2016 Running Football Thread

Started by bayonetbrant, February 28, 2016, 06:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Brent Musberger just got *very* verbally forceful about his "support" for Mixon and Stoops giving him a second chance
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

Yeah I'm all for second chances, but if you watch the video of Mixon punching the girl it certainly begs the question of what if he weren't Mixon would have happened to him.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Bison on January 03, 2017, 07:17:26 PM
Yeah I'm all for second chances, but if you watch the video of Mixon punching the girl it certainly begs the question of what if he weren't Mixon would have happened to him.

Mixon or not, if the video had come out 2 years ago, he'd be gone.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

My understanding is that the video was "seen" by authorities and you'd think school officials.  The video was released recently by Mixon's lawyers because the media had requested and gained access to it.  So it was some sort of preemptive control of the narrative.  I think if he had been any other kid your right.

bayonetbrant

OJsDad

After going 9-4 and winning their bowl game against Washington State, Minnesota has fired their coach. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bayonetbrant

well yeah, because they had a player revolt, a coach who publicly supported them against the administration, and then a very public walkback from a potential bowl game boycott...

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

OJsDad

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 04, 2017, 10:27:01 PM
well yeah, because they had a player revolt, a coach who publicly supported them against the administration, and then a very public walkback from a potential bowl game boycott...

Yep, coach supported his players when getting screwed over by the university.  Shame on him.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: OJsDad on January 05, 2017, 08:30:20 AM

Yep, coach supported his players when getting screwed over by the university.  Shame on him.

I'm not saying he was wrong.  I'm saying that when you publicly side with the players against your boss, you don't keep your job long

airboy

Quote from: OJsDad on January 05, 2017, 08:30:20 AM

The University was placed in this position by Obama.  Obama's Administration ordered universities to set up kangaroo courts on anything dealing with sex.  Instead of letting the police handle crimes, universities were ordered to set up a parallel universe where you cannot provide evidence, cross-examine, have appeals, or much of anything else in our legal system.  The accused players were not handled the way Obama wished them to be handled by the courts, so the university nailed them anyway.  The players were upset.

Hopefully Trump's administration will tell the universities to handle academic crimes (cheating and whatnot) and tell them to let the police and the courts handle actual crimes again.

airboy

Getting back to football, I'm expecting Alabama to beat Clemson again.  Alabama's defense has been able to handle everyone all season pretty well.  I'm guessing that will be the difference again.

Not real happy about it since I would prefer Clemson to win (I grew up very close to Clemson), but reality intrudes. :hide:

MetalDog

Quote from: airboy on January 05, 2017, 10:22:40 AM
Getting back to football, I'm expecting Alabama to beat Clemson again.  Alabama's defense has been able to handle everyone all season pretty well.  I'm guessing that will be the difference again.

Not real happy about it since I would prefer Clemson to win (I grew up very close to Clemson), but reality intrudes. :hide:

While Clemson has been very up and down this year in quality of play, they have a better quarterback.  One who has experience against a Saban D.  And they lost by 3 last year?  I'm not predicting doom, but, I suspect this game will be as close as the last one.  And in that case, either side can come out a winner.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

BanzaiCat

Holy crap, the Texans won?

At home against a team that lost their starting quarterback a few weeks ago?

Sure, why not.

Next week at Foxboro against one of the best teams, period? Even with the NFL's number one defense?

Hmm. I'll hope that Brady finally eats sh1t and the Pats go into the ground hard...they're about due.  :dreamer:

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus