Main Menu

SpaceX

Started by steve58, April 13, 2015, 03:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rekim

Plenty of spacecraft are using a low thrust version of this type of thruster today

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ion_thruster

They require virtually no propellant (thus the attraction) but generate thrust that was once described to me as being equivalent to that of a sheet of paper falling on to your hand. The spacecraft operating them are in zero gravity and the thrusters can be operated for extended periods of time, so this works well for station keeping maneuvers on spacecraft which are already on station (parked) and just need a miniscule adjustment to keep things pointed correctly/orbit adjusted. This type of thruster would not be up to the task of orbit raising or interstellar operations. The variable specific impulse magnetoplasma rockets sounds much better suited for those applications.

steve58

Another launch/landing attempt this Sunday....and they're going back to a sea platform landing.

SpaceX is planning to try another epic rocket landing during a satellite launch Sunday (Jan. 17), according to media reports.

The private spaceflight company aims to bring the first stage of its two-stage Falcon 9 rocket back for a soft touchdown on an uncrewed ship in the Pacific Ocean during Sunday's launch of the Jason-3 Earth-observation satellite from Vandenberg Air Force Base in California.

http://news.discovery.com/space/private-spaceflight/spacex-to-make-next-rocket-landing-attempt-sunday-160112.htm
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

steve58

Space X has released a new video of their successful launch/sat deployment/1st stage landing mission.  The video shows some new angles/shots...very reminiscent of the Apollo missions.    O0

http://www.space.com/31593-spacex-celebrates-as-falcon-9-sticks-its-landing-video.html
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Rekim

Quote from: steve58 on January 13, 2016, 09:17:07 AM
Space X has released a new video of their successful launch/sat deployment/1st stage landing mission.  The video shows some new angles/shots...very reminiscent of the Apollo missions.    O0

http://www.space.com/31593-spacex-celebrates-as-falcon-9-sticks-its-landing-video.html

That was AWESOME!

thanks for sharing Steve

steve58

steve58

Looks like they would have nailed it except for the broken landing leg....not sure if the landing impact broke the leg or what ???

OJsDad

I'll admit, I wasn't a fan of cutting NASA's budget and basically getting them out of the rocket/spacecraft business.  But with what SpaceX and Blue Origin are doing give me a lot of hope. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

steve58

Ice is being blamed as the problem...

The lockout collet on one of the rocket's four legs didn't latch, leading to the mishap, SpaceX CEO Elon Musk wrote in a post on Twitter and Instagram.

"Root cause may have been ice buildup due to condensation from heavy fog at liftoff," he said.

Rekim

sorry for going OT but just had to share this spectacular vid of another rocket landing gone bad. Incredible footage.

steve58

^ouch, thanks for posting it.

steve58

Congrats to Blue Origin for first re-use of a booster: Blue Origin Successfully Re-Flies and Lands New Shepard Rocket

The private space industry is off to a great start in 2016...

steve58

Well, the one Space X launch I didn't pay attention too, is the one where they nail the ocean barge landing!  5th times the charm.  Congrats Space X!  O0

http://www.space.com/32518-spacex-nails-ocean-barge-landing-on-5th-try-video.html

http://www.space.com/32517-spacex-sticks-rocket-landing-sea-dragon-launch.html

Rekim

Sadly, the landing video is almost boring compared to the failed attempts.

It still boggles my mind that anyone one even think to attempt this. Incredible stuff.

DoctorQuest

Quote from: steve58 on April 08, 2016, 06:44:39 PM
Well, the one Space X launch I didn't pay attention too, is the one where they nail the ocean barge landing!  5th times the charm.  Congrats Space X!  O0

http://www.space.com/32518-spacex-nails-ocean-barge-landing-on-5th-try-video.html

http://www.space.com/32517-spacex-sticks-rocket-landing-sea-dragon-launch.html

As a card-carrying life-time space geek I am very excited about this.  :D
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

MetalDog

That's outstanding!
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob