Naval Gunnery Question

Started by Gusington, February 03, 2012, 10:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

I just read that some of the largest naval guns of the WWI era could fire a projectile up to 35km. In my head that is roughly about 60 miles. So, in theory, a WWI battleship could have fired it's largest guns while sitting in New York Harbor and hit my house up at West Point. Is this true? It seems amazing.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

You're converting in the wrong direction, Gus. 35km is about 21 miles. And that was roughly the max range for the largest naval guns (figure 15-inch) in WWI. Still pretty amazing.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

Oh. Well that's embarrassing. Now I feel like a ninny nanny. But there is a bright side. If a hostile yet backward power ever enters New York Harbor with WWI era battleships, my house is safe.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Trust me, if that's the worst thing that happens to you today you're doing just fine. And it is good to know that you'd be out of the danger zone of battleship fire. And you're probably okay should Godzilla come ashore in NYC. Looks like you might be effed if Indian Point ever went China Syndrome, though.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

LongBlade

Quote from: mirth on February 03, 2012, 11:43:56 AM
Trust me, if that's the worst thing that happens to you today you're doing just fine. And it is good to know that you'd be out of the danger zone of battleship fire. And you're probably okay should Godzilla come ashore in NYC. Looks like you might be effed if Indian Point ever went China Syndrome, though.

Agreed, Godzilla should be fine. Let's just hope he never saw Clash of the Titans.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

^Hmm. That may be an issue. My dog may be able to handle it though.

Indian Point is a concern. It may be close to getting shut down if our Governor has his way.

The range of that accidental blast would be at least 35km/60 miles :)

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Much as I do love talking about Godzilla, the Kraken and nuclear disasters, here's a nice site about battleship gunnery:

http://www.cityofart.net/bship/gunnery.html

And a couple of cool pics of 15-inch guns:

LongBlade

Wow. Thanks for that. Good stuff.

Gusington

In the original article I was reading that led to me spouting this thread it was commented that there is probably no one left alive who has ever heard a 15 inch gun firing.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on February 03, 2012, 01:38:07 PM
In the original article I was reading that led to me spouting this thread it was commented that there is probably no one left alive who has ever heard a 15 inch gun firing.

Something sits in the back of my mind that the last time a battleship fired its guns in anger was Gulf War I. I might be wrong there, but I think I'm not. It was the last thing done before the Iowa was retired, IIRC.

Could be I'm wrong - it appears that the New Jersey used its guns in Lebanon. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Iowa_%28BB-61%29

Maybe some naval gurus here can shed some light on that.

And oh-by-the-way the Iowa had 16 inch guns, not 15.  :o

Gusington

I definitely remember the USS Missouri using its guns in 1991, but I don't know how big the Missouri's guns are (15 inch or not).

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Missouri's an Iowa-class. They carried 16-inch guns.

Edit: Sorry LB, you already said that.

Greybriar

Quote from: Gusington on February 03, 2012, 01:45:58 PM
I definitely remember the USS Missouri using its guns in 1991, but I don't know how big the Missouri's guns are (15 inch or not).
The USS Missouri had 16 inch guns. I Googled it and my memory was correct:
QuoteThe nine 16-inch guns are the Mighty Mo's trademark feature. Each gun barrel is to  approximately 67 feet long, weighs an incredible 116 tons, and can fire a 2,700-pound shell 23 miles in 50 seconds — with pinpoint accuracy.

There are some photos of her guns being fired on this site.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Gusington

So I suppose the original author (over at SimHQ) was correct about the 15 inch guns.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

MIGMaster

Rumour has it that after some of the Saudis witnessed a BB fire mission during Gulf War 1 they said they wanted to get one ! I forget what book I read that in - it may have been Sabre Squadron ????????