What's Cool in Science This Week?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 09, 2017, 11:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windigo

I was all over that news item too. Then I read about the planets size.... ooof the Gravity....
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

MikeGER

Quote from: Windigo on September 18, 2023, 12:41:11 PM... ooof the Gravity....

the gravity on the "surface" is only about 27% more then on earth , so 1.27g 
(its heavier but also has a larger radius which comtributs squared in the calc :Nerd:)

if it has the speculated ocean gravity can be compensated by buoyancy of things in that biome

on the surface i expect possible life-forms to be sturdier, short, even flat with an evolutionary  benefit for many short legs  ..something like a Trilobite , Horseshoe crabs, ...

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Sir Slash

The PUG PLANET!!! I finally found it! You guys come visit some time OK?  :ThumbsUp:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Windigo

Quote from: MikeGER on September 19, 2023, 08:41:30 AM
Quote from: Windigo on September 18, 2023, 12:41:11 PM... ooof the Gravity....

the gravity on the "surface" is only about 27% more then on earth , so 1.27g 
(its heavier but also has a larger radius which comtributs squared in the calc :Nerd:)

if it has the speculated ocean gravity can be compensated by buoyancy of things in that biome

on the surface i expect possible life-forms to be sturdier, short, even flat with an evolutionary  benefit for many short legs  ..something like a Trilobite , Horseshoe crabs, ...

Looking at our own deep sea dwellers ... everything from crustaceans, sponges, mollusks to vertebrates.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

steve58

Bennu asteroid sample returing to Earth on Sunday.

After spending over seven years in space and traveling nearly 4 billion miles, a capsule containing precious asteroid samples will return to Earth on Sunday.

NASA's OSIRIS-REx spacecraft – which stands for Origins, Spectral Interpretation, Resource Identification, and Security–Regolith Explorer – launched in 2016 to conduct the agency's first mission to gather material from an asteroid in space. A capsule containing nearly 9 ounces of rocks, dust and dirt collected from an asteroid named Bennu will detach from OSIRIS-REx before its expected crash inside the Defense Department's Utah Test and Training Rage where teams from NASA and Lockheed Martin, which built the vehicle, will be awaiting its arrival.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

GDS_Starfury

we now have space dust!  what could possibly go wrong.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

steve58

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on September 24, 2023, 10:54:28 AMwe now have space dust!  what could possibly go wrong.

(poster from The X from Outer Space.)
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

GDS_Starfury

steve58

QuoteBlack dust and debris were found on the avionics deck of the canister containing the first deep space asteroid sample captured in U.S. history.

NASA scientists made the discovery after the aluminum lid was removed from the OSIRIS-REx mission's canister, which completed its 7-year-long mission

"The dust is presumed to be a part of the sample," a spokesperson for NASA's Johnson Space Center told Fox News, adding the scientists plan to conduct a quick look analysis on it. "This was expected and was always a part of the curation procedures."

The sample will be revealed in a live stream on NASA's website on Oct. 11 at 11 a.m. ET.

http://www.foxnews.com/media/nasa-finds-rocks-inside-space-capsule-carrying-asteroid-samples

Hope this reveal is more interesting that Al Capone's vault and the West Point time capsule.  :laugh:

Sir Slash

They call that, 'Dust'? I got more dust than that in my easy chair after I get up out of it and nobody's studying it. Bunch a uppity NASA-Holes.  :grumpy:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

GDS_Starfury

so many different way I could respond to that Slash...

Sir Slash

steve58

GDS_Starfury

thats totally the generation ship that brought us here.