Campaign Series Vietnam

Started by Grim.Reaper, May 15, 2021, 05:07:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Quick overview video....looking forward to this one later in the year.

MOS:96B2P

Sounds interesting.  From what I can tell it sounds like individual battles (scenarios).  I wonder if there is an actual campaign?  If you could start in 1965 with the American intervention (or wherever the players interest is) and fight linked scenarios (campaign) this might be really cool. 

I think a Vietnam campaign was created for the Operational Art of War but I've not got around to downloading and playing it.  Maybe something I should do while keeping an eye on this one.     

I found the below information on Matrix.

Campaign Series Vietnam introduces a wide variety of new units with special capabilities, such as helicopters, riverine units, tunnel rats, civilians, and supply units. New tactical realities include flight limitations, no-go zones, IEDs and hidden minefields, tunnels, and unconventional warfare.

JasonPratt

The original version of the Campaign Series did include historical and dynamic campaigns, but I'm fuzzy about whether the new series has done so in its first game (set during the modern Israeli-Arab wars).

I think Groghead member Crossroads is a dev working on the series, so he should be around soon to provide details.  :notworthy:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jarhead0331

Would seem kind of silly if a game called "Campaign Series Vietnam" didn't ship with an actual campaign. If that is the case, perhaps the name should be changed to "Scenario Series Vietnam"?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

W8taminute

I'm looking forward to this game as well.  I do hope it comes with a campaign.  What I really want is a digitized version of this but with an Ai not a Vassal mod.

https://www.gmtgames.com/p-911-vietnam-1965-1975-gmt-edition.aspx

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Jason Petho

Until we rebuild the Campaign system (it is effectively broken at the moment), which is coming later, we will be offering "A Week In..." series of scenarios in lieu of the traditional campaigns.

"A Week In..." style of scenarios will have you commanding a brigade sized unit during a week, (350 turns - 7 days), where you will be given daily tasks that need to be completed.

For example, "A Week In The Mekong" focuses on the Riverine unit based at My Tho and might look something like this:

Day 1:
   Welcome to My Tho
   3rd/47th at My Tho
   4th/47th at Riverine base
   3rd/60th at Riverine base
Day 1 Missions:
3rd/60th Company x 1 advance towards Tan Hiep airfield, secures it for future helicopter operations, remaining at My Tho – will remain here overnight (Relieved Day 2 by elements 7th ARVN)
3rd/47th secures area directly north of riverine base – between canal, QL4, My Tho – ordered to return to base
   4th/47th secures Tho Son island (south of base) – ordered to return to base

Day 2
   3rd/47th at My Tho
   4th/47th at Riverine base
   3rd/60th at Riverine base
Day 2 Missions
   3rd/60th Company x 1 returns to My Tho

3rd/60th remainder securing My Tho and Riverine Base (can rescue Company x 1)
      Company x 1 with Engineers road clearing QL4 to Khiem Ich (Cai Lay – 40,75)

3rd/47th & 4th/47th sweep east "island" and town of Ap Tan Thuong – Returns to base after mission.

and so on.
Campaign Series Middle East 1948-1985 : v3.00 coming 2024

Campaign Series Vietnam 1948-1967 : v1.30 released April 26, 2023

Campaign Series Cold War 1948-1985 : v1.00 coming 202?

hellfish6

devoncop

Quote from: hellfish6 on May 21, 2021, 11:50:42 AM
I really like that idea.

Me too ( to coin a much misused phrase😉)

It gives the player great attachment to their command in such a mini campaign and increases immersion hugely.

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

demjansk1942

What's broken?.....  some issue with code?  I was looking forward to the game

Jason Petho

Yes, the Campaign code is broken at the moment, it will be fixed, just not in time for the CSVN 1.00 to be released.

demjansk1942

Thanks Jason hope you get it working to your satisfaction

Jason Petho

Yes, most definitely, it will be redone - since we have the opportunity to do so, to make it far more interesting.

There will still be ample content to play with CSVN 1.00 and, as always, it comes with the full suite of editors to make your own scenarios.

berto

Little known fact:  John Tiller did not code the campaign front-end (and scenario launcher, etc.) to the Campaign Series.  John wrote the core game engine and editors.  The campaign EXE was written by an unheralded, long forgotten Talonsoft programmer.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

JasonPratt

Quote from: Jason Petho on May 21, 2021, 10:33:41 AM
"A Week In..." style of scenarios will have you commanding a brigade sized unit during a week, (350 turns - 7 days), where you will be given daily tasks that need to be completed.

ACCEPTABLE!!  :D :D :D :D :smitten:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jason Petho

Glad to hear you like the idea!

I'll make sure to make it fun and interesting!