Recommend a Base Building \ Survival Game

Started by matt3916, March 13, 2023, 10:41:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-budd-

One game I didn't see mentioned is Project Zomboid, game will kick your ass. It's not a question if your going to die, you will, but how long can you put death off is the challenge. It's a must have survival game in my opinion. Just got a graphics upgrade a few months ago, so looks better. Like 7 days to Die it's in early access and has been for a long time, but completely playable. Plenty of settings and workshop support also. Longest I've survived is 28 days, can you do better  :grin:  usually I get greedy about looting.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: -budd- on March 18, 2023, 04:16:46 PMOne game I didn't see mentioned is Project Zomboid, game will kick your ass. It's not a question if your going to die, you will, but how long can you put death off is the challenge. It's a must have survival game in my opinion. Just got a graphics upgrade a few months ago, so looks better. Like 7 days to Die it's in early access and has been for a long time, but completely playable. Plenty of settings and workshop support also. Longest I've survived is 28 days, can you do better  :grin:  usually I get greedy about looting.

Word. 'tis a sweet game indeed.

Millipede

Anno 1800 is free to play on either Epic or Ubisoft Connect until 3/23.

Father Ted

Quote from: -budd- on March 18, 2023, 04:16:46 PMOne game I didn't see mentioned is Project Zomboid, game will kick your ass. It's not a question if your going to die, you will, but how long can you put death off is the challenge. It's a must have survival game in my opinion. Just got a graphics upgrade a few months ago, so looks better. Like 7 days to Die it's in early access and has been for a long time, but completely playable. Plenty of settings and workshop support also. Longest I've survived is 28 days, can you do better  :grin:  usually I get greedy about looting.

LOL I survive about 28 minutes - my avatar stands there getting munched while I feverishly fail to interact with the action menu

JasonPratt

Heh, 28 days later...

Dangit, I meant to post up Steam-sale examples of top-down survival/builder games like Banished but with more polish, over the weekend! I blame taxes.

Part of the problem is that while I own quite a few (and demos of more), I don't really play them much.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Okay, Steam has set up a handy page for plenty of Banished-like survival-settlement games:

ttps://store.steampowered.com/category/strategy_cities_settlements

You'll get a lot of things that don't really fit your criteria, but if you scroll down a little to the main tab set, you can select for City Builder and Colony Sim tabs. Which will also include some things you aren't looking for, but more of what you are.

Scrolling down farther will bring you to some other categories like Sandbox. And last is the main search function which will allow you to dial in genres and subgenres along with whether demos are available, early access, average rating, etc.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Ian C

State of Decay 2. I'm not a big fan of zombie games but I do enjoy this one. Close to 'The Walking Dead'.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/495420/State_of_Decay_2_Juggernaut_Edition/

greengiant

Games I own and enjoy:

1: 7 Days to Die - A first person zombie craft/survival game. Fantastic world gen options, and many ways to tweak it to make it more challenging once you get to grips with the mechanics. Also hella fun with a buddy.

2: Don' Starve - a top down 2d craft survival game with a very unique take on the genre (graphics and controls) with the caveat that this game is suffering personified until you learn some of the more essential survival tricks.

3: Dwarf Fortress - a top down 2d game and with its recent transition to retail and an actual functional gui you can't go wrong. It still has a huge learning curve and makes your spare time magically disappear once you get into it and being to understand the mechanics and level of control you have.

4: Factorio - another top down survival craft game all about trying to get off a planet that doesn't want you there. It has a strong focus on automation and designing efficient factory lines to the point that it becomes ridiculously addictive (there is a reason it's known as Cracktorio).

5: The Forest - same as 7 days except the world is fixed, not genned. This down side comes with a big up side; a far more focused narrative, a beautiful island to explore and moments that will make you fall out of your chair in terror.

6: Kenshi - a third person craft survival RPG hybrid that is really, really weird and funny. You can join factions, create factions, become enslaved, start settlements, raid settlements, make faction enemies and allies, fight really weird monsters, lose appendage, replace appendages and more. It's weird in a great way, but it does take a considerable amount of time to really figure out.

7: Reassembly - a top down space survival game. Start your own faction, design ships and space stations, scrap obsolete ships and space stations, getting into huge fleet battles and try to dominate the map before moving onto the next. The unique parts available to each faction and the ease of  using the ship designer really sold it for me.

8: Subnautica - a first person craft/survival game set on a planet almost completely ocean based. Beautiful, serene, and a great narrative to boot, you really can't go wrong with this one. This is my go-to to help me unwind after a hectic day at work.

9: This War of Mine - a plat-former survival rpg hybrid. You control a growing number of civilians trapped in a city currently at war. Each night you need to choose a member to go out and raid for supplies while maintaining enough defenses back home to keep everyone alive, or enough heat to prevent them from freezing, or enough meds to stop them dying from illness etc etc. You'll have to make some really hard choices, like turning a starving kid away because you know you just can't take care of them properly without your currently party suffering badly because of it. If you wan't a tiny idea of what it must be like to be a Ukrainian citizen in the current war, this is the game. Just be prepared for heart breaking moments.

There are more, and a few have already been mentioned here (yeah I know I also +1 a few recommendations) but these are a good start for your consideration.

jamus34

Oh I also forgot Satisfactory which is a basically a 3d Factorio.

Insert witty comment here.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: greengiant on March 22, 2023, 03:51:44 AMGames I own and enjoy:
There are more, and a few have already been mentioned here (yeah I know I also +1 a few recommendations) but these are a good start for your consideration.

Some great recommendations. +1 on all of them.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

AgentSmith

I have recently picked Terraformers, especially since it just released the 1.0 version. You have to terraform Mars / build a colony on the planet. It also has roguelike elements and one playthrough takes about an hour and a half or maybe two hours. There are various goals to achieve too. It is a fun game.

The other I could recommend is called Kingdoms Reborn and it is more like Banished in style but there is a twist. Buildings are placed via cards. Every turn you get a set of cards, pick one (or sometimes more) and place them or keep them in hand waiting for a better opportunity.

NickGross

If you enjoyed Frostpunk, you should check out This War of Mine - another gritty, emotional game that puts you amid survival in a harsh environment. As for the games you're specifically interested in, Banished is an excellent choice for a more relaxed, slow-paced experience, while Oxygen Not Included and Rimworld offer more complex gameplay with lots of different mechanics to master. You can even find great game accessories to enhance your gameplay at igitems.com. This way, you can diversify and raise your gameplay to a new level. Happy gaming!

DesertFox

One that I've only seen briefly mentioned by greengiant that I want to vouch for is Subnautica.  I've just recently started playing this on the PS5 and it is one of the most beautiful (and terrifying) games I've ever played.  It's available on almost every platform and I highly recommend it.
"Information, the first principle of warfare, must form the foundation of all your efforts. Know, of course, thine enemy. But in knowing him do not forget above all to know thyself. The commander who embraces this totality of battle shall win, even with the inferior force."
-- Spartan Battle Manual