Naval Gunnery Question

Started by Gusington, February 03, 2012, 10:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

Mirth, these newsreels could be just about anything.  I saw some that showed germans manning equipment, and how British Pathe got those is a mystery, unless it was after the war.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

mirth

Quote from: besilarius on April 17, 2012, 06:57:48 PM
Mirth, these newsreels could be just about anything.  I saw some that showed germans manning equipment, and how British Pathe got those is a mystery, unless it was after the war.

What I figured. It's still very cool footage. Thanks again.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

besilarius

USS Texas has a near miss off Omaha Beach.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"With your eyes closed?"

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Gusington

A near miss with one of those things is still close enough sometimes ;)

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Airborne Rifles

The USS North Carolina is moored in Wilmington, NC.  I visited it a couple of times when I was living near there and it is a very cool experience.  I've read that the USS Texas is the last surviving dreadnought in the world and it is moored at the San Jacinto battlefield.  I'd like to get over there some time.

Gus, have you read Neptune's Inferno by James Hornfisher?  It's a history of the naval battles around Guadalcanal and the climax of those battles was a one-on-one duel between the USS Washington and the IJN Kirishima.  One of the best written books I've read in a while.  Dreadnought and Castles of Steel by Robert Massie are really good as well and have all the information you could want about the evolution of the modern battleship.

Gusington

Neptune'd Inferno...I will check it out. Massie is one of my favorite history authors. I loved Dreadnought. I have Castles of Steel waiting to be read...trying to match it with the perfect PC game.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

republic

I'm late to see this.  +1 to Neptune's Inferno, great book!

Also Norman Friedman's U.S. Battleships: An Illustrated Design History is a great read for theoretical designs and 'what might have been'.

besilarius

Here is a report on testing done at the Naval Weapons Center in Dahlgren, Va. on a turret made for the IJN Shinano/Yamato class.

http://www.navweaps.com/index_tech/tech-040.htm

Interesting results and conclusions by the Dahlgren staff.

"With your eyes closed?"

Staggerwing

Interesting. Is the Dahlgren center related in any way to the guy who designed the guns for the USS Monitor? His name was also Dahlgren IIRC.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

besilarius

Yes, the center was named for him.
Not sure if it is open to the public on certain days, used to have tours once or twice a year.
They have more junk stored there than you can shake a stick at.  After all the rebuilding done on the World War II destroyers (FRAM program), the 40mm Bofors guns were taken off.  (Contrary to the summer movie, Battleship).  For some reason all the east coast ships sent their mounts to Dahlgren.  A friend who works there told me that they're all still there.  Waiting in case someone else tries kamikaze tactics.
The Bofors was a good, maybe a great gun, but with it's limited range and reliance on the Mark I, Mod 0 eyeball for engaging the enemy, I doubt it would have much use today.
Now if Iran, or someplace, tried using masses of speed boats, then the Bofors might have a purpose again.

"With your eyes closed?"