Naval Gunnery Question

Started by Gusington, February 03, 2012, 10:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

My Grandfather absolutely drank it away. Poor guy. And there I was a little rug rat, playing with toy soldiers and looking up to him as the greatest hero I ever knew. Still do (the hero part not the toy soldiers part). It must have been very hard for him, and my Grandmother, at a minimum.

I don't know anything about the experiences of my other Grandfather in the Navy. I don't even know where he was stationed other than 'on a destroyer.' And that may not even be accurate...I don't even know if destroyers during WWII had their own weathermen!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Not sure about weathermen on individual ships.

I had an uncle in flight school who died in a motorcycle accident, but his graduation would have put him in a unit after the war was over.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

^Yeah that's what I mean. I would just hazard a guess that destroyers weren't important enough then to warrant getting their own weather dude. I would think he would be on a bigger ship. Which nicely completes the circle and brings us back to battleships :) Or close anyway.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on February 06, 2012, 12:30:07 PM
^Yeah that's what I mean. I would just hazard a guess that destroyers weren't important enough then to warrant getting their own weather dude. I would think he would be on a bigger ship. Which nicely completes the circle and brings us back to battleships :) Or close anyway.

Battleships rock. I wish I had one.

Gusington

And here we are again. I want a dreadnaught, not just an ordinary battleship :)
I'll name it the USS Portmanteau.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

MIGMaster

If you guys want to wait until after payday I'll chip in !

LongBlade

Quote from: MIGMaster on February 06, 2012, 01:05:36 PM
If you guys want to wait until after payday I'll chip in !

We'll still need a Letter of Marque to make it any fun.

Gusington

I feel a great game coming on here. A dreadnought[naught?] pirate simulation. Take to the high seas circa 1900 and seize what should be yours, using your 15" guns to blow away any naval forces that stand in your way!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on February 06, 2012, 01:42:36 PM
I feel a great game coming on here. A dreadnought[naught?] pirate simulation. Take to the high seas circa 1900 and seize what should be yours, using your 15" guns to blow away any naval forces that stand in your way!

Gus you ought to see if you can get a copy of the boardgame (really minis) Fear God and Dread Naught. Created by Larry Bond, imagine a naval minis game played in an area about the size of your local grocery store's parking lot. Heh.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Wow I can get a copy for $10.00! But can I play alone?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on February 06, 2012, 01:52:26 PM
Wow I can get a copy for $10.00! But can I play alone?

Not sure. I bought a copy for like $90 when it was first issued.

This is a fairly complex minis game. You probably can play alone, but it will be better with friends. For $10, it's probably worth having just to have. Especially given the fact that you love the subject.

Windigo

You guys are seriously in the running for thread twits.

OK so we agree that BBs are cool and that we want one, but what one would you want?

The Bismark? The Tirpitz?
The Yamamoto?
Maybe the Mighty Mo?
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.