Germantown: October 4 1777, 6am

Started by MengJiao, April 16, 2023, 03:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Given how the American Revolution was sort of a high point for the French Navy, I thought I'd look into
the battles on land as well.  I found a slightly sat-upon copy of GMT's Germantown (from 2010 or so) and went to work.  Apparently, though Germantown was a fiasco for the Americans, the French were impressed with the audacity of  Washington's four-converging columns at dawn attack plan.  Here the vanguard shatters some redcoat defenders and the Americans look okay for the moment:

You cannot view this attachment.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on April 16, 2023, 03:42:00 PMGiven how the American Revolution was sort of a high point for the French Navy, I thought I'd look into
the battles on land as well.  I found a slightly sat-upon copy of GMT's Germantown (from 2010 or so) and went to work.  Apparently, though Germantown was a fiasco for the Americans, the French were impressed with the audacity of  Washington's four-converging columns at dawn attack plan. 

By 10, the Americans are doing extremely well in part because I brought in reinforcements on the wrong road
and Stephens (drunk as usual) led his troops off in a relatively harmless direction rather than accidently
attacking the rest of the American army in the fog causing a mass panic as happened historically.
  Sullivan still hasn't taken the Chew House, but the rest of the Royalist line is starting to cave in:

You cannot view this attachment.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on April 17, 2023, 07:09:25 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on April 16, 2023, 03:42:00 PMGiven how the American Revolution was sort of a high point for the French Navy, I thought I'd look into
the battles on land as well.  I found a slightly sat-upon copy of GMT's Germantown (from 2010 or so) and went to work.  Apparently, though Germantown was a fiasco for the Americans, the French were impressed with the audacity of  Washington's four-converging columns at dawn attack plan. 

By 10, the Americans are doing extremely well in part because I brought in reinforcements on the wrong road
and Stephens (drunk as usual) led his troops off in a relatively harmless direction rather than accidently
attacking the rest of the American army in the fog causing a mass panic as happened historically.
  Sullivan still hasn't taken the Chew House, but the rest of the Royalist line is starting to cave in:

By noon, the garrison of the Chew house was captured.  Cornwallis had been killed and the Royal Army hit
total demoralization resulting in a substantial (but not decisive) win for the Americans.