Coldageddon 2024

Started by JasonPratt, January 08, 2024, 09:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelmsm

Was 10 when I got up here in Memphis this morning and we ended up with about 6 inches of snow.  Had to take the old dog to the emergency vet and I can say this was the only time I didn't have to complain about Memphis traffic

JasonPratt

One of the few times Memphis gets more snow than us!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Tripoli on January 15, 2024, 12:34:21 PMPretty much a typical January in Wisconsin.

do you ppl use cheese curds instead of salt on the roads?
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Tripoli

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 15, 2024, 11:06:42 PM
Quote from: Tripoli on January 15, 2024, 12:34:21 PMPretty much a typical January in Wisconsin.

do you ppl use cheese curds instead of salt on the roads?
They might as well.  To avoid damage to the lakes, they use a brine, which doesn't work (and in fairness, salt wouldn't work in these temperatures).  And they refuse to use sand.  So when temperatures drop below 10, you get an "ice slush" on city streets.  Its too cold to evaporate, except very slowly, fills the treads on your tires so they don't shed or channel the stuff, and creates a nice, slippery, semi-fluid barrier between your tires and the road.  You end up fishtailing at 15 mph, and some slight hills in town become difficult to navigate, especially if you get stopped at the red lights placed strategically near the crest of the hill.

With that said, no one in town is complaining, because the Packers beat the Cowboys on Sunday, so the weather is not even a major topic of conversation right now.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

GDS_Starfury

a team of dead grandma's could beat the Cowboys.  :evil:
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

^You mean like the Patriots?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Tripoli

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 16, 2024, 08:33:09 AMa team of dead grandma's could beat the Cowboys.  :evil:

And the Babylon Bee nicely ties together the completely divergent threads of the weather and Dallas Cowboys:
https://babylonbee.com/news/increased-precipitation-across-nation-revealed-to-be-cowboys-fans-tears

Increased Precipitation Across Nation Revealed To Be Cowboys Fans' Tears
U.S.
·
Jan 15, 2024 · BabylonBee.com
Article Image
U.S. — The source of an unexpected overnight surge in precipitation across the United States has now been discovered, as a team of meteorologists revealed it to be caused by the tears of Dallas Cowboys fans.

The team, which held the No. 2 seed in the NFC playoff bracket, was soundly pummeled at home by the Green Bay Packers last night, causing millions of Cowboys fans throughout the country to weep uncontrollably, combining with the ongoing polar vortex to unleash yet another wave of heavy precipitation.

"'America's Team' is responsible for America's winter storms," said meteorologist Pete Benson. "We've noticed a startling trend over the last few decades. Every January, immediately following the Cowboys' season unceremoniously ending, there is a sudden wave of precipitation across the country. The tears of Cowboys fans would be the most logical explanation. Scientifically speaking, that team really eats it."

Sources at the National Weather Service confirmed reports that the Cowboy's annual failure is the likely cause of the rise in precipitation. "I'm afraid the rumors are true," said Dr. Frederick Von Hammerstein. "The Dallas Cowboys' bizarre tradition of crushing the hopes and dreams of their fans results in an annual barrage of precipitation throughout the nation each winter. Fascinating, but very sad."

At publishing time, scientists were also reportedly working on a theory based around the idea that increased seismic activity each fall may be linked to angry baseball fans flying into simultaneous rages each year when the Los Angeles Dodgers win the NL West division title.

SirAndrewD

All things considered I handle it pretty well.

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

solops

We lost water this morning. The high for the last 60 hours has been 20 deg F, the low 11. I thought we had the weather beat, as it is supposed to be back above freezing tomorrow, but alas, no. Our well, pump and cistern are 100 yards behind the house. Everything works, the ESM, transfer pump, etc., but it just got too cold. Something froze up. I knew it was trouble when the cistern froze over. And now I have a teeny leak in the transfer pump control run. I cranked up the little pumphouse heater and pray nothing busts. Our temps are nothing so severe as in the states north of us, but our little systems are not designed for prolonged freezing and my customizations proved inadequate this time.  No water = no pasta, no rice, no coffee, no flushing.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Tripoli

Quote from: solops on January 16, 2024, 01:09:00 PMWe lost water this morning. The high for the last 60 hours has been 20 deg F, the low 11. I thought we had the weather beat, as it is supposed to be back above freezing tomorrow, but alas, no. Our well, pump and cistern are 100 yards behind the house. Everything works, the ESM, transfer pump, etc., but it just got too cold. Something froze up. I knew it was trouble when the cistern froze over. And now I have a teeny leak in the transfer pump control run. I cranked up the little pumphouse heater and pray nothing busts. Our temps are nothing so severe as in the states north of us, but our little systems are not designed for prolonged freezing and my customizations proved inadequate this time.  No water = no pasta, no rice, no coffee, no flushing.

Sorry to hear about your water problem.  FWIW, You can drain the water in your hot water heater for 30-60 gal. worth of water to tide you over for cooking/cleaning/drinking purposes

W8taminute

That sucks solops.  Sorry to hear that.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

solops

Some good news...my wife and son heeded my paranoia and filled both bathtubs yesterday. We can flush! Huzzah!

It's the little things in life....
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Gusington

^Good luck. I love my house but after 20 years on a well and septic...I feel your pain.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Wow, the high today in central Alabama was 29.  I made the mistake of jaunting outside in short sleeves. 

Tonight's going to be bad. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

Were you wearing pants at least?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd