Marine traffic map

Started by Jack Nastyface, August 29, 2013, 03:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Nastyface

My G-d I love the interwebnets for this kind of stuff...

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/

Jack Nastyface
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

mirth

That map is very cool. I had mentioned it once as part of another thread.

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=1604.msg35703#msg35703
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

that maps answers 2 major Earth-shattering questions:

1.  Yes, we should definitely rebuild New Orleans with everything we can.

2.  No, it's not safe to waterski off the Netherlands
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

LongBlade

I saw all those boxes and immediately started looking for where the U-boats might be lurking.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

mirth

Quote from: LongBlade on August 29, 2013, 06:11:21 PM
I saw all those boxes and immediately started looking for where the U-boats might be lurking.

I looked at it saw the next Happy Time.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

besilarius

Wonder if it shows small boats, like fishing vessels?  The English Channel is set up like a roadway, if you are heading east, your shipping path is close to France.  If you head west, your lane is close to England.
But there are always small fishing fleets out there, and it could easily be Whack a Mole.  They're all over the damn place and act like no one else is out with them.  At night it's really scary because they have banks of lights hanging over the water to bring fish to the surface.
Really screws up your night vision and hides their own running lights.  The number of near collisions is enough to make you gag.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Centurion40

I've spotted some fishing vessels.  Zero in on the coast around Maine, Nova Scotia, and Massachusetts.
Any time is a good time for pie.

mirth

Interesting, most of what is being tracked off Maine is pleasure craft. That means there's a lot of traffic that isn't showing up on that site.

Centurion40

Then scoot over to Nova Scotia then up to Newfoundland.

LongBlade

Maybe it only tracks craft with some kind of transponder? You'd expect that with big commercial vessels. Not so much with a 30' sailboat.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

mirth

It made me curious, so I poked around the site. Most of their data comes from AIS transponders which are required on all passenger ships and other vessels depending on a combination of gross tonnage and use. There are voluntary methods of reporting for other craft, but it looks like most of the ships shown are required to carry the transponders.

Centurion40

There is a color code.  Dark blue seems to be ferries and cruise ships, light purple seems to be sailing vessels, light blue seems to be pilot boats, tugs and government (police, coast guard) , orange seems to be fishing vessels, and red seems to be tankers, and light green seems to be cargo ships.