Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Today I discovered Task and Purpose (whom I've linked for a few articles in the past), has a YT channel!

(It is of course entirely possible that others have been posting vids from them upthread and I missed it)

So here's an ep from a few days ago on Russia's weird ongoing armor 'doctrine' (for want of a better word). Though it's really more about a focus on why Vuhledar is so important for both sides, as a basis for illustrating Russia's group teamwork problems.

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

The comment thread on that video is well worth thumbing through, too. For example:

QuoteHello, I'm from Poland and one of our retired colonels who was trained in Soviet drill has a theory. The general in charge of this front was ordered to attack Wuhledar. What could he do? three things. Make a wide-ranging attack with the majority of his forces. Maybe he would take the city, maybe not. And then  he would lose a large part of his own strength and be dismissed for it. The second way out is modest offensive and reconnaissance activities. He would have spared his forces, but the general staff would have considered that he had not carried out the attack, that he had broken orders = resignation. Two bad exits. So instead the general attacks with a small part of his force to be able to report that he is attacking, and the HQ can confirm this by seeing that he is taking casualties. The general is promoted for exemplary execution of orders.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

GDS_Starfury

so strange that Red Storm Rising or Hacketts WW3 would become worst case scenarios.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

DetCord

Me and the boys got back in November. Some of us that is.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: DetCord on March 17, 2023, 12:27:23 AMMe and the boys got back in November. Some of us that is.

Welcome home, DetCord. I'm sorry for your losses. As you very well know, it is the ugly universal truth of war.  When you feel up to it and ready, I encourage you to share your experiences with the group. Your direct, first hand experience will be very valuable for us all.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Tripoli

Quote from: DetCord on March 17, 2023, 12:27:23 AMMe and the boys got back in November. Some of us that is.
Welcome home.  I'm glad you are back.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

JasonPratt

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 17, 2023, 06:45:19 AM

Welcome home, DetCord. I'm sorry for your losses. As you very well know, it is the ugly universal truth of war.  When you feel up to it and ready, I encourage you to share your experiences with the group. Your direct, first hand experience will be very valuable for us all.

Hear hear!

W8taminute

Good to have you back DetCord.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Groggy

Welcome home. Thank you for helping defend liberal democracy against authoritarianism. Big respect.
Do you have any plans to write about your experiences in Ukraine?
''War is the unfolding of miscalculations.''-Barbara Tuchman

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Groggy on March 17, 2023, 11:37:43 AM

Welcome home. Thank you for helping defend liberal democracy against authoritarianism. Big respect.
Do you have any plans to write about your experiences in Ukraine?

Is Ukraine a "liberal democracy"? Asking for a friend.  :juggler:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Groggy

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 17, 2023, 01:07:08 PMIs Ukraine a "liberal democracy"? Asking for a friend.  :juggler:

What a shame your friend fails to understand that Ukraine is bleeding on behalf of liberal democracy.
''War is the unfolding of miscalculations.''-Barbara Tuchman

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Groggy on March 17, 2023, 01:34:29 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 17, 2023, 01:07:08 PMIs Ukraine a "liberal democracy"? Asking for a friend.  :juggler:

What a shame your friend fails to understand that Ukraine is bleeding on behalf of liberal democracy.

I mean, I'll tell him of his failure, but it was a serious question.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Framing the war as one of 'democracy versus authoritarianism' is a tactic used by the US and Europe to raise the stakes of the war and to generate political and moral support. However, in my friend's view, regarding the war in Ukraine as a battle between democracy and authoritarianism is misleading, misguided and somewhat naive. In truth, Ukrainian blood is more probably being spilled to preserve the post-WWII international legal order. Whether one thinks this is actually good for democracy or not, I suppose, is subjective. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

MengJiao

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 17, 2023, 02:10:35 PMFraming the war as one of 'democracy versus authoritarianism' is a tactic used by the US and Europe to raise the stakes of the war and to generate political and moral support. However, in my friend's view, regarding the war in Ukraine as a battle between democracy and authoritarianism is misleading, misguided and somewhat naive. In truth, Ukrainian blood is more probably being spilled to preserve the post-WWII international legal order. Whether one thinks this is actually good for democracy or not, I suppose, is subjective. 

Aren't there lots of different ways to parse motivations in this war (or probably any war)? Some Ukrainians may be fighting for nationalistic or other ideological reasons that don't have much to do with more general concepts like liberal democracy.  Overall the Ukrainians might be fighting to preserve Ukraine (as a set of communities).  Some might be fighting because they are angry and aggrieved and want revenge.
Then there are many other motivations -- to deter Russia from pushing to control more territory for example...or indeed to
uphold the implied post-WWII standards that strongly discourage attacking neighboring sovereign entities except in self-defense (which the Russians keep bringing up as if the assault on Ukraine didn't look like...well a massive attack on a sovereign entity).
Defending liberal democracy probably isn't a primary motivation -- I think it's more the integrity of sovereign territories that causes the defensive reflex in the West.  The sequential take-overs of Austria, Czechoslovakia, Poland and so on by Germany, and swathes of Finland, Moldavia and Poland by Russia at the beginning of WWII that provides the basic fear that drives the West, maybe even unconsciously