Is there an electrician in the house?

Started by Toonces, November 22, 2021, 05:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

Ok, so I've been Googling this for a while and for some reason I am stumped to figure this out!

I'm trying to determine how long it will take to charge the battery on my electric bike with a solar panel.  Details are as follows:

Lithium-ion battery
48V
14Ah

Solar panel:
68W
Cell efficiency: 23%
22V
3.09A

The solar panel would be charging a power station; the battery would be plugged into the power station to charge.

I don't know why this is so challenging for me to figure out, but there it is.   :-[
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

GDS_Starfury

what if you just used your legs to power the bike?   :bd:
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

al_infierno

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

bobarossa

Quote from: Toonces on November 22, 2021, 05:39:17 PM
Ok, so I've been Googling this for a while and for some reason I am stumped to figure this out!

I'm trying to determine how long it will take to charge the battery on my electric bike with a solar panel.  Details are as follows:

Lithium-ion battery
48V
14Ah

Solar panel:
68W
Cell efficiency: 23%
22V
3.09A

The solar panel would be charging a power station; the battery would be plugged into the power station to charge.

I don't know why this is so challenging for me to figure out, but there it is.   :-[
Retired electrical engineer here.  I'll give it a try. 
Ideal system:
Battery: 48V x 14A-hrs = 672 W-hrs

Solar panel: 22V x 3.1A = 68.2 W

Perfect charger: 672 / 68.2 = 9.85 hrs

Now the real world. 
1. Given the length of time the sun will move considerably over the sky reducing the solar panel output.  Also, clouds will reduce the solar panel output.  (Here in Ohio by a considerable amount, I see you're in San Diego so not much at all for you) 
2.  There are inefficiencies in charging the power station.  Usually about 80 to 95% efficient. So let's increase charging time by about 10%
3.  These same inefficiencies will slow down the charging of the bike battery.  Another 10% added.

Counting 2&3, you're up to about 12 hours.  #1 will add way more unless you put the panel on a swivel that follows the sun.  I'm guessing 2 full days.

Disclaimer: age and dementia could mean I'm way off on this.

Sir Slash

Would the army of hamsters be charging the battery or pulling the bike? Cause I'd probably pay good coin to see the latter.  <:-)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MikeGER

Quote from: bobarossa on November 23, 2021, 11:23:39 AM

Disclaimer: age and dementia could mean I'm way off on this.

your calculation is correct and adpation to real world estimations is top notch O0
I am a physicist (think more of a Leonard then a Sheldon so ^-^)

Toonces, two bright sunny! San Diego days ...  if its clowdy or overcast possibly a week, when your lucky 
(the elctronics involved may have a shutdown trigger and dont accept a rinse of current, so a overcast day could be zero charge
even so the module is tagging along with 5W output by the book)

Toonces

Perfect guys, thanks!  That is exactly the info I needed.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs