PC Game Review: Panzer Corps Grand Campaign '45 East

Started by The Wargamer, September 23, 2012, 05:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Quote from: jomni on September 24, 2012, 07:57:38 AM
Why would it bother you?  Spammer?  There's an account on the other side posting announcing links to articles here.

I think one guy went over there and made one post just for giggles.

I'm not encouraging people to cross-post over there, as noted above. But if someone goes over there and posts there's not much I can do about it.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

jomni

[Sorry I change my post as I was saying something that someone else already pointed out.]  But yeah I guess that guy posted in retaliation to this. 

LongBlade

Quote from: jomni on September 24, 2012, 08:04:25 AM
[Sorry I change my post as I was saying something that someone else already pointed out.]  But yeah I guess that guy posted in retaliation to this.

I appreciate the head's up. I spend zero time thinking about what happens on other websites so I'm truly in the dark about what goes on there or elsewhere.

And frankly, I don't care what happens there. What I don't want is some kind of flame war popping up between sites. I've got plenty of work to do today without being distracted.

jomni

I'll be watching that thread on the other side.  So far no one has taken the bait if it was indeed a bait.

LongBlade

Quote from: jomni on September 24, 2012, 09:10:05 AM
I'll be watching that thread on the other side.  So far no one has taken the bait if it was indeed a bait.

Thank you :)

son_of_montfort

Quote from: jomni on September 24, 2012, 07:57:38 AM
Why would it bother you?  Spammer?  Is there a ban on promoting another site's relevant articles?

Netiquette tends to lean toward not cross-posting links in a competitor's forum without first asking permission from the site admins/mods. It just leads to bad blood and possibility for a flame war. 
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

JudgeDredd

wow - where did this spring from? Is there bad feeling between the two or something? I certainly didn't think that was the case when I was invited here - I just thought it was an additional place to talk wargaming.

I frequent both places and Matrix - though don't post as much as I used to here, there or Matrix for that matter - but if one site posts something on here (or Wargamer or Matrix) and I pick it up there - and it's relevant, then I'm pleased.

This just makes me feel kind of uneasy and will make me think twice about posting something that I found on one of the other sites.

Can't we all just share?
Alba gu' brath

Bison

I don't think there is any issue sharing and discussing wargames, boardgames games or whatnot across forums.  The actual community that plays a number of the wargames is quite small.  I think most here visit sites like wargamer, matrix, battlefront, slitherine, rock paper shotgun, gamesquad, etc...

The question is for me simply as a member is: is there an exchange of ideas and chatter or is it limited to a single impersonal line and a link? 

I know that there are a number of guys here who post links to other sites or blogs.  It's cool to get all the different perspectives.  However, they also stick around to chat it up a little every now and again.

Just my 2 coppers.

Arctic Blast

I wouldn't see any problem with sharing links and the like, JD. As Bison said, I think we all frequent many forums all over the Internets.

The issue I personally have with stuff like this is that stuff like this is being put up, time and again, by an account that exists for no other reason than to shill for another site. It isn't a community member pointing out something they've seen elsewhere, it's pretty much spamming the forum with no other purpose for existing here and no other contributions being made at all. It really isn't very far removed from an actual spam account.

The fact that, as far as I'm aware, they are doing so without even asking the people running this place if they have any issues with them acting as a full bore ad-bot is what really comes off as pretty damn lame.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Arctic Blast on September 24, 2012, 05:29:39 PM
The issue I personally have with stuff like this is that stuff like this is being put up, time and again, by an account that exists for no other reason than to shill for another site. It isn't a community member pointing out something they've seen elsewhere, it's pretty much spamming the forum with no other purpose for existing here and no other contributions being made at all. It really isn't very far removed from an actual spam account.

I think you and Bison hit it on the head.  Nothing wrong with sharing information, but more how this comes across by just posting a link with the sole intent to draw attention.  As you pointed out, this account has been used for nothing but this purpose, no contributions made by it and seems like only created for this purpose.

I have no issue with sharing information amongst active members at all.....

sandman2575

Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 24, 2012, 04:56:00 PM
wow - where did this spring from? Is there bad feeling between the two or something? I certainly didn't think that was the case when I was invited here - I just thought it was an additional place to talk wargaming.

I frequent both places and Matrix - though don't post as much as I used to here, there or Matrix for that matter - but if one site posts something on here (or Wargamer or Matrix) and I pick it up there - and it's relevant, then I'm pleased.

This just makes me feel kind of uneasy and will make me think twice about posting something that I found on one of the other sites.

Can't we all just share?

i have to say i don't get this either -- it does seem like there's some vague turf war or bad blood between Wargamer and Grogheads -- i guess it's something between insiders...  although as someone who has frequented Wargamer for a while, and who is happy to check out what's up on Grogheads as well, i just have no idea what the backstory is here.   :-\

Jarhead0331

Quote from: sandman2575 on September 24, 2012, 06:51:14 PM
i just have no idea what the backstory is here.   :-\

Think, "Real Housewives of New Jersey," and you'll get the gist of it.  ;)
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Steelgrave

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 24, 2012, 07:48:44 PM
Quote from: sandman2575 on September 24, 2012, 06:51:14 PM
i just have no idea what the backstory is here.   :-\

Think, "Real Housewives of New Jersey," and you'll get the gist of it.  ;)

Except with less sex.

junk2drive

Someone posted over there about Matrix owning Wargamer.

As far as I remember, they guy that started WG had some problems. David Heath helped him out by letting him use the Matrix servers and feed him some money with the Ads. Matrix never owned the site.

Recently, like the last couple of years, the site changed hands a time or two and the site was no longer using Matrix servers. However my experience is that if Matrix is down, so is WG.

jomni

As a mod on the other side, all I can say is that people are free to nitpick Matrix Titles in the forums and we are taking in more non-matrix articles.