About 8,000 US troops are deploying to secure evacuations from Kabul

Started by Lowenstaat, August 12, 2021, 10:06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

If anyone's interested in the Soviet-Afghan War from 79-89, read 'Afghantsy' by Roderic Braithwaite. I finished it a couple of weeks ago and its a great book.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

MikeGER

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on August 15, 2021, 01:05:13 PM
hoping for no Saigon visuals.
here you go   

now

and then

at least the Chinook got some upgrades :-\

MikeGER

Quote from: Gusington on August 15, 2021, 05:08:07 PM
If anyone's interested in the Soviet-Afghan War from 79-89, read 'Afghantsy' by Roderic Braithwaite. I finished it a couple of weeks ago and its a great book.

i still have this
https://www.battlefront.com/soviet-afghan-war/cm-afghanistan/

(when Germany deployed to Stan i once tried to mod-in some vehicles from the German Modul of CM SF but with mixed success and not the tenacity to bring it to an public presentable end ...not to speek about legal issues in the wake )

MikeGER

strategic
lesson learned

We can't win a heart and minds war if the society who we want to get Westernized nation building
actually wants to live in a medieval tribal structure state, ruled by local lords and their council of elderly.
Well, beside a small group of interllectuals in the big cities pampered by oxymoron NGOs and media,
who all have their own agenda and don't want to see or report the unwanted truth: They just dont want LGBTQ+ rights, only prosperity. 

Nation building only works if there was a real nation before (like Japan or Germany) and you have to rebuild the nation up from a still smoldering ground, actually from the Ground Zero of a Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
You have to break the will to fight and to let go of its former beloved ideology of each and every individual in country, or lose.
And you have to break a ton of eggs to get that omlett.

This war, like Vietnam, or any hot war after WW2 was lost at the homefront. When a sizable chunk of the western population  (blown out of proportion by left media on top)  mourns the loss of one of a Taliban lieutenants wifes and his flock of toddlers (unfortunately caught in the blast of a Hellfire from MQ9 to take him out of the game), more then the loss of one of our own boys trapped in an ambush days before, and made possible by "friendly villagers in the daylight", reporting in the very position to enemy elements when you turn your back on them for a minute in the night, new dug well and gift of Hilux to the chief or not 

if the homefront, steered up by (social)media had the same attitude in the 1940ies like nowadays , you all would speak Japanese now , bow to the actual Tenno , and celebrate Pearl Harbor as the liberation of Hawaii from the bata kusai yankees

... its to sad  :( 

Jarhead0331

Quote from: MikeGER on August 16, 2021, 03:01:07 AM

at least the Chinook got some upgrades :-\

It wasn't a ch-47 chinook in Vietnam. It was a ch-46 sea knight.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

MikeGER

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 16, 2021, 06:57:08 AM

my fault,  :-[

...isn't at least the CH-47 not a kind of offspring for the US Army of the US Navy CH-46 design ;-)

Anguille

Quote from: MikeGER on August 16, 2021, 04:52:31 AM
We can't win a heart and minds war if the society who we want to get Westernized nation building
actually wants to live in a medieval tribal structure state, ruled by local lords and their council of elderly.
Well, beside a small group of interllectuals in the big cities pampered by oxymoron NGOs and media,
who all have their own agenda and don't want to see or report the unwanted truth: They just dont want LGBTQ+ rights, only prosperity. 
I disagree. The society and the women want to have a free and modern society. The problem i see is that the afghan army was almost non-existant (many on the payroll but not on the field) and the ones in the army were mostly there for the money. The logistics also fell apart (no supply in food, amunition nor repair). The Taliban almost did not have to fight to win. You need a federal system with a federal type of army for Afghanistan with federaly supply and logistics for the army. It was just to easy for the Taliban.

Also, there are 4 majors ethnic groups in the country. The Talibans come mostly from one group, the Pashtuns (the vast majority of them live in Pakistan).

Anguille

Quote from: MikeGER on August 16, 2021, 04:52:31 AM
if the homefront, steered up by (social)media had the same attitude in the 1940ies like nowadays , you all would speak Japanese now , bow to the actual Tenno , and celebrate Pearl Harbor as the liberation of Hawaii from the bata kusai yankees
The Allies could have stayed 50 more years in Afghanistan and still fail i you don't have the right strategy. The country wouldn't have fallen apart in 10 days after 20 years of build up if things had been done correctly (that and a huge amount of corruption in the country).

Jarhead0331

Quote from: MikeGER on August 16, 2021, 07:21:45 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 16, 2021, 06:57:08 AM

my fault,  :-[

...isn't at least the CH-47 not a kind of offspring for the US Army of the US Navy CH-46 design ;-)

Well, I don't know the development history of the two aircraft, but they were both certainly designed by Vertol and manufactured by Boeing, so they definitely share the same DNA.  :crazy2:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

The new video and still shot of the US plane taking off from Kabul airport as 100s of Afghans run after it is heartbreaking. That said, as much as it sucks, I don't think there is anything else we could do there, after 20 years. Maybe our exit could have been handled differently, I don't know...but we can't and should not stay there forever.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd