Did MP ruin your SP vs AI experience?

Started by Tanaka, January 20, 2022, 09:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tanaka

Has anyone else experienced this? I discovered this past year when I decided to play the first PBEM games of my life playing Strategic Command WW1/WAW and then finally WITP Admirals Edition that MP is all I want to play now. It is so much fun playing another human with all of the challenges and surprises that give me such a rush and a high that whenever I fire up any other game to play against the AI my eyes just glaze over with boredom and I quit. Single player just feels so lifeless now. I don't know if I will ever be able to go back to playing SP games again. Has this happened to anyone else? Should I enter rehab? Asking for a friend...

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

MengJiao

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 20, 2022, 09:39:10 PM
No. People suck.

After decades of being beaten by most human opponents, I find the AI to be a refreshing change as a rule.

Gusington

Sorry but if I could replace most people I know in real life with AI, I would.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I sometimes sit and wonder if I am really the AI and the AI is playing me.  :o  Except if I am the AI, then the AI really sucks at a lot of these games.  :coolsmiley:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

devoncop

Quote from: Gusington on January 20, 2022, 10:30:22 PM
Sorry but if I could replace most people I know in real life with AI, I would.

O0

Nailed it as usual Gus (and Jarhead)

We are a misanthropic bunch on here aren't we  :)

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Crossroads

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 20, 2022, 10:52:29 PM
I sometimes sit and wonder if I am really the AI and the AI is playing me.  :o  Except if I am the AI, then the AI really sucks at a lot of these games.  :coolsmiley:

There are limits to what AI can do, you know? Or maybe, that's AI having a Cunning Plan, keeping us happy within our own ignorance. Or is that the AI, running circles around us, too? You are into something nefarious here!  :wow:
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Pete Dero

With the giant steps games took in the graphics department I don't see the same amount of improvement on the AI front.

But I don't see much improvement with the people around me either  >:D.

devoncop

Quote from: Pete Dero on January 21, 2022, 04:07:19 AM
With the giant steps games took in the graphics department I don't see the same amount of improvement on the AI front.

At least the AI is moving forwards rather than regressing. If only humanity could say the same....
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Pete Dero

Quote from: devoncop on January 21, 2022, 04:46:56 AM

At least the AI is moving forwards rather than regressing. If only humanity could say the same....

There are still good people around.   I met one 10 years ago.

MengJiao

When I got better glasses, I found the graphics had improved even in reality itself.  The weirdest case was this garden gnome thing that puzzled me for years.  With improved bifocals it turned out to be
the exposed, gnarled root of a tree.  What an aesthetic revelation!

W8taminute

My dos centavos,

Playing against randoms is, overall, kind of ok.  Most of the random people I've come against in MP games seem to be ok.  There seems to be less jerk-clowns than there was back in the early days of MP gaming.  But I think it's because of the type of games I play against others that dictates this shaky civility. 

Playing against people you know is really fun however.  Even when I get crushed by a friend in a game I'm ok with it because I know the guy who beat me is a nice guy in real life.  Not sure if I'm making sense to anyone.

The only problem I have with playing games with real people online is because, and rather selfishly I must admit, I'd rather play games by myself due to time constraints.  Playing alone for me is one of the few ways I decompress after a stressful workday.  Once I calm down, I'm good for playing against/with other humans.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

Pete Dero is my spirit animal with his last 2-3 posts in this thread.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

solops

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 20, 2022, 09:39:10 PM
No. People suck.
+1
Some good games have been ruined by trash AI. MP is clunky and I want to play on my own schedule. MP can be really good though. As said elsewhere, AI has not been pushed as it could have been. And games need to be designed with the AI in mind. It simply cannot handle the bells and whistles many games offer. SSG was the best at AI and design coordination. This was a bit rambling....an AI made me do it!
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin