Wargame: Red Dragon

Started by Jarhead0331, March 29, 2014, 10:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on March 30, 2014, 11:46:51 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 30, 2014, 11:38:16 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on March 30, 2014, 11:08:26 AM
Wow...now I have to try and get it...just curious, is there any videos available showing the slowed down modes?  Would like to possibly see it in action first.

Dude, come on. slow is slow, very slow is very slow. Bullet time is not moving. You really need to see this?

Just was curious to see what difference it had on gameplay and yes I know it slows things down:)

Damn you! You totally stole my comedic thunder there.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mikeck

This is the sole determining factor if I buy this game. And yes, I know you were all worried about whether I was going to buy. Anyway, if I can slow things down like 25%-50%, and that could apply to the older editions as well, I'm in and might actually try to play the game
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

Upon further experimentation, I will say this...the time compression features could use a little more tweaking.

Bullet time is not paused...its just REALLY really slow...great for issuing orders, but too slow for watching the action unfold.  Perhaps more important, there does not seem to be much of a difference between "very slow" and "slow" and some people around here would probably argue that both are too fast.  I think they should make "very slow" a good bit slower and "slow" a little slower, as well. Normal is still too fast for the average player.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Great Ajax

I was on the fence since Airland Battle gave me everything I really wanted and I am not real keen on the Asian theater.  Skirmish mode, 25% off, and adjustable time just pushed me over.  It would be nice if they imported the maps from Airland Battle.  A WW2 version of the game would be pretty cool too with the deck builder options.  Time to build my Soviet Paratroopers again. 

Trey

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 30, 2014, 12:24:32 PM
Upon further experimentation, I will say this...the time compression features could use a little more tweaking.

Bullet time is not paused...its just REALLY really slow...great for issuing orders, but too slow for watching the action unfold.  Perhaps more important, there does not seem to be much of a difference between "very slow" and "slow" and some people around here would probably argue that both are too fast.  I think they should make "very slow" a good bit slower and "slow" a little slower, as well. Normal is still too fast for the average player.

Zulu1966

Quote from: Great Ajax on March 30, 2014, 12:33:59 PM
I was on the fence since Airland Battle gave me everything I really wanted and I am not real keen on the Asian theater.  Skirmish mode, 25% off, and adjustable time just pushed me over.  It would be nice if they imported the maps from Airland Battle.  A WW2 version of the game would be pretty cool too with the deck builder options.  Time to build my Soviet Paratroopers again. 

Trey

Yep - having just bought it and tried it out - I would fully agree with that. Why they cant just put a slider in and let us make our own minds up is a mystery.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Zulu1966 on March 30, 2014, 01:36:34 PM

Trey

Yep - having just bought it and tried it out - I would fully agree with that. Why they cant just put a slider in and let us make our own minds up is a mystery.

A slider is a great idea.  However, what they have now is far better than nothing and it would seem to me that it is something that should be fairly easy to tweak. Lets see how it plays out.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Zulu1966

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 30, 2014, 02:19:30 PM
Quote from: Zulu1966 on March 30, 2014, 01:36:34 PM

Trey

A slider is a great idea.  However, what they have now is far better than nothing and it would seem to me that it is something that should be fairly easy to tweak. Lets see how it plays out.

Yes ... well its certainly a hundred times more playable for me now on very slow so that's good news. Only issue I have is the thing crashing every time  after about ten minutes of play. Are you getting that ?

Still it looks good to me - if they could get very slow to about 50 % slower than it is now that would be great.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Gusington

The speed adjustment is great news even if it isn't perfect yet...definitely buying now.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MikeGER

any news if that will be (or already got patched) implemented into  Wargame: Air Land battle too ?
(i fired W:ALB it up yesterday just for a quick glance and didn't saw it in the options menu so)

undercovergeek

I read somewhere it wouldn't be backwards compatible..... don't have a source sorry

PanzersEast

Played some last night and the slider is for sure a step in the right direction and like JH said could use a little tweaking but playable for me now.  Myself and the Opfor took up defensive positions along a river and it turned into slugfest, the game lasted a long while playing on very slow but that is exactly what I wanted.  Will be interesting to see how allowing the AI to use custom decks to create Infantry and small arms battles etc..... so far, they are headed in the right direction and it for me is far better than the previous offerings.

PE

Gusington

The game is set up with different campaigns, correct? I haven't played any of the previous games in the series.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

fran

Quote from: Gusington on March 31, 2014, 08:40:37 AM
The game is set up with different campaigns, correct? I haven't played any of the previous games in the series.

Correct, played a bit of the campaigns in WALB, but did not grab my attention. Campaigns to be improved further in Red Dragon, but no sign of it yet in the Beta. Sorry it is a multiplayer Beta, although you can play campaigns multiplayer?

or ships....only the biggest selling point of the game. Makes you wonder if not included from day one in the Beta, is it broken?

I created my first Red Dragon deck (China + NKorea) over the weekend, and is good fun.

GDS_Starfury

Give Gus a slider and he'll be fapping it back and forth all day.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd