2016 Running Football Thread

Started by bayonetbrant, February 28, 2016, 06:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

Not sure you can count anything before Bear, but, that still gives us 8 or 9.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

JasonPratt

I actually think we (the Vols) have a better chance against Bama this year, after the debacle vs the Aggies. Sometimes we need a shock to remind us that we have to play to win from the first second if we're going to, y'know, win -- especially against a dangerous opponent.

Re twerking: I'm not sure that term even existed before Miley. And if it did, I'm sure I don't want to know how or why. If it helps us against Bama, though, I might have a higher opinion of it.

Quote• Alabama only had 12 National Championships. We (yes, I'm an Alabama fan) now have 16.

I would  :buck2:, except y'all earned every one of those, and we still get to cheer for the SEC in the finals.  O:-)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Bison

Quote from: MetalDog on October 13, 2016, 11:28:08 PM

Why not?  Just curious.

Marty Ward

Hah.

As many football championships as Bama has they still need a lot more to catch Princeton (28) or Yale (27)! :)
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

bayonetbrant

One of my old grad school classmates was a Rutgers grad. He used to always sign his emails with the line "Rutgers Football, 1869 National Champions"
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

Quote from: Bison on October 14, 2016, 11:31:23 AM

Why not?  Just curious.

I will have to admit my ignorance as to the year, but, it is a widely held belief by the college football establishment that no National Championships count before said year for any program.  I believe it is due to the perception that there was no way to determine a clear cut consensus.  Regardless, Bear's, Gene Stallings's, and Saban's are all good.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

airboy

Quote from: MetalDog on October 14, 2016, 07:26:24 PM
Quote from: Bison on October 14, 2016, 11:31:23 AM

Why not?  Just curious.

I will have to admit my ignorance as to the year, but, it is a widely held belief by the college football establishment that no National Championships count before said year for any program.  I believe it is due to the perception that there was no way to determine a clear cut consensus.  Regardless, Bear's, Gene Stallings's, and Saban's are all good.

Agreed.  Although some years like the split between Georgia Tech & "Give me 5 downs" Colorado make you question some of the pre playoff era championships.
But I agree with the ones you list.

bayonetbrant

Colorado tied one, lost one, and cheated to win another that year.  GT had the tie in Chapel Hill and that was it.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

Well steelies Sooners whooped K-State's ass today.

Steelgrave

Quote from: Bison on October 15, 2016, 02:32:03 PM
Well steelies Sooners whooped K-State's ass today.

Oklahoma Sooners....always good, not always good enough   ::) 

airboy

Good football weekend.  UNC beat #16 Miami and Dook lost.
Auburn did not play.

bayonetbrant

And NC State went full Clemson, at Clemson...

airboy

Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 14, 2016, 08:48:33 PM
Colorado tied one, lost one, and cheated to win another that year.  GT had the tie in Chapel Hill and that was it.

Tie was in Atlanta.  Weirdly enough, my wife and I went to the game.  We thought UNC would lose by 5 touchdowns but ended up disappointed in the tie.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: airboy on October 16, 2016, 12:50:48 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 14, 2016, 08:48:33 PM

Tie was in Atlanta.  Weirdly enough, my wife and I went to the game.  We thought UNC would lose by 5 touchdowns but ended up disappointed in the tie.

I could've sworn that game was in Chapel Hill...

OJsDad

Add Perdue to the list of schools looking for a new head coach.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.