Falling Frontier - upcoming space RTS

Started by Millipede, February 15, 2021, 01:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

Quote from: Phantom on February 16, 2021, 02:57:07 PM
I'm currently playing High Frontier - a board game based on hard science - take a look at the map for it - https://boardgamegeek.com/image/2585121/high-frontier-third-edition a 2d representation of the solar system with "distances" shown by a mix of orbits/energy required to get there - a work of art (or science) by a real rocket scientist. What I guess I'm saying is that this stuff can be abstracted to a large degree whilst still remaining realistic, at least in game terms.
I'll be following this one.

Another HF player here! Excellent game!
I have no comments on the actual topic, sorry.  ;D
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

bobarossa

HoodedHorseJoe

I'm also very much looking forward to this one. Been in touch with the devs about it.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

Phantom

Quote from: bobarossa on February 16, 2021, 10:24:02 PM
Quote from: hellfish6 on February 16, 2021, 07:04:50 PM
Quote from: Phantom on February 16, 2021, 02:57:07 PMtake a look at the map for it - https://boardgamegeek.com/image/2585121/high-frontier-third-edition

Holy mother of god...
That map must have all 150 million of those rocks in the asteroid belt on it.

The map is a peach, but what is most impressive is how it works, somehow the designer - Phil Eklund - has managed to combine a 3 dimensional system of orbits & gravity, by definition in constant movement, into a 2d static map that actually reflects that complex environment. Its really clever stuff, in fact, rocket science! Believe it or not once you've got the mechanics worked out its quite easy to use.
I love smart design in games, making the complex simple, and this is a great example.

FarAway Sooner

Regarding the asteroid belt:  Maybe we should just call it 'crunchy sci-fi' rather than hard sci-fi?  Because, you know, it's hard in places...

Jarhead0331

HOODED HORSE TO PUBLISH FALLING FRONTIER, RELEASE DELAYED TO LATE 2021

DALLAS – 27th April 2021 – Hooded Horse™ announced it will publish Falling Frontier™, a sci-fi RTS title developed by Stutter Fox Studios™. Falling Frontier was previously scheduled for a June 2021 Early Access release but has been delayed until late 2021 to allow additional development time to fully realize Falling Frontier's potential. In addition to English, Falling Frontier will now also release in German, French, Spanish, Japanese, Traditional Chinese, and Simplified Chinese.

"Falling Frontier is the future of the RTS genre," said Tim Bender, CEO of Hooded Horse. "There has been increasing interest in a revival of RTS games these past several years, with several companies attempting to recapture the magic of those early titles of the 1990s and 2000s. But Falling Frontier is instead looking forward—to everything that the RTS genre could become. Intel, logistics—the kinds of depth usually associated with the 4x or grand strategy genres—are seamlessly integrated as core gameplay mechanics, while still retaining the excitement and charm of the classic RTS experience."

In Falling Frontier players will explore a vast procedurally generated star system filled with planets, moons, asteroid fields, and nebulae. The game includes a detailed intel system, complete with recon stations, scout ships, and probes, which all are influenced by planetary bodies and stellar phenomena and present trade-offs in the choice between active and passive scanning modes.

There is also no global resource system, and instead all raw materials and supplies must be delivered where needed. The logistics system extends to resupply of combat ships, and a strike force that neglects to protect its supply lines or is cut off in enemy territory may find itself without adequate ammunition for defense or fuel to escape, or, at the extreme, with a crew slowly starving in the void of space.

"We are thrilled by what this new collaboration means for Falling Frontier," said Todd D'Arcy, founder of Stutter Fox Studios. "Hooded Horse's focus on strategy games makes it an ideal partner for our studio, and the additional development time will allow Falling Frontier's Early Access release to live up to its full promise of offering players a distinctly new kind of RTS experience. For example, in order to step outside the standard RTS formula of chasing numerical advantage, we are modelling the strategic terrain of a realistic star system. Players can attempt to hide their ships behind a planet or moon, mask their heat signature near a gas giant or star, or launch an ambush from within an asteroid field or nebula."

To celebrate the announcement, Stutter Fox Studios has released a new Falling Frontier trailer showcasing the game's nebulae. These beautiful stellar phenomena both disrupt scanning technology and render jump drives inoperable, presenting the ideal terrain for laying an ambush. The new trailer also features an in-game cinematic reveal of the new battlecruiser dropping out of a jump conduit and deploying a pair of fighter craft.

Falling Frontier will release in late 2021 for PC and is available to be wishlisted on Steam.

About Falling Frontier™:

Falling Frontier is a sci-fi real-time strategy game developed by Stutter Fox Studios and published by Hooded Horse. Players explore and conquer a vast procedurally generated star system where intel and logistics are decisive factors. Falling Frontier is set for a late 2021 release on PC and can be found on Steam.

About Stutter Fox Studios™:

Stutter Fox Studios is a Melbourne, Australia development studio devoted to creating innovative strategy games. Stutter Fox Studios is currently developing the real-time strategy game Falling Frontier.

About Hooded Horse™:

Hooded Horse Inc. is a publisher of strategy, simulation, and role-playing games based in Dallas, Texas. Hooded Horse is the publisher of Terra Invicta, developed by the Long War mod creators Pavonis Interactive; Alliance of the Sacred Suns, developed by KatHawk Studios; and Falling Frontier, developed by Stutter Fox Studios.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Philippe

Just took a quick look at the Falling Frontier page on Steam.  Two things jumped out at me.

Lots of eye candy, but the map is in two dimensions.  Solar systems can be fairly flat, but I would expect a few odd-ball planets and asteroids that orbit on a different plane.

The orbital path for each planet seems to be marked out, and is perfectly circular.  Do all of these planets only have one season ?

Do the planets and moons in that game actually orbit anything, or are they a completely static conceptual representation?  I asked the question in the Steam forum and don't really expect to get a reply. 

One of the things that makes space combat interesting is that everything moves and shifts relative positions, albeit slowly.  I remember a game from the bad old days of the eighties that involved moving around in and exploring a single star system, and because of differing orbits and speeds, sometimes two planets would be close together and sometimes they would be far apart.  And sometimes the quickest path between two planets would involve taking off and going away from your destination planet, and catching up with it as it moved towards you coming around the sun.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Jarhead0331

12-minute gameplay reveal from the campaign.

Looks very cool.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Father Ted

Quote from: Philippe on April 27, 2021, 12:46:02 PM

The orbital path for each planet seems to be marked out, and is perfectly circular.  Do all of these planets only have one season ?

As I understand it seasons are a result of the tilting of a planet's axis of rotation relative to its orbital path rather than the eccentricity of the orbit.

Grim.Reaper

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd