Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Bigglesworth

The Battle of Midway. $1.99 today on Amazon
:D
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

JasonPratt

Between my various technical reading (none of it currently groggy), I've started reading the web original supersized novel Worm. (Clocks at 1.60+ million words, or a little more than ten times my first novel Cry of Justice PLUG PLUG  >:D .)

It's a urban fantasy superhero epic, possibly inspired by MMOs like City of Heroes and/or RPGs of a similar sort; but it reads more like a manga/anime shonen (dueling) high school-age series.

This means the main character and lots of prime characters are teenagers -- in this case, a fifteen year old high-school sophomore girl with some Peter Parkerish social issues. (And some rather different 'spider-powers' as she can mentally control insects, but has no bodily powers of her own. Her first fight is against an up-and-coming gang villain with Hulk powers, if by Hulk you mean "turns progressively into an iron dragon with Human Torch abilities."  :o 8) )

Which, yeah, if riding along with an angsty teen girl is not a selling point for you (it almost isn't for me), I can totally understand. But the style also means there's a ridiculously detailed amount of worldbuilding and tons of characters who are rounded and/or dynamic, and plenty of tactical / strategic fighting which I would think any grog would love, with (unlike the Wild Cards series of novels and short stories, so far as I recall) an ongoing increasingly epic plotline.

Which is what sold me on starting the series.

Set in in the late 90s (I think?), the first superhero, "Scion" -- a reclusive and sad Superman expy with long white hair and golden skin -- somehow seemed to trigger the emergence of parahumans after his first appearance in 1985. Heroes began grouping first, but supervillains followed soon afterward, and now a large number of parahuman groups and individuals dot the world with more coming into new powers every day. Different continents and nations are handling the situation somewhat differently, although the US government and Canada have sanctioned several official groups, the largest of which is the Protectorate. Taylor Hebert, a 15-year-old high-school girl, has grown up in this world, and is currently consumed with bully problems and having recently lost her mother, plus secretly studying her newly emerging bug-control powers (which extend to spiders and similar creatures, not just insects). But while there's a lot of grey-on-grey morality, with heroes and villains (grouped or individual) ranging across the board in their relative ethics, the world is slowly being torn apart as seriously insane and/or evil people develop powers and discover ways to make life on Earth hell, requiring the heroes and villains to set aside their cop-and-robber games to take them down.

Which doesn't count the kaiju-sized creatures starting to show up and raze cities for inscrutable reasons (rather like the Angels on Neo Genesis Evangelion).

What can a little bug-girl, living in a Boston-ish Northeastern US coastal city, do about any of that? Especially when she's picked up early by a potentially dangerous local supervillain gang?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

airboy

Staggerwing

Grabbed Midway toot sweet.

They also have 'Tiger Tracks' and 'The Last Panther', both by Wolfgang Faust, for 3 bucks US each. The books are first-hand accounts, respectively, of the war on the eastern front and the final days of the Reich, both from a tanker's perspective.

Now they are also both mine.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MinmatarCitizen

Just finished "A Tomb Called Iwo Jima" and it was pretty damned interesting.  It dealt with first hand accounts of the battle from the Japanese perspective.
I Stand For Brutal Frankness

Sir Slash

Just finished re-reading for the second time, The Gothic War by Torsten Jacobsen. Currently re-reading for the second time, Eden to Armageddon- WWI In the Middle East by Roger Ford. But waiting for Prit Buttar's second book on WWI in the east, Germany Ascendant which should be out right now.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

Let us know how Germany Ascendant is...been looking at that for a while.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

airboy

Quote from: airboy on July 29, 2015, 07:42:38 PM
Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on July 29, 2015, 12:46:00 PM
The Battle of Midway. $1.99 today on Amazon
:D

Got that one.

This was a very good book.  I've read several Midway books.

The Battle of Midway (Pivotal Moments in American History) Kindle Edition by Craig L. Symonds - this was excellent.
Miracle at Midway
Incredible Victory by Lord

I've read all of the major overview books now but Shattered Sword.

Greybriar

I just started reading Thunder Run: The Armored Strike to Capture Baghdad by David Zucchino.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

bob48

Quote from: Greybriar on August 06, 2015, 03:04:23 PM
I just started reading Thunder Run: The Armored Strike to Capture Baghdad by David Zucchino.

Its a fantastic read - hope you enjoy it as much as I did. O0
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Gusington

Just started Rome's Gothic Wars by Michael Kulikowski. Tearing through a lot of the ancient Rome books I've bought through the years.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Finished John Dies At The End.

Starting on This Book Is Full Of Spiders.

;)

JasonPratt

This forum, incidentally, is full of spiders at the moment, too!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Mr. Bigglesworth

Do you feel the silky spider love?
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598