carrier battles kickstarter for pc

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 01, 2018, 03:52:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Sir Slash on June 07, 2020, 02:20:37 PM
Any bugs Steve?

I've been playing/testing since early alpha.  There are still a number of game-breaking bugs.

For me the biggest one is the waypoint bug.  In many scenarios, your task forces will have a destination hex already set at the scenario start (and it's usually suicidal).  You can delete these and set new ones but there is a bug where it sometimes fails.  You delete the original waypoint and try to place a new one.  The waypoints are marked on the map with a yellow flag.  These flags will appear but your task force won't recognize them (a task force with a course set to a flag will be marked with a yellow band on the chit).  If you try to order new waypoints, the old flag marker won't disappear but a new one will be placed on the map yet your task force won't recognize that one either.  At this point, it often becomes impossible to order your task force to move so it will be stuck in its starting hex for the duration of the scenario.

The second big one is the map interface bug.  If you have any peripherals plugged into your PC other than a keyboard and mouse, there's a good chance the game will see this as a console controller and it'll default to accepting inputs from these over taking mouse/keyboard commands.  If you have a throttle, pedals, or a joystick, they won't always zero properly so the map will always scroll to the limit of one corner and it's not possible to re-centre it unless you unplug the device.

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

rocketman

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on June 07, 2020, 03:43:49 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on June 07, 2020, 02:20:37 PM
Any bugs Steve?

I've been playing/testing since early alpha.  There are still a number of game-breaking bugs.

For me the biggest one is the waypoint bug.  In many scenarios, your task forces will have a destination hex already set at the scenario start (and it's usually suicidal).  You can delete these and set new ones but there is a bug where it sometimes fails.  You delete the original waypoint and try to place a new one.  The waypoints are marked on the map with a yellow flag.  These flags will appear but your task force won't recognize them (a task force with a course set to a flag will be marked with a yellow band on the chit).  If you try to order new waypoints, the old flag marker won't disappear but a new one will be placed on the map yet your task force won't recognize that one either.  At this point, it often becomes impossible to order your task force to move so it will be stuck in its starting hex for the duration of the scenario.

The second big one is the map interface bug.  If you have any peripherals plugged into your PC other than a keyboard and mouse, there's a good chance the game will see this as a console controller and it'll default to accepting inputs from these over taking mouse/keyboard commands.  If you have a throttle, pedals, or a joystick, they won't always zero properly so the map will always scroll to the limit of one corner and it's not possible to re-centre it unless you unplug the device.
Regarding the first one; I reported a similar one in beta testing. I think it might be specific for a scenario and side you play. So if you report bugs, make sure to state scenario and side.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I get it in multiple scenarios and I've seen others reporting the same bug from both sides.

Toonces

Alright fellas, I'm going to need some help here.  I thought this was a no-brainer for me, but I have to be honest - it's leaving me pretty cold.   I'm struggling to figure out exactly what's turning me off.  I think it's the whole package feels like an iPad game.  I know that's what it evolved from, so it makes sense. 

Also, I wonder at the long-term replayability.  Too bad they didn't put in multiplayer since they went through the trouble of putting in both the U.S. and Japanese as playable sides.

I'm seriously thinking of a refund and simply holding out for TFA. 

Tell me what I'm missing here.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Toonces on June 09, 2020, 10:01:44 PM

Ale and whores.

Yeah, not getting it either.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

MengJiao

Alright fellas, I'm going to need some help here.  I thought this was a no-brainer for me, but I have to be honest - it's leaving me pretty cold.   I'm struggling to figure out exactly what's turning me off.  I think it's the whole package feels like an iPad game.  I know that's what it evolved from, so it makes sense. 

Also, I wonder at the long-term replayability.  Too bad they didn't put in multiplayer since they went through the trouble of putting in both the U.S. and Japanese as playable sides.

I think your assessment is correct.  I'm glad I got it and I'm playing it happily, but I can see how limited and annoying the game is.  Many aspects are well-implemented, but the whole thing doesn't seem to gel -- for example there are no submarines and there's a lot of baffling weirdness such as why the US floatplanes are not visible from the carrier task force point of view but they are on the Japanese side.  In all the scenarios I've played (up to Midway) fuel is never a problem.  Just skipping the game is a reasonable move unless (like me) you have a very high tolerance for all the extremely annoying aspects of many games.

rocketman

Multiplayer is high on the list for the dev to implement. So once the first batch of patches is done, I'm confident it will be worked on next. It is pretty much a one man team, so limited resources.

rocketman

Quote from: MengJiao on June 10, 2020, 06:48:52 AM

I think your assessment is correct.  I'm glad I got it and I'm playing it happily, but I can see how limited and annoying the game is.  Many aspects are well-implemented, but the whole thing doesn't seem to gel -- for example there are no submarines and there's a lot of baffling weirdness such as why the US floatplanes are not visible from the carrier task force point of view but they are on the Japanese side.  In all the scenarios I've played (up to Midway) fuel is never a problem.  Just skipping the game is a reasonable move unless (like me) you have a very high tolerance for all the extremely annoying aspects of many games.
In several scenarios fuel will be a problem when it comes to which targets you can reach/strike. In some scenarios airfields have limited fuel as well.
Just curious, why do you want to have floatplanes visible since you have their search patterns show on the map? Submarines would be a nice addition, maybe a feature later on. I know the dev has a list of stuff he wants to implement.

MengJiao

Quote from: rocketman on June 10, 2020, 08:16:11 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on June 10, 2020, 06:48:52 AM

In several scenarios fuel will be a problem when it comes to which targets you can reach/strike. In some scenarios airfields have limited fuel as well.
Just curious, why do you want to have floatplanes visible since you have their search patterns show on the map? Submarines would be a nice addition, maybe a feature later on. I know the dev has a list of stuff he wants to implement.

About the floatplanes: they show up on Japanese search displays -- why not on American search displays?  All the same...its nice that somebody is working on this topic -- it can use plenty of exploration.  And...more about floatplanes.  At one point a US task force feared it had lost some of its floatplanes, but a few days later they found them.  They had landed on the water, rigged sails and were voyaging to Australia from the Coral Sea.

Anyway, good luck to all who are working on this and I am enjoying the game.  It does need a lot of work, though.

Sir Slash

You make Slash sad to hear this bad stuff.   :-[  But thanks for taking one for The Team guys.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

airboy

I appreciate the feedback provided.  Sorry some of you feel burned.

This is one of the reasons I almost never buy any PC game in the first week or two of release.  Only exception in the last 4 years has been Order of Battle campaigns - and even they are usually released with a few minor bugs.

Sir Slash

Agree. Almost all games are better after the first patch comes out. Or two.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I backed it on KS because I enjoyed and earlier iteration of the game as an iOS app on my phone.  I'd hoped that this version of the game would've added enough to justify the jump in price but I find that it just doesn't .

I'd recommend having a look at a free-to-play browser based game called Fighting Flattops.  www.fightingflattops.com.  It's a lot of fun, it's onlinee, turn based against dirty humanz, and you can play at your leisure.

I'm currently playing an alternate history version of the Coral Sea with Royal Navy carriers instead of US.  I just sank the Shokaku but the Zuikaku is still out there somehwere and an Emily just showed up over my task force and a heavy raid is about it hit Pt. Moresby and caught me with my pants down.  CAP landed just before the incoming raid was spotted (30+ planes likely coming in from Lae) and the new CAP hasn't had time to get to altitude.

Staggerwing

I recall trying that game a few years back. I tried twice to get a game going but each time my opponent bailed on me after a few turns.

BTW, SDR, are you any relation to Danny or Crispin?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys