2016 Running Football Thread

Started by bayonetbrant, February 28, 2016, 06:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Much to the not-surprise of all thinking people, Bama and the Vols destroyed the Vols. Again.

My quip there picks up and expands an observation from one of the commentators: Alabama is not going to beat itself. But the Vols sure will!  :buck2: :tickedoff:

Bama did a good job cycling their second string in and out, too, to give the primary players a rest. When a team can play at 10% fatigue for most of the game, and the other team creeps into the 50 or 60% fatigue (or worse), then there's only one way that game is going to end: catastrophic collapse.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Arctic Blast

Quote from: airboy on October 09, 2016, 10:20:17 AM
NFL viewership is down sharply this season.  It is especially down for those under 35.

I've read a couple of stories about this.  Most of them blame the election.  But the National Anthem protests could not be helping matters.

It would help if they'd allow schedule flexibility and not be stuck broadcasting 8 games of teams expected to be good but who royally suck every damn year.

Goodell hasn't helped. The fact the league keeps facing scandals for off-field conduct and doesn't even pretend to give a damn doesn't help.

Most of all, lack of stars. There aren't very many players you tune in and excitedly watch right now. Newton's trying, but that team around him is awful. Rodgers and the Packers just look out of sync. Brees is stuck on a team with no defense. Brady was suspended. Peterson's hurt (and frankly looked done before the injury). Beckham can be fun to watch, but he's way too caught up in himself this year.

Marty Ward

Quote from: Arctic Blast on October 21, 2016, 01:19:07 AM
Quote from: airboy on October 09, 2016, 10:20:17 AM
NFL viewership is down sharply this season.  It is especially down for those under 35.

I've read a couple of stories about this.  Most of them blame the election.  But the National Anthem protests could not be helping matters.

It would help if they'd allow schedule flexibility and not be stuck broadcasting 8 games of teams expected to be good but who royally suck every damn year.

Goodell hasn't helped. The fact the league keeps facing scandals for off-field conduct and doesn't even pretend to give a damn doesn't help.

Most of all, lack of stars. There aren't very many players you tune in and excitedly watch right now. Newton's trying, but that team around him is awful. Rodgers and the Packers just look out of sync. Brees is stuck on a team with no defense. Brady was suspended. Peterson's hurt (and frankly looked done before the injury). Beckham can be fun to watch, but he's way too caught up in himself this year.

There are football games on to many days. If you count College I think Tuesday is the only day it isn't on.

The NFL should only be on Sunday and Monday. Get rid of the Thursday night game so teams don't play on 4 days rest. And screw those London games, I'm not sure even the teams best fans on the West coast are going to get up at 6 am on Sunday to watch them.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

Bison

mirth

Why is Tom of 'Tom & Jerry' the K-State mascot?
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

airboy

Quote from: mirth on October 22, 2016, 03:12:04 PM
Because he takes it on the chin almost every time?

bayonetbrant

Tuesday night is usually a MAC game on ESPN
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

OJsDad

Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 10, 2016, 12:16:35 PM
I watch FNIA for the highlights, and an occasional game in the background if I'm working / cleaning around the house, but outside of a Super Bowl, I honestly can't remember the last time I watched a complete NFL game end-to-end the way I do college games, even for teams I'm only marginally interested in (like Clemson - Louisville 2 weeks ago)

I'll watch more college games in one day then I do pro games all year.  It's been that way for me for many years now.  The college games seem so much more exciting.  I think it's in part because in college, losing a game, especially later into the season can know a team out of the playoffs.  In the pros, losing 3-4 games and you can still make the playoffs.

I think the other reason I like college a lot more, is that I still go to our local HS games.  The atmosphere for HS and college are a lot closer.  Pro's is just so different. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

MetalDog

Pro football is more polished and I like that better.  If I watch college, it's either 'Bama or it's on tv wherever I may be.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

MetalDog

Verne Lundquist just said, "Watch the Giants rub it out with the Rams in London."  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Bison

Quote from: airboy on October 22, 2016, 03:19:14 PM
Quote from: mirth on October 22, 2016, 03:12:04 PM
Because he takes it on the chin almost every time?

Not today.  We took down Texas and helped demonstrate just how overrated they were going into the season.

bbmike

I'm happy, my Argonauts won.  8)
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

My boys did their level best to keep the Lamar Jackson Heisman campaign going today.  Eesh. They were capital-B BAD today...