons (the first Super-Deformed Gundam series had a lot better comedy writing and plotting than I expected, but I can sure understand why most fans or even random watchers might hate it) you can usually just ignore it while still appreciating everything else.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

On the other hand, he just said that Legendary will be involved with this. Which gives me some hope. Normally I'd give a lot of cautious optimism to a Gundam live-action series by the guys behind Pacific Rim (I even liked the sequel, as broken-plotted as it was, though many people didn't -- and they teased doing a Gundam property eventually come to think of it!!) And after all, he directed Legendary's Kong: Skull Island which despite having some plot problems I really liked a lot.

On the other hand again, he just said that Netflix will be involved with this. As well as Disney....??? Netflix has mostly ruined its attempts at creating new versions of fan-favorite properties, so I have sighs again.  :-\
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

As to whether it's time to get into the original series (and all its seasons, at least half of which are separate continuity series of their own).... phew.

Back in 2018 I took over a thread where Jarhead asked if the series was any good and/or where to start with it, after he enjoyed a Playstation Warriors adaptation game.

This thread can be found here: http://www.grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=21305.msg583647#msg583647

Be ware. Be very aware. I GO INTO DETAILS!

And summaries.

And a summary of my summaries.

Because I'm Prattman.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

jamus34

Can't wait to see how Disney's shits all over this like Netflix did with cowboy bebop.

Hopefully they decide to go for the motherload of all dumps and gets Michael Bay to direct.
Insert witty comment here.

GDS_Starfury

never could get into the Gundam stuff.
the robots just look stupid!
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.