STEAM 2020 Winter Sale Loot

Started by Ian C, December 23, 2020, 06:06:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bardolph

I looked hard at several serious, respectable wargame type things like War in the West and Command Ops stuff, and at Fantasy Grounds for maybe running skirmish style games or even old school stuff like black book Traveller or Runequest (especially since I bought the Campaign Cartographer 3 Mapping bundle over at Humble last month and have been delving into that). And at lots of DLC for games I already own and enjoy, like Warhammer: Gladius and Battletech and Total WarHammer.

In the end all I bought was Fall Guys, which my nephews have been playing and trying to get their dad and myself to join them in. Now I am competing nightly to beat vast hordes of 10 year olds (from what I can tell, who knows?) in what would appear to be a rather simple obstacle course game with shades of Takashi's Castle, but turns out to be rather difficult to actually WIN at.

So it's come to this.

al_infierno

I finally picked up Jupiter Hell since I've had my eye on it for a while, plus a few other roguelikes because they were cheap.  Legion's Crawl, Haque, and Dawn of the Mexica.  Will likely spend the most time with Jupiter Hell as I really dig the tactical firearms style combat and not many other roguelikes do it.  Plus DoomRL was one of my favorite classic roguelikes, and Jupiter Hell is basically a commercial version of that.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao