Soviet Anti-Carrier Doctrine

Started by Airborne Rifles, December 17, 2014, 09:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

from the naval perspective the Russians are totally outclassed and outnumbered.  we have more subs alone then they have actual combat and logistics ships.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

mirth

I was thinking we're more making giants out of the ChiComms the days.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Airborne Rifles

Present day relative naval strength aside, no reactions to photos of three US flattops in the periscope crosshairs  of a soviet submarine? Made me shiver a bit.

GDS_Starfury

we lose a bunch of carriers a year during various exercises so Ive seen that view a lot before.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on March 16, 2015, 02:56:41 PM
Present day relative naval strength aside, no reactions to photos of three US flattops in the periscope crosshairs  of a soviet submarine? Made me shiver a bit.

It's good, the carrier is not steath, the sub is. So you let them have their bravado picture in peace time so that you can get a really good recording of them. 📡 Makes them easier to spot in war time.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Staggerwing

I do have to say that the Enterprise's outline is pretty obvious in that periscope photo.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

besilarius

The article mentions that Midway went EMCON and moved out, undiscovered.
Something similar happened with the Kitty Hawk. 
The Soviet AGIs relied on passive EW and visual contact to stay in contact with the carriers.  Kitty Hawk had a special trailer on board from the Beachjumper unit.  It recorded everything, down to the flight deck walkie talkies.
At night, the Hawk was in the center of a formation with a Leahy class cruiser two miles astern.  At midnight, the carrier went totally dark and came to a full stop.  The cruiser passed the Hawk and turned on all her topside lights and began broadcasting the tapes.
The formation proceeded with the cruiser acting like the CV and the Soviets followed, fat dumb and happy.
After the group had moved on, the Kitty Hawk turned away and was lost in the dark.
To keep the ploy going a little longer, at first light an F4 flew up to the cruiser at wave top.  As it went past the cruiser, the Phantom turned on it's lights and began a slow climb, like it was just launched.
About an hour later, someone noticed the lack of a carrier.  The tattletale (Maybe a Sam Kotlin) charged in trying to find a carrier.  The sweat must have been falling in a waterfall from the Russian four striper.  Finally, in desperation, he asked the cruiser by flashing light, "Where is Kitty Hawk?"
The captain had been waiting all night for this and replied, "Kitty Hawk is just off the coast of North Carolina."
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Steelgrave