Falling Frontier - upcoming space RTS

Started by Millipede, February 15, 2021, 01:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 29, 2023, 08:22:06 PM2025!?!?!

It's strange that the company thought they were releasing in 2023 until recently, how can they have thought that was possible and then turn around and say they are a year or so away?  Seems like they would have known that for some time...kind of company that I am not sure I would trust. I understand the person had health issues which I understand, but seems like that was not just sudden,

HoodedHorseJoe

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 29, 2023, 08:39:45 PM

It's strange that the company thought they were releasing in 2023 until recently, how can they have thought that was possible and then turn around and say they are a year or so away?  Seems like they would have known that for some time...kind of company that I am not sure I would trust. I understand the person had health issues which I understand, but seems like that was not just sudden,

Your concerns assume we'd be able to share something the instant we knew there may be a problem, when in fact it's a very lengthy process to determine if there is a problem, determine how long it may take for the problem to resolve itself, what that means for development, and then what we should ultimately do about it based on what the developer's needs and expectations are. In this case, it wasn't a simple matter of just giving him a few more months or just rolling things over to 2024.

Moving the date to 2025 gives the dev plenty of time to recover, and then get back on track and work at a pace that's good for both him and the project. And while this was being discussed, there was no point changing the message or the Steam page.

So no, it wasn't just sudden, but we shared the moment we had something definitive to share. 
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: HoodedHorseJoe on November 30, 2023, 05:16:51 AM

Your concerns assume we'd be able to share something the instant we knew there may be a problem, when in fact it's a very lengthy process to determine if there is a problem, determine how long it may take for the problem to resolve itself, what that means for development, and then what we should ultimately do about it based on what the developer's needs and expectations are. In this case, it wasn't a simple matter of just giving him a few more months or just rolling things over to 2024.

Moving the date to 2025 gives the dev plenty of time to recover, and then get back on track and work at a pace that's good for both him and the project. And while this was being discussed, there was no point changing the message or the Steam page.

So no, it wasn't just sudden, but we shared the moment we had something definitive to share. 

That actually was the point of my comment, I didn't think it was sudden, I speculated it was known that 2023 wasn't going to happen behind the scenes, and future customers were under the impression the release was closer than it was, certainly not expecting to hear 2025, which can mean anywhere from 1-2 years depending on when in 2025.  And yes I understand you had to finalize things before going public but unless I am reading people's comments wrong, which I could be, seems like people imply information that had been coming out recently did nothing to provide any hints so can understand the surprise.

With that said, my comment about trust is more about whether this will be the last delay or will eventually get released, only time will tell as nobody can predict the future 1-2 years away.  Certainly wish the developer good health and hope he is able to release his game someday.

CaptainKoloth

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 30, 2023, 06:09:22 AM
Quote from: HoodedHorseJoe on November 30, 2023, 05:16:51 AM

That actually was the point of my comment, I didn't think it was sudden, I speculated it was known that 2023 wasn't going to happen behind the scenes, and future customers were under the impression the release was closer than it was, certainly not expecting to hear 2025, which can mean anywhere from 1-2 years depending on when in 2025.  And yes I understand you had to finalize things before going public but unless I am reading people's comments wrong, which I could be, seems like people imply information that had been coming out recently did nothing to provide any hints so can understand the surprise.

With that said, my comment about trust is more about whether this will be the last delay or will eventually get released, only time will tell as nobody can predict the future 1-2 years away.  Certainly wish the developer good health and hope he is able to release his game someday.

I fully agree, when a game is originally advertised as being slated for early access in 2021, and then two and a half years later it's announced suddenly that there's an additional two year delay, it raises real questions with regard to transparency and realism at the very least. I'm hard pressed to think of many games with serial multi-year delays like this that have turned out well, or even released (examples: In The Black, All American: The 82nd Airborne in Normandy, The Tactical Art of Combat).

Sparhawk

I've had Falling Frontier on my Steam wish list for some time now. Though it's disappointing to know that I'll have to continue waiting, I tend to be gracious toward small developers concerning timelines. Just now looking at my wish list I realize that Hooded Horse is publishing many of the games in my library and on my wish list, who I appreciate for backing the type of games I buy and play.