Should you buy a standing desk?

Started by JudyGarland, June 12, 2022, 10:14:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudyGarland

If your job requires you to sit at a desk all day, you should consider investing in adjustable desk. Why? On the one hand, sitting for long periods of time is unhealthy. We explore the advantages and disadvantages to help you better understand the risks.

What is a standing desk?
An adjustable standing desk enhances your entire workspace, allowing you to work comfortably while standing. These desks can easily accommodate your computer, monitor, lamp and other desk accessories without risk of tipping over or falling, and your entire work experience will remain the same, you just need to spend more time standing.

There are also several different types of standing desks out there, like height-adjustable sit-stand desks and risers (we'll discuss the differences below), so you should easily find an option that suits your style and needs.

Who should use a stand up desk?
Of course, anyone interested in using stand up desks can (and probably should) buy it. However, standing working is especially recommended for those who spend most of the day at their desks, and those who are primarily sedentary, especially outside or outside of working hours Monday through Friday.

Having an adjustable stand up desk, or even a small standing desk, can make it easier to do more activities throughout the day. Of course, if you're going for a hybrid desk that allows you to alternate between sitting and standing, you should also help yourself by choosing a top-of-the-line office chair to ensure your spine, back and neck are getting take care of.

Pros and cons of electric standing desk
So now that we know that electric adjustable desk are an option, we need to consider their pros and cons. Of course, while we can discuss these and make recommendations one way or another, the final decision is ultimately up to you (and your needs and budget).

Advantage of adjustable desk
The main benefit of using a height adjustable desk is that it helps reduce your likelihood of serious health problems. Studies have linked prolonged sitting to obesity, cardiovascular disease, certain cancers, shoulder pain, back pain, diabetes, premature death, and other health problems. Humans are born to stand up and walk, and spending eight or more hours a day sitting down isn't great for our bodies. Working at a standing desk every day greatly reduces the likelihood of these problems,but the benefits don't stop there!

A standing desk is also great for helping you burn more calories throughout the day. Even small movements like shifting your weight between your feet, fidgeting, and walking around can help you burn more calories than if you were just sitting there. You'll also strengthen (and possibly even tone) your leg and back muscles, which can also lead to better posture. Desk that moves up and down are also associated with up to 45% higher productivity. Users may also have better heart rates, energy levels, and overall mood compared to people who only sit.

Switching from sitting to standing while working at a desk is an easy change to make. By making this change, you'll reap some undeniably significant benefits for your physical and mental health, and even your overall well-being. Who can refuse?

Shortcoming of standing desk with drawers
Arguably the biggest disadvantage of a standing desk with drawer is the cost. Regular desks are only around $100-$200, while adjustable desk with drawers can cost twice as much. Despite all the benefits that standing desks offer, such high prices can make them difficult to justify if they are beyond your budget.

Because these desks are often full of moving mechanical parts, they are always at risk of damage. Even though the best standing desks are backed by a manufacturer's warranty, if your desk breaks and needs to be sent in for repair, you could still be without a desk for a few weeks.

Another concern is that standing and walking all day is not necessarily a good idea. Studies have found that standing for long periods of time can lead to another set of health problems, such as clogged arteries, back pain and varicose veins. But that's why sit-stand desks exist.

Frequently asked questions about standing gaming desk
1. What is the English of the stand up desk? What keywords can you search for?
Generally called: Standing Desk, Height Adjustable Desk can also be found.

2. What height should you choose for a desk that is more suitable for you?
This has been mentioned in detail before, but let me say another key point: if the height is not more than 1.8 meters, the maximum adjustment height is about 48 inches. If the height is more than 1.8 meters, it is best to choose the maximum adjustment degree higher than 48 inches, such as: 51-52 inches.

3. What are the main types of standing desk?
According to the lifting method, it is mainly divided into manual lifting table and electric lifting table. Types are divided into: independent desk type, lift table placed on the table, ultra-light and portable bracket (mainly for notebook computers).

4. What are the main considerations when buying a standing table?
In short, summarize the main factors to consider: table and size, adjustable height range, own type (electric / manual), warranty time. In fact, you can consider more popular and popular brands and styles. (The above explains in detail how to choose a lift table)

5.Is standing at your desk healthy?
Standing at your desk is a great way to prevent long periods of being sedentary;which isn't healthy. Experts recommend mixing standing with sitting, changing positions throughout the day.

6.Where can you buy a corner standing desk?
standing corner desks are rarely available in retail stores. The best place to search for them is online through companies that specialize in standing desks.

The above is the adjustable table summarized for everyone, which can better improve cervical, lumbar and back pain caused by long-term bowing work. Of course, the adjustable height desk is only an auxiliary item, and everyone still needs to exercise regularly at home! In this way, you can combine work and rest, move your muscles and bones, and work more efficiently!

GDS_Starfury

Ive got a Husky adjustable work table as a desk and its great.
the height is manually adjusted but its super easy and no motors or electronic things to break.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Dammit Carl!

Not disagreeing with the topic, but man, is this some left-field shit or what?

GDS_Starfury

nah, for gaming its almost a must.
flight simming is more comfortable at a lower height as opposed to fps or strategy game which is better at a different height.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Sigwolf

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on June 12, 2022, 08:44:22 PM
nah, for gaming its almost a must.
flight simming is more comfortable at a lower height as opposed to fps or strategy game which is better at a different height.
It's pretty far left field, and suspicious, coming as an encyclopedic first post from a new user, almost like an infomercial bot, eh?

al_infierno

Pretty clearly a bot, but I banned them before they added a spammy link, so now they just gave us all a great deal of information on how to buy the optimal standing desk for no personal gain whatsoever!   >:D
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

GDS_Starfury

I was going to say that there was no spammy link in the post.

GDS_Starfury

I highly recommend the Husky desk I got.

al_infierno

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on June 12, 2022, 11:26:23 PM
I highly recommend the Husky desk I got.

If the bot man works for Husky and not some random Chinese standing desk company, he did a fantastic job with this thread  :buck2:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

jamus34

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on June 12, 2022, 11:25:11 PM
I was going to say that there was no spammy link in the post.

New tactic. They post something that looks legit then a couple of days / weeks later edit the post with a spam link.
Insert witty comment here.

rickeyF3

When it was time to get serious about working from home, I realized that I needed to create a comfortable and functional workspace. After some thought and research, I decided to purchase a desk and chair to ensure my comfort and efficiency.The next step was to consider chairs. I was looking for something comfortable and matching the design of the new desk. After going through the chairs section of the same website, I found the perfect option - a chair that perfectly complemented the desk in style and color.

With certain choices in my head, I began to research reviews of the products and the store in general. I decided to make sure of the quality and reliability of Progressive Desk. It turned out that many customers left positive reviews about the products and service, which convinced me to place an order.

Ordering furniture online has always seemed a bit risky to me, as you can't directly evaluate the product in person before buying. But the reviews and detailed descriptions on the website convinced me that Progressive Desk products meet expectations.

After placing the order, all that was left was to wait for the delivery. I was pleasantly surprised when my new furniture arrived in a few days. The assembly did not cause any problems as all the parts were well packed and provided with detailed instructions.

When the desk and chair were finally assembled and installed in my home office, I felt satisfied with the work done. The desk met my expectations: the height adjustment allows me to switch between sitting and standing positions, which has a positive effect on my productivity and comfort.